word newsletter via email

Old 10-13-02, 03:14 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
word newsletter via email

Is there a way to use a word document, formatted with text boxes and pictures, as an embedded type email newsletter? I cant figure out how to get it to work. I have AOL 7.0s email. Id like to convert it so its readable in the email with pictures etc. Not just send it as an attatched file. Thanks for help! -Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-02, 09:00 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool AOLosers...

Well I don’t think so. Because of the funky way AOLosers format and send their email you may not be able to do this. I messed around with my Office XP and can build up a neat little presentation type thing and send it with no problem so must be the ISP. Can you even use Outlook with your AOL? I have not had any real success getting Outlook to work with them but that’s what you will need to do. Get an ISP that you can use Outlook and therefore Word with…

Old 10-14-02, 03:02 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
In defense of aol

AOL is great in its own right. It is an excellent start up for those first learning to surf the internet. It is easy to navigate and has "cheat" links to help those not as knowledgeable as others. It's exceptional for teens and kids whose parents wish to monitor their children's online time. It builds a sense of confidence to those unsure of the web. The only thing I dont like about AOL is the fact it allows all the spam. In fact it encourages it. Earthlink has been wonderful. No problems, but you must have basic info to run. Netzero is a scam.
How large of a file are you speaking of sending. That makes a difference as to the options open to you.

Old 10-14-02, 09:27 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
374 kb created in word 2000 backwards compatible with word 97. I receive email newsletters all the time from DIY.com, in HTML format? I think this is what im trying to do? Im actually not that bad with computers, but i have very limited experience with Hypertext. Thanks for the help. -Josh

Old 10-15-02, 06:37 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Well...

Yea Josh neither am I. I was introduced to Front Page some years ago and never bothered to learn HTML. I can’t think of any reason other then AOL’s email format that is stopping you. I receive mail from friends on AOL and the mail can be five or six layers deep before getting to the actual mail. The only thing I can think of is to grab a Juno or Netzero account. Try sending it thru them. True both of them are not good options mainly because they limit your time. However, if you are only shooting and occasional email thru them you should be ok. AOL is fine for what has been said, someone new, or someone that just doesn’t have the will or time to learn how all this crapola works. And there is a lot of crap to learn just to have to send an email! AOL is a bane on society because it breeds people that don’t know, don’t want to learn, or are just to computer illiterate to learn. No biggie! Thank god for those people or people like me would not be needed. Not that I am anyway… One other thing you might consider is to get a local ISP, they are everywhere, call a local computer repair store in your hood and see who they recommend. That means you end up paying for an extra ISP but you may just be able to get and email account with them. Not have browser privileges. An ISP here in my town offers that. Not sure how the limit you but evidently it can be done for like $9 a month or so.

Old 10-16-02, 06:09 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
JUNO OR NETZERO????

Talk about looooosers!!! Netzero came on the scene yelling that internet access should be free. That is where the name came from...hence Net...(internet) Zero...(free). You started out with a banner you could not rid yourself of. Then they started to charge...still with this piece of crap banner.... they limit your sign on names and for that 10 or so bucks...you are EXTREMELY limited on time spent on line. Most of us who use the internet in our line of work prefer earthlink or aol mainly for complete access. Most of the providers..i.e. aol,juno,netzero,earthlink,msn all have an email size of 2mb. That is pretty standard across the board. AOL is the better access if you prefer "live" or real time communications as in the chat rooms. No other provider has this that is easily accessable or is not under construction or down. AOL does have the most reliable customer service of them all. It is all in what you like or what you do. As a programmer, I enjoy the use of both. It is all in how you "surf".

Old 10-16-02, 06:12 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
BTW

Word 2000 is FORWARD compatable with word 97...just in case you got mixed up..

Old 10-16-02, 06:33 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
when am i not mixed up lol? i did craft out my own webpage although using a wysiwyg editor but still! I installed a new cooling fan, blew up my hard drive, adventures in overclocking gone bad, im not too uncomputery, however sometimes things that should work ( like ATM0 modem shut off sound!!!!!! dont work??? and that cheeses me off big time) I sent the email in text only format. Worked for me -Josh

Old 10-17-02, 06:59 AM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
Dont worry Josh1, we all make boo boo's when we learn... I use the cute little band-aids to make me feel better. I'm more software than hardware...but try my hand at the later.. I just always have left over parts...hummmmm.... Never too old to learn new tricks.... although I'm starting to have problems remembering them now...LOL

forgot to add....congrats on your building...not to easy of a task...especially when ribbon cables all look alike!! LOL

Old 10-17-02, 08:25 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Well...

