Couple of questions....

Old 11-12-02, 01:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions....

Hi all, thanks for your time.

My brother in law has a couple of computers in his house, each hooked up to a separate cable modem. (One is a newer 2.4 GHz with 256 megs of ram and the other is a Pentium II 150MHz with 98 megs of ram)

He would like to hook things up so that both computers can use the same printer (Preferably without hooking up the old 150 MHz directly to the printer since it has no USB ports). Is there a way to easily network the computers so that they can both use the printer through being connected to each other with the new computer being the one hooked directly to the printer?

OK, question 2...

He also recently bought an external cd burner (upon my advise) and it turns out since his old computer doesn't have any usb ports, so we're SOL. Would an adapter making it so you could hook up the burner to the printer port work? The guy at the computer shop has told him that the old printer port won't be able to deal with data fast enough. True? This is a 3 speed burner, I think.

Thanks a million to any who can help us out!

Old 11-12-02, 02:25 PM
T
If you network the 2 machines I see no reason to have 2 separate cable modems, one would be enough and you can share it between. You can easily network the 2 machines, either wired or wireless if not too far away.
Regarding the external burner, you can always pick up a PCI USB2.0 card and install it, then plug in the burner that way.

Old 11-12-02, 08:37 PM
I agree. Also the printer can then be connected to the PC that DOES have a USB port, then shared so that the other PC can print to it.

Old 11-13-02, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I've never networked computers before. Is it accomplished with some sort of kit or can the Ethernet cards in the computers be linked?

Basically.. How do I network them?

And, can they be networked to share a printer but keep the separate cable modems? (I think they like to play games together online, and I don’t think it’ll let you play at the same table if you’re from the same ip address.)

Old 11-14-02, 10:12 AM
T
Here's how you do it. Right now I assume that each computer has a NIC card, and is connected to the cable modem. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by playing games online, is it between the 2 computers or is it between multiple computers? The typical setup will only allow one computer to be in the DMZ zone (so only one will be "visible" from the Internet). However, most cable ISPs ( I know AT&T does) allow you to purchase 2 IP addresses on one account. Then you can simply connect the modem to a 4 port switch, and run a patch cable from each computer to the switch. The cable modem will assign a different IP address to each computer. You can also use a router for some added protection, but you'll need to disable NAT and put both computers on the DMZ, so you'll really not gain anything in this case.

Old 11-16-02, 06:55 PM
Basically, they both want to be able to play at the same card game table at pogo.com . Would they still be able to do this running off the same cable modem?

It seems they would if the modem will assign both computers their own ip address.

But still, how do you network the computers? Hook a cable line between them? (I think both ethernet cards have a spot to plug a coax cable into. )

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-16-02, 07:15 PM
T
The only times when you need a different IP address for each computer is for a direct connection. I don't believe Pogo is nowhere near that level. You can always try it before canceling the account anyway. What you need is a Lynksys 4-port router (I believe it's the 41 model), 2 patch cables and some patience. Connect on of the cable modems to the Wan port of the router, then connect each computer to the LAN ports on the router. Then go to each computer and write down all the settings (if any) in the TCP/IP tab from networking. Next, change everything to automatic, then go to 192.168.1.1, type admin as the password, no user name, and make sure you have an IP address assigned by the cable company. If you had information entered in the TCP/IP field enter them in the router's config, then reboot the router and the modem. After that everthing should be working...hopefully.

Old 11-16-02, 09:21 PM
XperT PC
Visiting Guest
Answer these questions:

1] what operating system are you running on the 2.4ghz?
2] what operating system are you running on the 150mhz?, (there is no such thing as a PII 150mhz).
3] is the 2.4ghz using a NIC or USB for the cable modem?
4] i have to assume you have a NIC in the 150mhz for the other cable modem?
5] how far apart are the computers, and will running a cable be a problem?

here's the cheapest and easiest solution - simple rough sketch.

