Router

Old 10-23-02, 06:06 AM
Spanky
Visiting Guest
Router

Hi Can Someone tell me how many feet of Cat5 cable to be use (technical length restrictions) before I will loose the signal. Iam hooking up my Router and DSL Modem to another computer. Someone told me that I can only use 100' of cableis this true if it is then Iam out of luck. Please help.

Sal

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-02, 12:56 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Feet...

100 Yards= 300 feet max. (I did say 150 feet didn't I? Sorry...) And it needs to be good cable for that distance. You may have no choice but wireless...

Last edited by bigmike; 10-23-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 01:54 PM
antibob
Visiting Guest
I think...

I pretty sure you can run as far as 100 yards or 300'

You need a good cable like cat5e or better.

also, you can double the distance between the dsl modem and computer by putting the router somewhere in the middle.

My network I have

dslmodem>--------- 150' of cable -------------->Router (in basement) ------ >100' of cable to variouse computers in house.

good luck,
ab

Old 10-23-02, 03:27 PM
BSB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to get real technical. Its 100 meters. (333ft) You can go longer, but you run into communication problems, weak signal, attenuation, crosstalk, etc... If you need to go over 100 meters you need a repeater installed. A good rule of thumb is to not exceed 90M from point "A" to point "B" this will give you 10M for patch cables and neatness.

Brian

Cat5e is longer but I do not have the specs on me.

Brian