Hard Drive Reading.

Old 10-22-02, 05:47 PM
Q
HI!!!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard Drive Reading.

My computer has Windows XP PRO, 352 MB RAM and 1.2 GHz. Lately, when I try to run some programs or get "Properties" on certain drives or anything, I can hear my internal hard drive reading bits at time like "tisk......tisk...". (No other noise coming from the hard drive -- just the regular reading noise) The red light or HDD light blinks on and off while reading. The program or window eventually loads up, but slwoer than usual.

I did add a new RAM set with 256 MB, and it worked fine. Everything speeded up. I had no problems with the RAM. I don't think its the new RAM thats causing the problem.

Possible defragment system?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-02, 07:01 PM
C
Defragging windows drives is always a good idea. If this noise is new, I would investigate the costs of new hard drive and back up your extant data against the time that it fails. Some drives make some noise all the time from birth to death, but a new noise is not a good thing.

If you installed your memory yourself, then you likely could check to see if the cables and power leads to the drive are all seated properly. That is, unplug them and plug them back in.

Old 10-22-02, 07:56 PM
Q
HI!!!
The hard drive dosen't make any noise at all. You know when you're heard drive is reading something, it makes that reading noise? Well when it has to read something it does it like this
[*read*] [pause] [*read*] [pause] ... until the thing is finally loaded. Sort of like a stutter.

I just wanna know what could be the cause of this problem.

Old 10-22-02, 08:17 PM
C
In any event, I would run Scandisk and Defrag. That would get that part out of the way.

You might check for spyware hogging your system. Adaware can help that. www.lavasoft.com

Generally there is a reason when the performance of a computer changes. If the hard drive seems slower than before, it may be the drive.

If you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the BIOS, watch for a status message when the computer boots.

Old 10-22-02, 08:33 PM
Another possibillity here is the program in use is trying to access dupe files, you caould have duplicated files, one up to date and one out of date file, this can happen alot with dll files or other file types.

Go to www.ananlogx.com and get the file DLLArchive, this will search for dupe dll and other files and archive them, then when you know for sure you don't need them, these can be deleted.

Old 10-23-02, 08:05 PM
Q
HI!!!
Angry

Defraged and used the DLLArchive and the Ad-Aware. Still a problem.

Let me make something clear. I don't think I did a very good job before. Sorry. A normal hard disk, you can hear when the hard disk is reading, and the noise is straigh on an on until the process is done.
Normal Reading:
Start----------------Loaded

What mine is doing is this. Its like tapping a finger on the desk repeatiatly, which signifies reading the drive. So say I want to open a program up (any). The hard disk reads reads reads reads and then the program loads up. So itl like
Start--- --- --- --- --- --- --- Loaded.

Hopefully this is a little cleared and easy to understand. I know.