networking 98 & XP

Old 10-08-02, 07:46 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
Unhappy networking 98 & XP

O.K., I thought this would be a no brainer, but I'm stuck! My wife recently got a new laptop (notebook) to replace her old one. The old unit runs Win98SE. The new computer came preloaded with WinXP (home edition). I'm trying to network the two together so she can transfer all her program settings to the new computer. I'm using a patch cable to connect the two. I set them up with the same workgroup, (home) and different 'names'. Is there something different you have to do to get these things to 'play nice'? Both computers will connect to the internet fine, so I know the network card(s) work fine. I really need some help, as I'm losing my reputation as a computer geek!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-02, 07:25 AM
You're using a crossover cable, right? Make sure file and print sharing is enabled on both machines, and try to access the 98 machine from the XP machine. It's more complicated to do it the other way. You could also load NetBUI on the XP machine, but you really don't need it. Connect the cable, boot both machines up, and wait a couple of minutes, then try.

Old 10-13-02, 06:25 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Are you using a 'null modem cable' or 'crossover' paralell cable to do this, or are you going through a router/hub?