moving picture ads

Old 10-03-02, 12:16 PM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
moving picture ads

Is there any way to disable those ads that flash and move around all the time? Yahoo has one on their home page right now. I've already turned off "Play animations" in my browser and that didn't help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-02, 05:36 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Nope...

Nope, turn your animations back on. Look up ďPanicwareĒ for their popup stopper. They have some luck with stopping that stuff. But as soon as someone finds a way to stop it some kid figures out a way around the stoppage again.

Old 10-04-02, 08:18 AM
Todd B
Visiting Guest
Try www.adsgone.com I have it running and checked yahoo and it worked.

Toddb

Old 10-06-02, 04:22 PM
Seerialmom
Visiting Guest
Re: moving picture ads

Here's another option: Uninstall your current browser and then find an old ISP CD (like MSN or MCI Internet); install IE 4.0 from it and I'm almost 99% sure you won't see the flashy ads. Of course you won't see a lot of things you really want to, either. Using Lynx would be another option; no graphics...just text. Just kidding; these aren't really options anymore.

From what I read in your posting I don't think the Pop-up killers would work since you're talking about animated graphics on the page and not a seperate window in front or behind the webpage. However it's worth a shot. Anyway I just logged into my Yahoo mail and I think you're referring to the Macromedia Flash player graphics. If you were to uninstall that it would take care of the problem; but then other things you really want to see won't be available (until you reinstall MM/FP).

Old 10-07-02, 10:44 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
I know I sound like a broken record on this subject, but ZoneAlarm Pro kills all animated ads by default, and can be configured to kill ALL ads of any kind. It is an awesome program, despite the fact that tech support has not responded to my question about how to open a port for Radmin.

Old 10-07-02, 11:20 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Yep...

I agree, Zone Alarm is a great program. I didnít have any luck with the adís stopper in it though. I do not recommend this program for broadband users. Except for maybe cable subscribers and AT&T does a pretty good job of blocking you from prying eyes. Dialup however definitely needs ZA! I did a quick check on my dialup one day while my DSL was offline. It had more holes in it than a veggie strainer! The only real downside I saw to ZA was once itís on itís there for good. No uninstall at all! Even though it says it does I found that not to be true. Even after uninstall it left a footprint bigger than Bigfoot himself! I guess I was lucky when I had a drive fail and lost everything from my primary drive. Finally got rid of ZA! However, on a scale of 1 to 10 for dialup it gets a 10 for sure!

Old 10-09-02, 06:07 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
How long ago was that?

I got DSL about a year ago. I downloaded ZA on the recommendation of a friend, and discovered I was getting about 50 pings a day on my static IP. I decided to try Black Ice and used the Unwise in ZA to remove it. I then ran McAfee Uninstaller to clean up any left overs, and McAfee told me ZA was not on my computer.

When I decided I liked ZA better than Black Ice, I upgraded to the Pro version of ZA. (about 6 weeks ago) It defaulted to a setting that kills all popups and popunders, as well as blocking any animated ad that takes more than 3 seconds to load. I changed it to the setting which stops all animated ads, and pops. Now, when an ad contains any animation at all, I see a space the size and shape of the ad, but with a big red question mark.