AOL 7.0 a culprit?

Old 09-26-02, 09:00 PM
AOL 7.0 a culprit?

I recently let my wife talk me into taking a chance on a used laptop at a yard sale with no adaptor. It seemed to do okay on the battery until the battery got too weak. The guy I got it from said he may have a power source for it and gave us an adaptor with a block on the end of it, said if it fit would work. I thought this was strange as I have read on different things 'only use adaptor supplied with' whatever it happened to be. The one he gave me looked like it might go to a cordless tool of some sort and it was only 9v. Anyway, I finally get an adaptor/charger for it ($90 18v). I then installed the latest AOL 7.0. Actually, it seems like the disk had 7.05. I would try to defrag the system, it was badly fragmented, and it would get to about 10% and say something like "cannot complete due to errors that must be fixed". I then would run diskscan and get the message "errors found and fixed. Try to boot again an dget error message concerning Office and Find programs. Still would only defrag to 10% and get error message. I used the remove program to uninstall AOL, still no luck. The guy I bough tit from said stuff left on it from AOL caused the problem;even though I used the remove program. He says AOL 7.0 is really made for Windows 2000! Uh? He reinstalled Office and said he removed some left overs from 7.0 and insstalled 6.0. Says he thinks he has it fixed, but not to install 7.0 on it.

Also, when I checked the battery, it showed second battery (nickel cadium?) not present.
i thought it strange when he gave us the first power plug and said "if it fits, it works". I also found it strange when I came back with the new, proper adaptor/charger, He said, "what is this?".

I have 7.0 on this system I use and do npt have Windows 2000. Not happy wiith it sometimes, but it does not corrupt Office and Find. Most ppl I know have 7.0 and do not have windows 2000.

Even after doing the diskscan and the puter saying errors were found and fixed, it would still not defrag due to errors. I would uncheck the auto fix box and see that Office.exe was corrupt.

Odd brand puter IDP laptop. I paid extra to order the adaptor from a shop to be sure the voltage matched.

One charger supplier for a local shop said it was made by a Korean company that cam ein and put a bunch of them on the market and went out of business after about 6 months.

Comments appreciated, tx.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-02, 11:30 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello boman, ever heard of AOHell? Sounds like you are one of their victims. The only reason this company still exists is hyper marketing and praying on the new internet user who thinks or is led to believe that its to hard to do on their own and they will lead them down the road to cyber paradise. If all would dig into the problems caused by AOL like you are here they would lose so many that they would straighten up or fall. An AOL insallation scrambles so many registry entries that you are doomed from the moment you choose install. Uninstalling will most often make things worse and that is by design. I have no idea whether the problems you have with office.exe are AOL related but its doubtful. As for what you ought to do......FORMAT......break that AOL cd into pieces.....re-install.....get a local or national ISP with some integrity.....Happy computing......Mike

Old 09-27-02, 05:18 AM
Heheh, yes, I have jeard of AOL Hell. I have been experiencing it for several years now. But it has never affected my desk computer the way it has the laptop, if thit is the problem. I wondered if could take My installation disk for my desktop and reformat the laptop, or would the numbered key give me problems?My desktop is a Compaq and the installation disk came with it. I do not have Windows installation disk with the laptop.

What about the second battery showing not to be present? Is it supposed to have the nickel cadium battery like the desktop does, or just the one rechargeable battery that slides in and out the side of it? The laptop system just seemed unstable to me. It is about 3 or 4 years old, and I gave $175 for it and $91 for the charger/adaptor. As expensive as they are and it being an off-brand, is worth keeping and getting fixed or upgraded if possible?
He may have it fixed, but I doubt it. My son seems to think it is worth keeping and letting a friend of his fix it. He used one like it in the marines, but don't know if it was rhe same brand. The guy I got it from was just recently in the airforce, maybe it is the same. That makes me wonder why there was no adaptor with it and why he didn't recognize the proper adaptor when he seen it. Maybe it was the property of Uncle Sam.
It has no modem, only....I can't think of what it called now. Something like-DSP/IP. I want it so the internet can be accessed away from a 110 power source. How is that accomplished with laptops? It does have a usb, or whatever, to plug an external modem in, I think.

Hate to be a pain, but thanks for responding.

Old 09-27-02, 07:23 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I really doubt that all of the program problems are AOL related. When I suggest format it is to clear a system of all problems and start over. Looking over your many troubles that seems like a good option to me. I have never had a laptop and know that in many ways they are a different animal so I will yield to others here who would better know about the battery and modem questions etc. If anyone could get a handle on this thing and save the existing system it would be some of these sharp kids. I doubt that your Compaq software package will run on this laptop but some do know how to extract just Windows and anything else you may want. Pursue some of Windows system tools like SFC, registry checker etc. but here I think you will run into the AOL animal before you accomplish much. Best of luck......Mike

Old 09-27-02, 11:06 AM
I understand about the reformatting. Thats what I wish I could do, but I do not have the original disks. I really think I bought some trouble. I am not the type to buy electronics at yard sales. I let my wife talk me into making an exception this time . Plus, he gave me his card and said to let him him know if there was any problems with it. Thought I would take a chance.

Tx for responding.

Old 10-06-02, 04:51 PM
Seerialmom
Visiting Guest
Question AOL7.0 culprit?

Since you said you don't have W2K on this system I figure it's likely W98? I believe pressing the F8 key before Windows starts will give you the option for command prompt and then you can run scandisk followed by defrag without all them pesky TSR's. You also mentioned you didn't have the "original disks"? I think you can still find full versions of 98 to buy "somewhere" (like the Internet).

Last, you said the "2nd Battery" not present. Most laptops have an option to add a 2nd battery; it's not usually included and has to be purchased seperately.

Old 10-06-02, 04:58 PM
if you dont have the orginal disk delete your registry file and boot back up to the os... look up a key on the internet before you do that as you will need after you delete the registry...

Old 10-07-02, 07:16 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Power...

In my opinion whenever you buy a used computer format. No telling what problems the people before you had or what they did to the system. Look around on the drive, see if there are any incriminating files for future blackmail use then format. Go buy your own OS. I would shy away from XP and stay with 2000 or ME. Power supplies differ as much as people do. Polarity, power ratings, filtering. 99% of the time if you look on the unit it will say what polarity and voltage it is or go to the web site and see if you can drum up something there. Using an unknown supply could have fried the laptop so fast you would not have time to react and stop the burnout, count yourself lucky! The supply you have is most likely the correct one, the “Block” on the end of the line is a filter designed to keep out stay RF etc. The battery missing is because some software that is used to detect the battery is probably corrupt or missing. You will need to go to the manufacturer website and get the little extras that came with the laptop when it was new, this should cover your battery, video and audio if installed.