modem virus?

Old 11-26-02, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
modem virus?

Is there such a virus or something similar that can make your system quit reading your modem?

Just curious. A friend thought her modem quit, someone mentioned that a virus can do this, Norton didn't find anything, she reformatted!?! and reinstalled WinMe. I didn't get a chance to get her to try simply uninstalling and reinstalling her modem.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-02, 10:51 AM
The answer is no....although a virus can corrupt files so that a modem no longer works.

Old 11-26-02, 11:03 AM
I forgot to mention that the modem works fine now after the reinstall of WinMe. I'm afraid that she could have just uninstalled the modem and then reinstalled it with the same outcome.

Lots of work for nothing, then. Won't say anything to her right now, but will mention that there is an easier way than having to re-set your entire system and configurations up all over again.

Kay

Old 11-26-02, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess it would be possible to write a virus that would rewrite the firmware or something on a modem. But you would have to write a virus for every type of modem out there, and you would never recover that modem. I think maybe she "accidently" uninstalled the modem, or drivers possibly. Modems are so touchy it's hard to say without knowing more. But I definitely have to agree, there are much better ways to get a modem working again.

Old 11-27-02, 06:20 AM
I am bemused that it seems that so many computer owners reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows whenever anything goes wrong.

In fact, I find it troubling that several recommendations from help desks for services have been to format and reinstall windows. When I have questioned these professionals about this, they seem taken aback that anyone would question their recommendation.

As was mentioned about simply reinstalling the troublesome device in question, sometimes just restarting windows solves the problem as easily. I try to use and recommend the simplest possible solution.

Well, this has nothing to do with anything particular; just an observation.

Old 11-27-02, 07:28 AM
chfite

I used to always reformat and reinstall too. After going through that headache too many times, I have begun to look for alternatives. I wish that she would have told me that she was going to do that beforehand. I had just talked to her about an hour before that and her plan was to have a friend look at the modem.

I am assuming that she is like me in that it drives her crazy to not be able to connect to the internet so she took drastic measures. I am going to see her this weekend so I will show her how to uninstall/reinstall drivers and/or hardware.

Honestly, she had gotten so frustrated that she was contemplating buying a whole new system. I talked her out of that one (told her she had to wait 3 days before making that decision). Now she has decided to just get the flat monitor so she can actually use her computer desk for more than just housing her computer.

Kay

Old 11-29-02, 02:16 AM
logjam
Visiting Guest
I forgot to mention that the modem works fine now after the reinstall of WinMe.

There's your problem Kay, you have that nasty Windoze virus!

Old 11-29-02, 07:08 AM
duz that men ur a mac user ora lindex user?

hehehe

Okay, so I'm an idiot this morning. For all I know mac uses linex. Or is linex a server. Last mac I had was a dinosaur. I mean, old. The poor thing was slow as Christmas and I couldn't do much on it, but I never once booted up and didn't get a happy mac face!

I have had so many problems with learning the ins and outs (mainly outs) of Win98 that I am scared to upgrade to anything else (operating sys). My friend has Winme. I do seem to spend a lot of time getting updates and patches.

Personally, I'm just grateful when my eMachine boots. Mix that with Windoze and what do you have? A woman. Just kidding.

Better description would be me during the holidays. Stressed out, and not knowing what to do half the time. Can't find my keys (operating system), misplaced my wallet (registry), purse is under the table (broken link)...LOL.

Kay

Ps. In a really good mood today, and do thank everyone for helping me to clear up the virus deal. I am going to visit her this weekend and will work with her on making sure she is running her virus protection, and will also see what firewall she has. I don't remember her having one at all. I believe her virus program is Norton. I hope their website is informative since I've never used that software. I will also explain to her the route to take if this happens again, so she won't reformat and reinstall the whole op sys.

K.

Old 11-29-02, 12:38 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
Who moi?

I've never owned a Mac and never really used one to speak of.

