Networking

Old 10-03-02, 04:45 PM
wingplow
Visiting Guest
Networking

I need help. I have two computers, the main one I use is connected to a cable modem. I would like to connect the second computer up on the same modem so my son can get on the internet at the same time. What do I need to know and what hardware do I need. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-02, 06:35 PM
Easiest way it to get a broadband router. Cost from 50 to 150. Netgear, Linksys, and D-link make good ones.

Another option is to share your internet connection. One of my friends use to do this and although its cheaper I feel its more complicated for the casual user to setup.

Old 10-03-02, 06:48 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
ummmmm can I add a bit?

shaolin9458 is right, but I gather you are very newbie..... so....

I suggest a broadband router that has 4 ports built-in.
You will need CAT-5 cable with RJ-45 ends (looks like wide phone plug) of appropriate length to reach from the router to each PC. Can be purchased at any computer store ( Hell, even Radio Shack,,,, gag, gag)

Sorry for the poor grammar and spelling. Its late and Momma ain't here to tell me where I goofed.

Bluecanary25

Old 10-09-02, 01:40 PM
gstephens
Visiting Guest
To connect my Windows 98 and XP Pro PCs together to share files and to give them both access to the internet. I bought a Linksys BEFSRU31 USB/Cable/DSL router. In hindsight I didn't need USB. If you don't need USB you can get a BEFSRU41. The 41 will support ZoneAlarm Pro which is a good relatively inexpensive firewall. You can get the 41 for under $100.

Following the setup instructions is easy and everything worked the first time. And if you have problems you can always post here again.

Good Luck

Gary