date out of whack

Old 10-09-02, 03:04 PM
quantel62
Visiting Guest
Question date out of whack

Good evening,

I have a little problem that's been driving me crazy. Lately, whenever I start up my computer the date is off. Instead of being today's date, I get Feb. 01, 1980. So, I change the date to the correct one and the next day I have the Feb. one.

My os is Windows 98.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-02, 05:18 PM
Are you changin the date from within Windows or in the BIOS setup? If your changing it in Windows you need to go into BIOS and change it, If you are changing it in bios it's likely you need to replace the CMOS battery. Common keys to enter BIOS setup are Delete, F1, F2, F10 for Compaq, and you press these keys during POST (power on self test) or when the system first turns on, before Windows starts loading.

Old 10-09-02, 08:48 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest

quantel62 Not to be insulting but machine specs would be helpful. Bigmike has posted guidelines that are useful in helping solve problems remotely, in this forum. Be nice, I guess there is a reason for his moniker.

I am trying to pinpoint the error. Is the incorrect date/time show-up in black and white screen very shortly after turning the power on (this is the POST Davejb refers to, also see RAM count up) or after window loads?

What type of processor do you have? Pentium/P II/ AMD K-5/ K-6/Cyrix,,,,, What MHz? Helps us figure how old the PC may be. The CMOS battery (powers chip that tracks date and time) usually lasts for years, but sometimes they die............
gotta replace one in a TP600 in the morn, myself.................

Bluecanary25

Old 10-10-02, 03:00 PM
quantel62
Visiting Guest
bluecanary25, I guess most people don't list the specs is because they don't know. So, I will endeavour to find them out. All I know for certain is that it has Microsoft 98 os and an Intel pentium ?? So, I will get back to you. (the date is wrong on the task bar, bottom right corner, have gone into control panel many times and reset it.)

Later

Old 10-10-02, 04:52 PM
Then you need to into BIOS and reset, and if it doesn't hold you'll need a new CMOS battery.

Old 10-10-02, 05:06 PM
Cool The easy way.

Hi quantel62 you said:
I guess most people don't list the specs is because they don't know.

That's a shame too, because this little free program (Belarc Advisior ) has been around for a long time. Belarc Advisor is a free program, that will search your PC & tell you everything.

It would be easier for you & others, if you need your PCs specs, to just use this free program, when you are asked for more info. It would make life easier for all concerned. You will get all the Hardware & Software information in a printout about what is, in & on your PC. CPU, RAM, Drives, OS etc.

You may want to run Belarc once a month, save info as a TXT file, & use these 12 reports, to track your Hardware & Software changes over the year. Makes life a lot easier keeping track of your PCs life.

So quantel62 please keep this link, & when you see someone who needs to find their specs, share this link with them.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Marturo

Last edited by marturo; 10-11-02 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 05:29 PM
BSB
How old is the pc and how long do you leave it running or powered down? Screwy dates and times can be a sign of a bad MOBO battery. (unless it has been doing this since day one.) But even with todays batteries it is possible for the Motherboard to sit on a self for quite a while.

If the pc has some age I would replace the battery and see what happens. Its only $3 to $6 for a new battery and pretty simple to replace.

Brian

Old 10-10-02, 06:35 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Hi again!!

quantel62

Going back over this thread, we haven't been able to answer your question, yet. Have you noticed that the most frequent culprit WE point at is the CMOS ('MOBO') battery? Pretty cheap to buy and fairly easy to replace. It's a button type battery (like your watch)in most newer PCs, but you have to know which size it is.
As you have internet access, do a search of the manufacturer's website for the specs of the model PC. Frequently, CMOS battery is listed........ but not on a silver plater, waving a flag. Sometimes you gotta dig around. If you fail to find specs, maybe someone here can look the specs up (AM I SETTING MYSELF UP HERE???!!???) Need manufacturer, model#, style,part#, etc.

Give a look. Drop a line.

Bluecanary25