refomatting

Old 09-30-02, 10:37 AM
George-911
Visiting Guest
refomatting

I need to reformat my Gateway P.C. it is a desktp and I am running Windows 98. Need some advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 11:20 AM
Todd B
Visiting Guest
This is a very big question!

Are you asking how to do this? if so, I am afraid there too many variables that makes it just about impossible to answer in this forum.

I can tell you, first you will need a windows98 installation cd. If your computer doesn't have a bootable cdrom then you will need a floppy boot disk. You can create one with win98 in the add/remove programs applet. Second, you will need to boot via the cd or disk and get to a dos prompt. From here you can format the hard drive. After this, you will need to install windows98, you can do this easily with a bootable cdrom and the 98 cd, otherwise, you will need to boot to the floppy and hope your cdrom drive is picked up by it. From here you can copy the installation cabs to a folder on your hard drive and install 98 from the hard drive.

I have done this more times than I care to remember. Most times I have done this I have not had any problems. One tip I can give you is to make sure you have drivers for your NIC if win98 doesn't recognize it. If you can at least get your nic to work then you can get on the internet and download virtually anything else you may need. (I am assuming you have a DSL or Cable connection, if not then do this for the modem.)

Hope this helps you a little...

ToddB

Old 09-30-02, 05:08 PM
wombatz
Visiting Guest
Providing you've still got the 3 system CD's that came with the PC you will have no problems
What sort of PC is it?