wireless modem

Old 09-29-02, 11:22 AM
wireless modem

Hello:
I want to do a wireless modem connection, because I don't have broadband access. Does anyone know of wireless modem systems? I found only one by net search, and I never see them advertised, even though all computers come with a modem, so many would appreciate the convenience.
My modem connects at 31200bps. Would it slow with wireless, or is it so slow already that I would not notice? If the product is reliable, I would think it would be advertised as a convenient way to surf using a laptop rather than a desktop?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-02, 06:42 PM
I think you may need to approach this from a different angle. If you get a wireless Router. Then set up a simple wireless home network.

Once that is working you can use a desktop with a modem as the connection point to the dialup network. You simply share the internet connection on the desktop and everyone on the wireless network uses it. Doesn't have to be much of a desktop computer. A PII 200 would do, maybe even a P1 166. All it'll be doing is passing data from the Modem to the NIC.

One other option is to get an external modem bank that you can dial into or out of your wireless home network but that is expensive and RAS is not that easy to setup

Old 09-30-02, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the info. That's what I intended to do at first, but none of the wireless networks advertise for modem or telephone connection, they always say for broadband. Is this true?
Also, would I have to have the base desktop connected to the internet by modem befor the laptop could transfer by wireless?
If so, this is more inconvenient than a wireless modem, i guess. I'm still exploring. Please comment further.
Thanks

Old 09-30-02, 12:48 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
How about an Apple AirPort WAP? The first generation had
a 56K modem, although I don't know if you can configure it
on a PC.

Last edited by Gary Tait; 09-30-02 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 05:42 PM
People were sharing internet connections from modems long before cable or dsl access. First time I played around with it was in the early 90's. To help understand you need to look at what you're trying to do as two separate issues.

Issue One: Getting a wireless home network working. Connect all the computers involveled and make sure they see each other through the wireless router. Also, make sure they are all using IP and not netbuei or IPX.

Issue Two: Sharing an internet connection. The easiest way is what I suggested, use and old beatup computer with a modem stuck in a closet or laundry room. Again, you can get modems that attach directly to your router but that is not an easy way to go. Basicaly, if you want to roam the house and yard with your laptop and surf the web something has to make the connection to dial-up account.

The reason you're not finding any devices that offer both wireless networking and dial up is that the market is all in high speed right now. No one sees a market in wireless dialup except via a cell phone. (By the way, have you thought of a cell phone pcmcia card for your laptop?)

Old 10-01-02, 06:49 AM
Hi:
Don't I have to have the desktop modem actually connected to the internet before I can share the connection using a laptop?
If not, don't I have to have the network router on?
If either of these is true, then I have to go to the base computer and either connect or turn on the router, isn't this so?
Therefore, a wireless modem in a different location should allow me laptop access without having to turn on other devices or visit the desktop base computer. Do you agree?
I suspect I must be looking at this wrong, or lots of other people would want to do it. What am I missing?

Old 10-01-02, 04:20 PM
Actually, the network equipment probably needs to be on 24/7 and this would apply to the desktop as well. You could set up the desktop to operate dead head (no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) and just turn it on when you come home from work and turn it off when you leave. If the PC supports turning on when power is present you could even put it on a household timer.

How sharing the modem connection works is that you set the modem up to dial the connection anytime a network connection is requested. So, when the laptop requests a network connection the modem on the desktop dials up the internet.

What you want to have works the way you described, I just don't think you're going to have much luck finding one. All of the wireless stuff I've seen for the past couple of years is setup for broadband.

Old 10-02-02, 06:54 AM
I appreciate your comments. I forgot to mention that I have a single phone line shared for phone and computer, so leaving the connection open is not an option. I found one cordless modem on google search, but I have no idea if it is a decent product or why more demand doesn't exist. After all, all computers come with a modem, so shouldn't a reasonable percentage of those who use modems want to connect wireless, just like broadband folks want to connect wireless? Maybe the connection is too slow if wireless modem is used, but I would think the wireless transfer rate would be much fater than the modem connection, so this wouldn't be a problem.
There is a product called Symphony cordless modem which shows up if you goggle search "cordless modem". "Wireless modem" doesn't give good search results.
I'd be interseted in your opinion if you have time to check it out.

Thanks

Old 10-02-02, 04:51 PM
Two things,
Product looks good try the following website for a good list of prices http://overturezdnetshopper.cnet.com...cordless_modem
You did know, though, that you also need a symphony wireless card for your laptop too. Together it looks like they run about $450. Generally, Toshiba makes pretty good equipment.

Otherthing, the modem will hand up by itself in the desktop PC when the laptop stops using it.

Old 10-02-02, 08:15 PM
HI!!!
A good friend of mine had Wireless Modem on his laptop. Although it wan't a very steady connections at times, it was faster than my 56k. I think it was 128kbps. He had it free for 3 months because of a special deal from HP on his laptop.

Old 10-03-02, 06:26 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
The 128K modem was probably something like a Richochet,
which used (uses, I heard it was resurrected in places.)
a community base. Unlike what I believe you wisht to accomplish,
using your existing dial-up connection wirelessly around the house.
Look at it as the difference between a cordless phone and a cellular phone.