1] install first cable modem into 2.4ghz via the USB port (or install second NIC $15).
2] disconnect second cable modem from 150mhz (will not be used in this scheme).
3] run a "crossover" cable between the NIC's of both computers (50ft = $20).
4] enable ICS on 2.4ghz (Internet Connection Sharing).
5] make sure workgroup name is same on both computers.
6] enable/ install NetBIOS, ipx and or netbeui on computers, this depends on O.S. and whether you want to play network games between the two.
7] enable limited file, CDRW, and printer sharing.
8] you may have to run winipcfg (w98) or ipconfig (XP) to renew the ip addy if they don't do it automatically.

NOTE: the 2.4ghz machine will need to be on before the 150mhz can access the internet or printer.

Old 11-16-02, 11:38 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Router...

The easiest and most cost effective way to handle this is a single cable modem, a multiport router/switch and two nic cards. Quick, easy and very stable. Make sure DMZ and you IP are enabled and away you go…

Old 11-18-02, 09:24 AM
wow folks! Thanks for the help!

posted by XperT PC
Answer these questions:

1] what operating system are you running on the 2.4ghz?
2] what operating system are you running on the 150mhz?, (there is no such thing as a PII 150mhz).
3] is the 2.4ghz using a NIC or USB for the cable modem?
4] i have to assume you have a NIC in the 150mhz for the other cable modem?
5] how far apart are the computers, and will running a cable be a problem?

#1: the 2.4 GHz is running win xp home edition

#2: the 150 MHz is running win98 first edition (I was told it was a pentium 2 class processor, but I wouldn't know how to find out for sure.. so I'll take your word for that since it sounds like you know what you're talking about.. I know the socket for the processor says socket 7 by it on the motherboard if that helps and during a boot it identifies the processor as 150MHz).

3: the 2.4 GHz is using an NIC (I assume since I know it's not hooked to a usb port... kinda looks like a fat phone jack)

4: correct.

5: the computers are in the same room so running a cable wouldn't be a problem.

I so much appreciate all of this input. It sounds a little more involved that I thought at first, but I think it's doable. It's just a matter of getting them to come off more money to get the hardware. (Of course without having to pay TWICE as much for internet service they should be saving enough to pay for this setup in little time).

Thanks again!

Old 11-18-02, 09:27 AM
Thumbs down No code?

Wow! It won't let me do the pretty quote stuff? Hopefully it's still decipherable!

Old 11-18-02, 10:30 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool ROUTER!!!

Running the crossover cable etc is a waste of time, please listen to me, buy a Linksys 4 port router BEFSR41 http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/res...1516994-0.html for about $60 US. Two 3com (or use what you have but 3Com is industry standard) NIC cards around $15 each. Two straight thru CAT5 cables at what ever length you need. Any computer shop will make these up for you for a reasonable cost or buy them pre made at Best Buy, Radio Shack etc. Set up the router with your ISP IP/DNS etc. Set both computers to automatically assign IP/DNS numbers in Networking. Set the DMZ host to the assigned IP most likely 192.168.1.1 and you are ready to go. With the crossover cable you will always have to have the one computer that the modem is connected to on for the second computer to access the net. Not to mention the resources needed to run the extra NIC in the first computer. The router (Linksys) will come with a CD that will literally lead you by the hand to install. Keep your yap shut to cable that you are running the second computer so they don’t have heart failure and just leave the router and modem on 24/7. There is no way for anyone to know how many computers you have except maybe by extreme bandwidth use for 10 or so computers. I run my two desktops a laptop and a PDA, an email server and an FTP server off the same router and have an extra cable connected for buddies if they come by with their laptops a LAN party or repairing someones computer. To access each others computers of course they will both have to be on. Trust me this is the most economical and least heartache way to go! Running a slave computer like mentioned is a waste of resource and time although it is the cheapest way to go I will say that. Mike…

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: