Hourglass help!

Old 10-04-02, 03:24 PM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
Hourglass help!

Just went to help a friend who's daughter got into her computer. Was able to fix most things, but here is my question; Somehow she changed the hourglass from an hourglass to a bright,colorful buzzing bee! I'm not kidding, could fix the mouse cursors ok, but not this. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-02, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Should be a mouse icon in your control panel to make mouse and pointer settings.

Old 10-04-02, 07:04 PM
WIZZER -5
Visiting Guest
Weird Hourglass

Christmas Carol:

Go into your Control Panel, and into the "mouse" icon.

Once in there, pull down the tab that says "Pointer(s)."

There you will find the way to solve your buzzing bee riddle. I know this works - my neice had a starfish as her hourglass - very annoying.

Hope this helps. -Wiz

Old 10-06-02, 04:01 PM
Seerialmom
Visiting Guest
Hourglass help!

Hmmm...just checked through my own mouse pointer options; not a bee to be found. There was a dinosaur though. Anyway, if you don't find a bee like I didn't either check for a program she might have installed called "Comet Cursor". If you've never heard of it visit http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml to read up on Comet Cursor, Bonzi Buddy and Gator along with all the other "cute" programs which are really spyware.

Old 10-08-02, 06:54 AM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
Hourglass again!

Had friend go into mouse settings, changed that bee back to hourglass, but next time she turned on computer it went BACK to the darn bee! She said she did hit apply and ok.. what could be wrong now? Is it possible that one of the kids programs that had the bee is set to default and keeps taking it back to the darn bee?

Old 10-08-02, 06:59 AM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
You hit the prblem! Yep, she does have those programs.. you see her daughter is 'special', (slow) her Mom allows her to download free programs. Any recourse other than dumping all those programs? I guess her daughter does like some of those, I wanted to dump them when I worked on cleaning up her computer.
Spyware? Should know what it means, but don't. Should she avoid downloading programs of this type? You got me abit worried because she is special.. dont want her to get into something she should not. Thanks for your help!
Carole

Old 10-08-02, 09:37 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Programs...

You need to advise your friend to stop letting her daughter download just anything she want’s. This can be accomplished with the parental controls in IE6. You will have to go into <start> <settings> <control panel> <add remove programs> and find the offending program and delete it. It could be in the Themes in the mouse control setting also but bet you it’s a program. Look in your settings to get an idea of what you have and then go into your friends and get rid of anything that doesn’t belong to Windoze. The only problem that may occur is that an installed program may be linked to Windoze in such a way that removing it will damage the registry therefore stopping Windoze from working at all. Some of these programs are really neat that allow you to “Simplify” changing Windoze features but in using them and over riding the MS factory setup you can really cause yourself major problems. Trust me I know! I like to play with programs too but have become wary of anything that allows me to change Windoze features by using a stand alone program…

Old 10-08-02, 03:02 PM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
Thank you once again for the help. Have printed out all replies to my (her) problem, also printed all information supplied on spyware so that both Mom and daughter understand what is going on.
I think my friend thought that as long as she was using an anti-virus program that was her only concern. She is now enlightened. thank you so much for your quick help. That's why i love this site.. always a helpful response with any problem:0
thank you again
Carole

Old 10-09-02, 08:53 AM
Seerialmom
Visiting Guest
re: Spyware

In answer to the Spyware question; they're included with some supposedly cute and helpful programs like the ones I mentioned earlier and send information to who knows where about your shopping/browsing habits (mostly). You can get some good info just by doing a search online for "spyware". They are usually pretty tough to remove through traditional methods (add/remove programs) because sometimes they're bundled with multiple programs; removing one doesn't work because the other progam will reenable it. The site I mentioned gives good information on spyware and removing the offending programs/cookies/dll's.