CD Rom drive says D: not Ready

Old 11-08-02, 01:54 PM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
CD Rom drive says D: not Ready

I burn my backup programs to cd using my desktop computer and when I try & load cd on my laptop, the comment says "D: not ready, pls try again". If I use my windows cd it automatically starts up ok, so I know that the CD rom works fine, so I'm thinking the issue must be something to do with the burned cd's... They do work on other cpu's, but not my laptop. It has a speed of 20x and it's set for quad speed or higher, it plays all kinds of audio cds ok. I got a lens cleaner and had it cleaned but it didn't make a difference. When I insert the cd in the rom it spins very slow like its dragging on something. Did someone else have this experience or can someone advise me on what to try? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-02, 02:00 PM
MarGinJoey
Visiting Guest
You didnt mention what type of laptop it was, but here's a guess... You burned the CD in WIN XP and cannot read it on WIN2k??? Thats common if thats it. Another scenario is SOME burners /software have an option making the recently burned CD ONLY readable in the drive you burned it in...

Hope it helps

MarGinJoey
(Mark)

Old 11-08-02, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you burn the cd are you perparing it to be read as any other drive or leaving it so that it can be written to more? Unless it it prepared to be read as any other drive, it will not be readable except under the burner program.

Old 11-08-02, 06:12 PM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
Another CPU without burner reads it

Yes, another desktop I have will read it, but not my laptop, can't figure it out.. Is it the speed that it was written at? I wrote it at 4 x, so I wonder if that could be it???

Old 11-08-02, 06:54 PM
Strange. I have a 24x burner and its products read on all the computers around here. So I doubt that the speed matters. Just for kicks, burn a new one at 1x and try it.

Old 11-09-02, 02:28 AM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
that might be it..

yes, I do keep the cd open when I'm burning it because I like to add items to it until it's full, maybe that's why it won't read it. The disc I'm using is R/W, not just read.. I'll check that out..

Old 11-09-02, 03:32 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
wallyk,
You did not mention the read speed of the laptop CD ROM. Some older ROMs do not read CD-RW disks natively (but some can with some additional software).
See if you can find UDF reader software from your burner program and install into the laptop. This may allow the ROM to read CD-RW disks.
Hope this helps.

Bluecanary25

Old 11-10-02, 05:56 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that some of the older Toshiba laptops (2-3 years old) had problems reading SOME burnt CD's. Never noticed a problem reading software distribution CD's, just Burn-Your-Owns. I believe it's connected to the depth the laser burns the track. Problem was it was only SOME Toshiba's, also Toshiba wouldn't admit they had a problem.

Old 11-10-02, 06:01 PM
I just remembered.....We found at the time that booting from a floppy with DOS Cd drivers loaded from the floppy, the unreadable CD suddenly was ok. That is, you could change to the D: drive and list the files on the CD. Sadly, this also didn't ALWAYS work. But it did say to me that the problem may also be with the Toshiba CD driver for Windows.