Linux is a free variant of UNIX, originally created by a Finnish guy named Linus Torvalds - Linus + UNIX = Linux - and subsequently contributed to by thousands of people all over the World. Here's a short FAQ if you're curious... http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/linus/

I have used UNIX and I've tried installing Linux on my PCs before now, but I always seem to come unstuck with configuring X-Windows. UNIX enthusiasts would probably shoot me for this but a Linux/UNIX shell is roughly analogous to DOS and X-Windows is roughly analogous to Windows. I say "roughly" because the shells - there are actually several shell variants - are far more advanced than DOS ever was and a Linux user would doubtless argue that whichever GUI (Graphical User Interface) they use is light years ahead of Windoze.

I keep meaning to try again... soon.

In the meantime, I remain a Windoze user - it's the simplest option and all my games work here - but that doesn't stop me from taking potshots at Microslop, especially when they do things I consider dumb or obnoxious.

Old 11-29-02, 12:57 PM
*but that doesn't stop me from taking potshots at Microslop, especially when they do things I consider dumb or obnoxious.*

You must take a lot of potshots then. That would be a full-time job.

Old 11-29-02, 01:16 PM
Windoze, I have heard that. I like microslop, too. Haven't heard that one.

Kay

Old 11-29-02, 02:37 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
"You must take a lot of potshots then. That would be a full-time job."

Actually I think Microsoft does some good things too.

I love their input devices for example - I have MS Mouse, Trackball, Strategic Commander, Force Feedback Joystick and Ergonomic Keyboard (the one with two USB ports).

I think their operating systems do okay, given the diversity of software and hardware they have to accomodate.

But I don't like their business practices and I have a strong suspicion that they're going to get away from the whole DoJ thing far too lightly.

And I wish they hadn't discontinued my keyboard. Having a USB keyboard that also acts as a hub works great - plug your mouse and whatever else into your keyboard and leave the second USB port on your tower free for a printer, no need to mess around with a separate USB hub. The keyboard ports are also very accessible.

"I like microslop, too. Haven't heard that one."

S'cos I just came up with it. (ok, so somebody else probably has too, but I hadn't heard it before either )

Old 11-29-02, 02:53 PM
*I love their input devices for example - I have MS Mouse, Trackball, Strategic Commander, Force Feedback Joystick and Ergonomic Keyboard (the one with two USB ports). *

Well, that's one area I will have to strongly disagree with. Logitech definitely makes the best ID. I tried a MS trackball and it just plain sucked. I've used TB's since they first came out (when they cost over $100) and the first one I had was a Logi. The thing lasted about 5-6 years, and I use my computer every day for hours, so it had thousands if not millions of hours on it. Still worked, just not perfect anymore, so I bought a "comparable" MS track at Wal-e World. Terrible!! Didn't track very well, kinda like when you don't clean off the ball and rollers inside. It would "jump" like it had grooves in the ball. The thing was awful. So I took it back and got the Logi. No problems, love it, just as good as the first (only this one has the cool red LED's in it, so it lights up.) I don't think I'll ever buy MS hardware again if I can help it.

I've had similar problems other devices too. Like webcams. Logitech just makes the best, that's all there is to it. Anything else just won't do for me.

Old 11-29-02, 09:08 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
*shrug* I had a Logitech mouse before this one, but when it finally gave up the ghost and I went to buy a replacement, I didn't like what they'd done with the styling.

Almost bought one from a friend in fact, but I decided I was sick of gunky rollers so I spent some time getting a feel for the mice that were out there and found I liked the Intellimouse Explorer. It's been great.

Ironically MS has also changed the styling on their mouse since then and I don't like it either. Guess I'm just really picky.

As for trackballs, I'd toyed with the idea for quite a while and borrowed both Logitech models - center and thumb - from a friend to try. Found I preferred thumb trackballs, so when I decided to buy one, I went to a store and tried out all the thumb tracks they had, expecting to like the Logitech one best... I was surprised to find the Microsoft thumb trackball was more comfortable.

My keyboard USB ports allowed me to use both mouse and trackball without unplugging anything, which was great - I used to use the track for Windows and the mouse for gaming.

Over time, I gradually stopped using the mouse altogether - though I still use one at work - and eventually disconnected it in favour of my Strategic Commander - an MS game controller which, by the way, was light years above the two competing products I tried, despite being old and difficult to find.

The only "problem" I've had with my MS trackball is gunk on the bearings, which are easily cleaned and don't gunk up nearly as much as my old mouse rollers did.

Works fine for me, even in twitch games.