Too many features on a printer?

Old 11-18-02, 12:31 PM
maxxie
Visiting Guest
Too many features on a printer?

I still have not bought a printer. I am interested in a 4 in 1 printer (fax, scan, flatbed copy, and print). I heard that if one aspect of the printer breaks then the other aspects cease to work as well. Can anyone tell me if this is true. A salesman said that I could buy a warranty/guarantee for one or two years ($30.00-$50.00) and if something should happen to the printer then I could get a new one. I am not sure how true this is. Can anyone shed anymore info before I purchase a printer. Thank you.

Old 11-18-02, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 55 Posts
Personally, I'm not a big fan of combining equipment, although it does save some money and space. Two reasons, one is the reason you stated, the other is that if it goes to the shop because the fax isn't working then you are also without your copier, printer, and scanner until you get it back.

My $.02 worth.

Old 11-18-02, 04:41 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Well...

All in wonders can be nice but for the same reason I don’t buy those I don’t buy stereos in the all in wonder format. If you lose one you lose it all. They are nice to have but expensive to repair and hard to find a service center for them. You wind up sending it back to Korea or such and it takes weeks to get it back. I would get a printer alone and maybe get a scanner/fax in one but printers are relatively cheap right now so would go that way. Just my .02 too…

Old 11-18-02, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Combo machines.

Hi maxxie

Check with Office Depot, I believe they have an online store.

I bought an HP Scanner 6 mos ago & for $12.00 got a 2 year extra, direct replacement warranty, on top of the Factory warranty. They do carry all the HP do it all machines, as well as other brands.

I use an OfficeJet FAX/Copy/Printer (B&W) & have for 6 years now. However I don't think I would want a Scanner in with it. But it's your choice & that's why they make so many combos.

$12.00 is a good price for 2 extra years, but then I can drive to OD & do not have to wait for them to recieve & reship. For 30 or 50 dollars extra for extended warranty, I can wait. That seems high to me.

Good luck with your choice. I now have 6 HP products & they may cost more, but all I do is use them, & never have had any problems. Just lucky, or good product. who knows? You have gotten some good answers already, more should follow.

Marturo

Old 11-19-02, 05:44 AM
maxxie
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for your input. I never thought about Office Depot. I will check them out this week. I, too, thought that the warranty prices were high. I like the price that you paid. $50.00 compared to $12.00-- you placed me in a direction of purchase. Thanks.

Old 11-19-02, 06:04 AM
maxxie
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all who replied. I will be purchasing a printer this week. I am taking all of your comments under advisement. I get such a wealth of information when I post a question. It allows me to have more knowledge in order to be a better consumer. Thanks to all.

Old 11-19-02, 12:50 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Not necessarily (although of it something like the PS
or main controller, it would be though). The downfall is when
you have the whole unit sent out for repait, you are out the other functions as well. With individual components, you can send individual components away, or replace them, without affecting
the use of the others, usually.

Old 11-19-02, 01:03 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Wow...

Wow I should have said that...

Old 11-19-02, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 55 Posts
Thought I already did, LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question