network router cable modem

Old 11-28-02, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
network router cable modem

Background:

I have 5 computers on a peer-to-peer network. 4 run Win98SE, 1 is Win95. These were all set up with static IP addresses. Everything worked fine.

I recently installed a cable modem attached to a broadband router and changed the static IPs to “obtain an IP address automatically”. The network still works OK, and they all have internet access. They can all “see” each other in Windows Explorer.
Now the weird part. I can ping each one from the other using the IP address. Four of the five can ping any of the others using the computer name.

One (name is “desktop”), can ping 3 of the others by name, but when I ping the other 2, translates the name to the original (static) IP address and gets no reply.

I searched the registry for any references to the original IP, but get no hits. I removed the TCP/IP protocol for the adapter, rebooted, and added it in again, but no joy. I ran winipcfg and released and renewed – nada.

Any ideas?

Old 11-28-02, 09:11 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This sounds like a DNS problem. I'm no expert on networks, but try deleting the file called "host" in your X:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory. This may or may not work. But it won't hurt anything either. All this file does is help windows resolve the host name to it's IP address. So deleting may slow internet surfing slightly (very slightly.) You can also open it with notepad and edit it instead.

Old 11-28-02, 10:19 AM
C
Why not change them back to what worked? You can have fixed addresses from your router behind the cable modem. The router provides network address translation after a fashion, so that they all share the address that the router uses from the DHCP server on the cable system.

The order in which the computers are booted determines which one is the master browser. This can affect the behavior of the computers on a peer to peer system, especially running DHCP on the private address range. If you are running DNS on the peer to peer network, you need to make sure that only one of the computers is trying to be the DNS server. Restarting BIND should straighten out the recognition by the group.

Old 11-30-02, 10:01 AM
chfite:

It only worked with static IP addresses without the cable modem. What I mean is that the networked worked but the modem wouldn't.

SafeWatch:

That was it. I edited the hosts file (which was in C:\windows) and there were the old IPs. Changed them back to the values which were automatically assigned, and all is well.

Thanks, guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: