a new computer

Old 11-05-02, 04:42 PM
eduhfajita
Visiting Guest
a new computer

Hi!

I want to buy a new computer. My son says that he is going to build one for me but he is taking forever.... and I want to replace this one that is too old and too slow.
What do you recomend me?
This is what I want to do:
Surf a little, download music, burn CD's, check my accounts, and use Excel, Word, some Accounting program, continue my family Genealogy, play some games, I don't want to see movies, I can do that on my TV. So I want something good and fast but it does not have to be the best of the best ($$$$)

Thanks

Eduh

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 05:42 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Build vs Buy...

Dell, Gateway, a clone. It’s just up to how much you want to spend. You can build from the ground up for about $600 and have a really nice computer with a new monitor. Or around $900 for one from Best buy etc… The manufacturers are begging you to buy these days, you can get striped down stuff from Walmart and upgrade it too. I don’t recommend that though.

Old 11-05-02, 06:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a Bestbuy machine (eMachines) that I paid $800 for about 3 years ago. The machines they have today will serve your needs.

You mentioned gaming. What type of gaming are you interested in? Some machines require more video memory and faster processors depending on the type games you play on the system.

I do genealogy, plus run MS Money on my machines as well. It sounds as though we use our systems for similar things. I would recommend a larger hard drive than I currently have, or better yet, make sure that you get a CD burner to backup your gen work. I used to back it up onto zip drive disks, but that got expensive. Its a nightmare when you lose what you have gathered and forgotten to back it up! I lost about 6 months of work due to not backing up my gen stuff. Also, if you run the larger gen software, the machines today (lower line) are adequate for handling them.

Kay

Old 11-05-02, 06:50 PM
CobbConstructin
Visiting Guest
If you have a moniter, keyboard, printer, mouse,....I would build one.You can get cheap parts online. www.pricewatch.com

Old 11-05-02, 07:26 PM
eduhfajita
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your answers, although I would like something more specific, like, XXXX means the machine is fast or faster, something like that. Well, so much for somebody who does not know anything about computers...I am afraid of salesmen, bad experiences....

Cobb, I'm sorry but you cannot build me one, we are too far away, I am in Miami, Fl., but thanks anyway.

Eduh

Oh! ok now I get it! Cobb, I will try my son to make me one. He made his and I think is a pretty good one. Thanks

Old 11-06-02, 07:49 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Here goes my 2 cents...

So you want brand names or like what speeds? Tyan, Epox, Open Source or Asus mainboards. I prefer Intel CPU’s but AMD’s are just as good, have ran both. Go for at least a gig CPU or more since you want to game and at least 512 Megs of RAM. Sound Blaster Live for audio, ATI Radeon or G-force AGP video cards. 3COM NIC card if your broadband and 3COM for modems. 350-Watt power supply minimum so you can add peripherals later. Windoze XP Pro NOT home! And you should be good to go. I want to stress staying with brand names! Not saying off brand stuff is no good but 3Com etc all have tech support, may not be the greatest but you can talk to someone if you have too. Build it yourself, not as hard as you think and the parts with come with destruction’s, I mean instructions. It will be good for you to learn how the blasted thing works, helps trouble shooting later. From start to finish including the OS about 8 hours to be fully functional.

Last edited by bigmike; 11-06-02 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 05:14 PM
Why not call Dell or Gateway, tell them what you want to do and see what they recommend and what price. You may have a local computer shop that can do you right. I would stay away from emachines and other such marginal equipment.

Old 11-06-02, 05:39 PM
Yes, do stay away from eMachines. That is the system that I have. I blew a fuse within the first year, and to have it replaced under warranty would have cost me $50 plus shipping. Instead of doing that, I purchased a new tower/power supply. The company that I had check the computer at first said that they were surprised that it was just a fuse since the most common thing they've encountered is the motherboard being bad.

eMachines are basically the Yugos of computers. Throw away machines.

Kay

Old 11-06-02, 07:36 PM
Smile Don't waste your money buy Custom Build

Hi eduhfajita

I found a place that will build you a realy nice AMD based PC with name brand MOBOs like ABIT & ASUS WD HDs & parts that I would choose to build a great PC.

Check out http://www.Monarchcomputers.com at http://www.resellerratings.com They are out of Alanta GA & have a lot of happy customers. That's step #1 before you buy anything online.

My next door neighbor called last night to see if I had a USB device to plug into her new $2,300 Dell. This is horror story # 3 in just 2 weeks & I told her not to buy a DEll, so it's 50.00 per hr to just look at it, but for some reason she thinks I ought to look at it for free, because it's under Dells warranty & brand new LOL. So where's dells home care Tech help now? Oh about 2.5 hrs one way, to drop it off then come back & pick it up.

You would think for over 2 grand, Dell would test it, but it would not boot from the start. Then she kept crashing & now after they told her how to enable the USB ports, the Techs told her to go out & buy something USB to test it. Do you believe this is Dells Award winning Tech Service Dude? Oh one Tech said we been having a lot of trouble with peoples printers lately. Yea I'll bet they have with the Default (USB bus) set to off.

For about $1,300 Monarch will build you a white box, that I could build for about $750 parts, no labor no Monitor, but if you don't know how to build a PC, that's not bad with a 1 year Warranty.

I don't know for sure, but I heard that Dell changed hands 6 mos ago. Maybe someone else knows if that's so.

Get a White box you won't regret it, Monarchs $1,300 custom build is $1,000 less than the Dell & they use class A parts not Dell junk parts. Call Dell ask them what brand MOBO or HDs they use & they will just say, can we build one for you Dude?

http://www.resellersratings.com is a good site to find an honest reseller or a custom PC builder.

Good luck to you in your search. Here's a little light reading on Dell.

http://bellsouth.cnet.com/hardware/0....top.8582671-1

Update on the next door Dell, she took it to C&C PCs today to let them fix it & lo & behold there were 4 of the same $2,250 Dells sitting on the floor in front of hers. I asked her If dell was going to reimburse her for the repairs on her 3 week old Dell. She said Hell no! Wow Dude Dats no good, I would call Dell if you have time to wait, & want to get a good laugh at their Techis LMAO in WhiteBox land HeHe!

Marturo

Last edited by marturo; 11-09-02 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 09:29 AM
TonyZaradich
Visiting Guest
The first thing you'll want to do is figure out about how much you want to spend. Most major pc manufacturers use decent parts, so what you're really buying is the service contract. If you're not inclined to fix pc's yourself stick with a company that will provide excellent service. Personally, I can fix them myself but I would choose Dell over all the others. I've been fixing, building, troubleshooting, programming, networking, admin'ing, etc for years now and have worked with all sorts of vendors. Local guys in the stripmalls are good for a quick fix, but usually their knowledge is limited. Pay the extra 100 -200 bucks for peace of mind and 3-4 years of service from Dell. They don't give any hassles and have the part to you within 24 hours, besides their PCs are excellent. Like anything else, you get what you pay for...
Just don't go with anyone promising to sell and service a pc that you have never heard of...it's just not worth the hassle. Most of the small local companies start with the best intentions, but then find out they can't handle the new business or the business itself folds. You can kind of think of it this way: You wouldn't buy a car or an appliance made from the guy down the street, would ya? Buy from someone with a solid reputation. Have I said Dell is who you should buy from? (No, I don't work for Dell either)

okay...what should you look for?

Actually, I just purchased another Dell for my home here. It is an 8200 series and cost about $1500. I got a 2.53GHz, 256MB RAM, 19" monitor, 40GB Hard drive, wireless keyboard/mouse, cd writer, dvd drive, upgraded video to 64MB Geforce titanium, upgraded sound to turtle beach, upgraded speakers.

Old 11-10-02, 09:59 AM
I have been building my own computers for about 8 years now. Last year when my sister was visiting from Australia, we bought Motherboard, memory, HD, and video card, at computer show for discount prices and with some basic instructions, she took the parts back to Australia in her suitcase and purchased the case and power supply there. If a 55 year old school teacher can build a computer anyone can.

Another Dell horror story. Last year my brother in law bought a top of the line Dell for $2800. After SEVERAL months of calling tech support, he called me. The CDRW drive wouldn't work because it was a CD-ROM. The build sheet clearly showed it should have been a writer, but it wasn't. Tech support had him reinstall the printer several times, with no luck. What they didn't tell him was to pull the tape off the bottom of the ink cartridge. The scanner wasn't recogized by Windows and no driver was installed or even included. Had to get the driver from the scanner website. He had absolutely NO computer experience, so I can't blame him, but almost anyone could have fixed these problems in no time. Evidently, Dell tech support has no experience either.

Nashcat

Old 11-10-02, 11:58 AM
eduhfajita
Visiting Guest
Thanks everybody for your input. I was thiinking of buying a Dell, but my son is not fond of them either. I am going to check the sites you recommend me and later let you know what I finally did. Not doing it myself... I don't feel confident enough... But I think I have a better view now...

Eduh

Old 11-10-02, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up Off to a good start.

Hi eduhfajita,

As you can see this is like asking. What car should I buy? Of course you have a lot of Car & Track or the Consumer Reports. As you do with PCs.

I spent 6 months just studing what parts were good & bad, so I could build my first 2 PCs. You did the right thing by asking, even though some drive Fords & some drive Chevys

Doing your home work before you spend your money will save you a world of troubles, in the short & long run.

I will always agree if you don't feel like you can handle the little problems that allways pop up, after you build a PC. I reccomend that you let someone like Monarch Computers put the parts together. Work out the little bugs & then when you first boot it up it will be fun, adding your programs & getting hooked up to the Internet.

Building your own takes patience, because seldome does it go smoothly. Many who build have learned, little tricks to make things work, so don't feel it's as easy as some who have built for years try to make it out to be LOL

Good luck on a wise choice, & don't worry you will be back PCs seldom work extra well for long, we are always looking for that next fixum up Patch, or driver. Win 2000 Pro & not XP will make you very happy for many more years.

Then maybe we all can go to LINDOWS Have a Good one & stay happy

Marturo