Dominant red tone when printing from scanner

Old 10-10-02, 11:02 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question Dominant red tone when printing from scanner

We have a HP ScanJet 3200C and it's 3 1/2 years old. The printer is HP Deskjet 722C, as well as WIN98.

Even after installing a new print cartridge, copies of photos that have been scanned have a red tone to the skin. I printed photos from our digital camera directly from the computer and they are fine. What could be the problem?

Thanks for the help.

~mlminin

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-02, 10:11 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool HP...

I have an HP 3200C and it has several color adjustments in the properties and options of the HP LT scanning software that came with the bed scanner.

Old 10-11-02, 11:01 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thank you, bigmike. I'll take a look at that. If I still can't figure it out, I'll be back.

~mlminin

Old 10-12-02, 09:29 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Work?

Did that do it?

Old 10-12-02, 10:57 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your inquiry. No, I haven't, but I just sat down to the computer to take a look. I'll get back with you and let you know.

~mlminin

Old 10-12-02, 11:12 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question

Hmm. I went to Programs, HP Precision, etc. and clicked all the options besides 'uninstall', both left clicks and right. I found "properties" one time, but it didn't include any info about color. Can you tell me where it is? Thanks. I'm able to work on it now, so if you are too, I'll respond after getting your post notification. Thanks.

mlminin

Old 10-12-02, 11:51 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Well, I better not wait any longer. I have to leave for awhile. Hopefully, I can check back this evening. Thanks.

~mlminin

Old 10-12-02, 04:01 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Well...

Further investigation... I use the color setting from the printer using the print preview to see what it's like before I print it. I dont think it's a problem so much as settings in the printer or just the way the media is scanning, I cannot duplicate the problem though. try uninstalling the scanner and re-boot then install the scanner again. Could just be the way the system is seeing the drivers. Anyone else?

Old 10-12-02, 10:19 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
As usual for the computer and me, I've run into further complications...

I uninstalled HP Precision Scanjet, then attempted to re-install it. All went well until the very last button I had to click, I believe, and the computer froze. So, I shut it off, turned it back on and got a colored screen with lots of horizontal lines; I turned it off again, turned it back on and got a black screen. Left it alone and it finally started the re-start process. When going to Programs and clicking on HP Online Support, a message comes up; "Problem with Shortcut--- The item 'hpscanjt.hlp' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. The nearest match, based on size, date, and type, is 'C:\Internet.hlp. Do you want this shortcut to point to this item? Yes or No"

Now I don't know what to do about that. If you can, I'd appreciate more help with this. Thank you.

You mentioned "...settings in the printer..." or "...just the way the media is scanning." As far as the printer settings go, I could try printing a photo that has been scanned after checking settings, which will be a new experience for me and see if their is a diff. If there isn't a change, then should I assume that it's "just the way the media is scanning"? What does that mean...."just the way the media is scanning" ???

Why would the color of the scanned prints turn out differently than the digital camera prints?

Another issue... Being you have the same scanner as I, I thought I'd mention that the time is takes to scan seems rather long to me. The light bar, or whatever it is, that scrolls across the scanner bed starts, moves, stops, starts, moves, stops, until it reaches the end of the bed. There is a noise from the scanner that accompanies the process. Is that normal?

Okay, now that I've asked all that I know to ask and explained all the I know to explain, I'll submit this post and in the meanwhile, check out the settings in the printer. It's past midnight now, so probably won't be back here until sometime tomorrow, checking to see if you or someone else has replied.

Thank you for the help.

mlminin

Old 10-12-02, 11:59 PM
I had that problem with my scanner and it turned out the lamp was bad, and HP doesn't sell any replacement parts. My only option was to bring it to a repair shop that would cost more than the scanner was worth. After a lot of research I contacted HP and voiced my dissatifaction with a product that is not owner serviceable (the lamp is easy to replace if it can be found). They sent me a refurbished scanner but said not to call them anymore!. I have since decided that my next scanner will be anything but HP. In fact I am not likely to buy any HP product as their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 10-13-02, 06:26 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Winslow- You mean that the scanner light wasn't burned out, but it was bad? Hmm. I thought that when lights are bad, they no long offer any light. Was it a 'clicking' noise that your scanner was making? Mine makes "hum and click" sounds.

As for your problems with HP, if I have any dealings with them, I hope that the 'solutions' are better than what you experienced.

Bigmike or Anyone- A Problem with Shortcut window is popping up when I try to go to my scanner. I'd uninstall and start over, but I don't see that option anywhere. I'm lost. Any suggestions?

Old 10-13-02, 08:12 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool New...

I pretty much agree, I wanted to say just go buy a new one but thought we would give it a shot. But, if it’s only certain pictures I would think you can edit that with Photo shop etc. My 3200c sets in the living room and only gets used once in a while. I have digital cameras so the scanner has become moot. Anyway, even when that scanner sold new it was less than $50 so I would replace it, the newer ones are faster and USB to boot…

Old 10-13-02, 08:42 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Buying a new scanner is what I'll do and see what happens. Thanks for the comments and advise.

One more thing... How do I uninstall the HP ScanJet 3200C stuff that is on the computer, being I can't find any 'uninstall' button?

10-14-02

Just came back... The uninstall is there, after all. Maybe I just needed to restart.....

mlminin

Last edited by mlminin; 10-14-02 at 09:36 PM.