"High Speed Cable" or "High Speed Phone Line"

Old 10-19-02, 04:39 AM
golfnut
Visiting Guest
"High Speed Cable" or "High Speed Phone Line"

If you had a choice of Internet connections, would it be "High Speed Cable" or "High Speed Phone". This is the great debate for me. I am presently on High Speed Phone, but it's starting to drive me nuts. It's OK sometimes and other times it seems to freeze up when I'm online. I'm also not crazy about IE6. I am continually having to "Refresh" everything to be able to open a page. So I'm not sure if it's the connection, or my computer, or IE6. Any suggestions. Thanks. Golfnut

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-02, 07:18 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool More...

Well I have had both, cable is faster then home DSL but it is affected by how many usersí are on your node. DSL is good because you are the only person using that bandwidth. So for me itís DSL. If you tell us more about your system, we can figure out about your woes. OS, memory, modem type. When was the last time you defragged, emptied out IE cache? Cookies? Scandisk if 98.x?

Old 10-19-02, 08:21 AM
Golfnut,

I too have used both and prefer cable over the phone line, but...my reasons are different than most. With the high speed phone line, it was very nice when the telephone lines running to my house weren't self destructing. Common problem in that area. Moved, and DSL isn't available here due to the age of this area's phone system and am now using a cable modem. During busy times of the day (a lot of people home watching their cable and/or going online with cable) I am a lot slower.

You mentioned IE6. I cannot seem to run it on my machine without problems. I use win98se, and have the same problems that you've mentioned above. I also discovered that I have to update windows with my virus protection OFF or it messes up the install. I use IE5.5 now without problems, but miss the extra features offered in IE6.

If I were to try upgrading to IE6 again it was recommended that I go through windows update and when I receive the 'agreement' page for the install to disable my virus protection. When I reboot then it will reactivate my protection. I haven't tried it yet, since there is no guarantee that it won't have the same problems as before. Eventually the IE6 problems begun to run over into my regular Windows Explorer browser and it would cause crashes. It is my understanding that the browser and explorer programs are integrated somehow and this is what causes the problems to bleed over from one to the other.

Kay

Old 10-19-02, 09:19 AM
I had cable for a couple of years, then changed to DSL. DSL is consistently faster by 30% for me. I always get downloads at 130k, generally 150k. On cable, I was lucky to get 100k.

Old 10-19-02, 09:45 PM
I have had both currently on cable... I play alot of games and the ping was a hell of alot faster on my dsl line than on cable... I download faster on cable .. over all i would pick dsl just because im a gamer and prefer the faster ping ...

Old 10-19-02, 10:16 PM
golfnut,

are you maxed out on memory? sometimes the computer can't keep up with the information its getting on dsl or cable with only 64 or less megs of memory. i have maxed out mine (lowly 256M) and occassionally stall or freeze, but not nearly as bad as when running only 64meg of ram.

just a thought.

kay

Old 10-20-02, 08:16 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Buss...

Yea forgot to mention that. Your Buss speed will make a big difference, you donít mention you computer type or speed etc but if you are on an older system with like a 33 or 66 Mhz front end you will not access like those with 100+ Mhz buss speeds. I run this computer at 120 Mhz front end. Jeez they have em out now at 200+ Mhz.

Old 10-20-02, 08:46 AM
buss...hmmmmm. Is that why I freeze up when I try to burn a cd on the fly at 24x?

Kay

Ps. I think that dsl and cable are both good, depending on what the conditions are in your area. Probably be best to check with your neighbors to see what they use and what problems they encounter. I haven't had any problems with my cable service out here, but...it is a small town, the phone service is terrible and they work super hard at keeping our cable not only up and running, but running fast. May not be true in other areas...

K.

Old 10-20-02, 11:51 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Buss...

Well could be, but I doubt it. It may keep you from burning at full 24x. I found on my burner set at 24x was only getting about 12x maybe 14 if I was lucky and system was fresh booted. We came to this by doing the math in size versus time to burn considering in lead in/out time etc. I also could not get the drive into DMA mode it would only run PIO. So I contacted Cendyne, they replaced the ATAPI with a Lite-On drive, and it went into DMA and burns at a full 24 x. So, get into device mangler, look for the IDE channels and do properties on whichever IDE channel the CD is on and switch it to PIO if itís in DMA and DMA if itís in PIO and see if that helps. PIO is the safer but slower mode. Get into your BIOS, you may be able to turn your front end up but be careful doing this, it tantamount to over clocking and will cause heat, lockupís, no boot conditions. I love this Epox for that reason, if I donít need all that horsepower I turn it down to 700 MHz. For gaming, I crank it up to almost 155 MHz buss or about 966 MHz actual CPU speed. But LOTS of heat! Sound like an airplane idling in here from all the fans in puterÖ

Old 10-20-02, 02:00 PM
I guess its not. It may just be the cd I'm trying to copy. I've never run into problems copying a copyrighted cd before, but this is the one that totally stalls my machine and takes me forever to unload Nero (through crtl/alt/del).

I made the change that you suggested, but ended up with a blue screen but hey, was recoverable. Pretty cool. Usually its a manual reboot when I receive a blue screen.

I tried another cd copy after changing back to DMA and it burns fine. Musta been the one I was trying to copy.

Thanks,

Kay

Old 10-20-02, 04:36 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Good...

By the way foks, advice here is "Use at your own risk." Do not think we have ever mentioned that before. Every machine acts differently! You will never find two Windoze boxes that actually run alike! There has to be but I have never seen or heard of one. So that said I am glad you recovered. Now what else can we tear up tonight?