If you have office 2000 then you have Front Page. But I am not sure if you can use FP with AOloser because of their format and so called security. One way for sure is Cute FTP, use FP to build the page and ALL ISP’s have an FTP upload site for their clients webpages. The publisher in FP only works with MSN, Billy’s idea of keeping you as a customer. But use FP and Cute and you will be able to build the site you want. However you still are having the same problem with the email and after 26 years of running around this junk I have learned that the simplest is the best. A local ISP and you will have complete access to the net. Unlike AOL, MSN, Earthlink that all limit your access using filters because they want to “Protect” us from ourselves. I was around when all we had was Telnet services or 2400 baud dialup into our local library for text only net use. But it was unfettered and above all FREE! Even ran a BBS for about a year, now that was computering! Anyway the local ISP will be your best bet, most are $19.95 and you will have to learn how to setup email with POP and SMTP as well as browser configurations. But you will able to send the mail like you want, without someone spying on the body of the mail like AOL, MSN, Earthlink, Hotmail, Yahoo… Did anyone see the article in CNET about Yahoo getting into the bodies of email looking for “Terrorist” type mails? Big Bro is-a-watchin folks… And 2000 is “Backwards Compatible” with 97. 97 is older so 2000 has to look back not forward, nomenclature will kill ya everytime…

Old 10-17-02, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's odd.

I have Office 2000 Pro, & since it did not have FrontPage 2000 with it. I had to go out and buy FrontPage 2000 seaprately.

My Ofice 2000 Pro has a small cut down version of a, WYSIWYG program, but not the full flavored Web building version, like FrontPage 2000.

I just finished a course in FrontPage 2002, & even the Teacher thought it was a rip off that MS did not include, the full FrontPage version in it's Office Programs.

Even when I go for patches & updates from MS, I have to choose either Office 2000 or FrontPage 2000, in order to get the indivual updates for each seprate program. I can't get updates for FP through Office.

Marturo

Old 10-17-02, 03:34 PM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
When I have sent office/word 2000 documents to business contacts. I get emails asking me to please resend the documents in microsoft word 97 format that they can't read the document that is in the 2000 format. I have tested this problem at my office and indeed it is true that 2000 is not backwards compatible. I have alway kept around older systems due to compatability issues. Word 97 cannot open the word 2000 documents. So I guess that the IT departments don't know what they are doing. Well as far as earthlink filtering content you are incorrect. Aol does and that is why I no longer use AOL. You also state that aol and the rest of the isp providers look at your emails all isp providers can, it is not limited to the nation wide providers. The government also watches all email, always has and always will. Depending what books you purchase you will be watched by the government even closer.

Old 10-17-02, 04:35 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Last Call...

Yes all ISP’s have the ability to scan mail. I would probably be shocked to find out how many smaller companies do look… Hope not but the nature of people here lately… I pick on and dislike AOL and the others with a passion because I have had customers in front of me with problems that would not have or be happening if they were on a hometown type ISP. Again, AOL and the bunch are good for busy or non electronic mind people, jeez my mom cannot even use the remote for her VCR. The way I see this word deal is I have several computers here, 95, XP Pro, ME Corp. Office 97 Pro, and Office XP Pro. XP will read back to 97 but 97 won’t read some stuff forward. But the word function should still be able to be read thru all versions. I have several saved fields to CD and broke them out, 97 would read XP’s word (.doc) file. So maybe there’s a setting that has been missed, all I know is it works here in my lab and this is where Frankenstein got his start.
We have beaten this to death, and not helped this guy. This is after all Windoze! God only knows why this silly thing does what it does. In over 1000 Windoze loads I have never seen the OS install the same way twice and that includes the last two days doing XP Pro here. Partner I advise you to get a local ISP for your newsletter, marturo or any of the others, if you can think of another way around yell. Oh yea, just use 97. This is what I would do but I will take a right to take a left.

Old 10-17-02, 09:52 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
theres a setting in 2000 that makes it compatible with 97, i remember changing it awhile back, but would have to look. I just sent the email newsletter by some C&P with aols mail interface. whether all of my recipients viewer shows it properly i dont know? but lets hope.

Oh yeah apple 2es, no ROM had to boot manually,single green screen, 5.25s, and dot matrix printers, ive been around -Josh

Old 10-18-02, 09:21 AM
Doberman Lady
Visiting Guest
Anyone remember the old Kaypro portables? monochrome monitor that was no more than 4x4? Flip out keyboard and heavier than HE**! Had a meg drive!? Wow you were smokin! I learned Elephant 5" floppies really could be run over by a car and work! It held a programming test my first year in college. Things have greatly improved since then! I also remember 1200bd for connections and just think, some systems still use 9600bd to connect even in this day!!! i.e. toll road WVIS , Airport RPU and WVIS. Sometimes older is better! (like fine wine!) I have been there from the beginning.(wont touch mac....)

Old 10-18-02, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideally >create html [avoid "special features" with the greatest of passions] >upload to our-free-news-letter-site.com >send url >bore [or enlighten] the rest of the world in the process.

Currently >convert to html >send as html. If assumptions about recipients platform, software, and other possible restrictions, are "good enough", document to html converters are as close as a search engine.

One of many potential down sides of conversion is lack of bitmap conversion to another format. That has Internet Explorer written all over it.

Dear Recipient:
The following platform and software requirements are necessary to view the newsletter properly: _________. Changing ISPs or accounts may be required also.

Dear Editor:
Thank you ever so much for the informative tip. After installing the required software, upgrading my account, and suffering hours of incompability issues, I was able to veiw the newsletter in its entirey. Now that I have changed software would you please tell me how to support "this feature" _______ under it.

Dear Recipient:
Platform and software requirements to view the newsletter were imposed as a convenience to me. Since I am not technically trained in this area please contact the software manufacturer.

Thank you (suck-up, kissy-kiss) for reading the newsletter.