NOVICE - wants router to share cable

Old 12-04-02, 06:34 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NOVICE - wants router to share cable

I have two computers - different rooms. Want to have them share cable modem so that my wife and I can be at different sites at the same time. The computers both have etherenet cards. I talked to Gateway where I bought the computer and they said I just need to get a router - I want to go wireless with it - again they said get a router and you will need a satelite for one of the computers. Went to Best Buy they were going to sell me a Linksys wireless router - then they said I also needed a PCI card. They told me I had to replace the ethernet card with the PCI card. One thing I don't do is replace cards!!! Talked to Gateway again - they said I could do that if I want - but I am already set-up for high speed access and just needed a wireless router and satelite. I got so confused I returned the router!
HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
PLEASE!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 07:10 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, first of all, let's get the terminology straight:
The ethernet cards you have ARE PCI cards. Ethernet just means 10/100 card, PCI is the actual interface of the card. PCI cards are internal, they plug into the slots inside the computer.

No matter what you do, in order to make 2 computers access the internet, you will have to have a router (wireless or wired.)

Now, here's where it gets tricky. The cards you have now, will not work with a wireless router, they are made to be connected to other computers/hardware through a network cable. In order to make the wireless work, you will have to change the cards (or use a wireless USB connection.)
Now, the thing is, you only have to change one card, since the other computer will be next to the router (you can use a cable to connect it.) Most wireless routers will also have wired inputs on them (make sure you get one that does.)

Now the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is to run a network patch cable from the router to the other computer and connect them all that way. You will save a lot of money on the router itself, plus you won't have to change the cards either. Of course, you can't always run cables from one room to another. Take a look at www.linksys.com for some more options. Also, www.d-link.com is another good site.

I know this may seem like a lot of information, if there are some terms you do not understand, please feel free to ask.

Old 12-04-02, 08:30 PM
Y
safewatch

maybe safe watch can verify

i would suggest a hub instead
they are almost half the price
i have one now with 2 computers running
a router is needed to assign multiple ip addresses
my dsl provider allows two so i only bought a hub
i used my pci that came in the machines
if you have to replace-which i dont know why-they are on sale
9.99 best buy
then just buy catagory 5 cable and your done
hub is 30 bucks
have fun

Old 12-04-02, 08:35 PM
S
Well, basically here's the difference between a router and a hub.

A router is a Gateway to the internet, it holds your IP address to the ISP, so you only use one IP at the ISP. It also has a DHCP to serve IP's to the computers attached in the home/office.

All a hub does is connect your computers together, it has no software, no IP's, etc. Everything has to be setup.

Routers are much easier for the layman to work with, since there is essentially no setup to use one.

It's worth another $15-20 for a router. I got a D-Link 4 port DI-604 router for $40 with rebate at Best Buy.

Old 12-05-02, 10:19 AM
B
Thanks Safewatch - more ques???

Thanks - I think I actually understood what you were saying!!!! Let me spit it back to make sure and then ask more:

Cheapest way is to NOT go wireless - and simply connect up remote computer by wire at the ethernet card. Need to crawlk around basement - but this may not be possible - so if I have to go wireless - the ethernet card that I just bought with my new computer will not work. I will need to replace it with the card that will go with whatever wireless model I purchase. Right so far?

BUT - instead of replacing the card -- Is it possible I can just buy something that connects through the USB connection on the new computer? - See - I did look at those links you supplied!!!

Once I get the router - whichever one - I understand I will have to install software related to the router and new car or USB connection. Do I also have to install software related to my cable modem and ISP provider? I would guess I do have to install software for the ISP provider - or how would I access them - but not sure if I have to install any modem software on the remote.

Are these questions making sense? I think I may be confusing myself again

I'll be sooooo glad when this is all over and done with - but the new computer isn't scheduled to arrive until Dec 11. Hope I can figure this all out by then! Do appreciate the help. This DIY site is the greatest!

Old 12-05-02, 12:23 PM
S
Well, the good news is it sounds like your getting the lingo down, and I think you understand where we're going with this.

And yes, if you look at the Linksys site, they have a USB connection there that is wireless. With USB USUALLY you do not have to install any drivers (sometimes you may have to pop in a disk to get the drivers updated on the computer, but this is really easy, no turning off the computer or moving hardware around, etc.)

Moving on, most new routers don't require any software (and very little, if any, setup.) The D-Link router I bought a month or so ago was sooo simple, just plug everything in and it was working (now, there are some settings you can change and play with, but most of the time they are not necessary.)

As for ISP's, they are all different. I have a cable modem attached to my router, it requires no software whatsoever on my computer. Most of the software that comes from ISP are for specialized programs (like putting a little graphic in IE, or making the toolbar say "Such in Such ISP", some tech support stuff maybe, etc.) Usually, you don't have to install software with a cable modem.

I'm guessing, but I think from your first post you already have the cable modem setup. If so, you have everything you need to make it work already. Just move the network cable from your computer to the router, then plug your computer into one of the ports on the router, plug in the other computer, and you should be ready to go. If you have problems, we'll work on that when you come to it (you may have to adjust some network settings to make it work right, but if you are running Win98 + then you can run Network Wizard to set up everything for you.)

If you want to test out the router before you get your other computer, you can do that. Even with only one computer connected, you can figure out the basics of it. That way you will know for sure when you get your other computer, whether you need more assistance or not.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-02, 08:43 AM
N
bogey

1. It can be done wireless.
2. It can be done without a router.
3. I'm doing it that way.

I have a cable modem connected to my main computer. I recently purchased a new laptop with wireless networking built into the computer. I wanted to network the two without running CAT5 cable through the house. So, I bought a Linksys, model wusb11, USB wireless adapter at Best Buy that I plugged into the destop system. I am running what is called peer-to-peer networking and it is working fine for me. Transfer speed goes up to 11Mbps and file and print sharing work fine. It took me a couple of tries to get the settings right, but here is a web site that will walk you through it.

Just make sure that you have a firewall running and your security settings are correct to prevent hacking.

Nashcat
networking link

Old 12-07-02, 09:27 AM
S
That's true. Nashcat's idea will work. What nashcat has setup is a Proxy server, basically (or Internet Connection Sharing.) There's a couple of drawbacks to using ICS and Proxies.

1. The server has to stay on 24/7 to have access on the second computer.

2. You would have to buy 2 wireless cards (or wireless USB, as nashcat mentioned) to make it wireless.

3. Sometimes setting up Proxies is not that easy. I would not recommend it for beginners. ICS is SUPPOSED to be easy and pretty much automatic. I have found that it's not quite that easy sometimes. You know how Windows can be. You also didn't mention which OS you're using, XP is probably the easiest for ICS.

Now, there is some good news to this too. If you can get a Cat5 from one computer to the other, then you can do the same thing with a cross-over peer-to-peer cable. The only advantage to doing this is that you don't have to buy a router. But I would still recommend getting the router, the advantages far outway those of ICS. It's much easier to setup, the price difference is very minimal, within $50-60 difference, if that. Plus, you don't have to leave either computer on 24/7, just to have internet access at the other computer.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-07-02, 02:03 PM
N
Safewatch,
You’re right, the server has to stay on 24/7, but I did that even before I got the laptop. I have it set to hibernate, and to wake on LAN. One thing I’ve noticed is that when it wakes up on LAN traffic, the monitor doesn’t come on. The monitor only comes on when you access the keyboard or mouse.

Yes you would need two wireless cards. Since my laptop came with WiFi installed, I only needed one device.

No, it wasn’t easy. I worked on it several days, until someone on the forum gave me the web site that I posted earlier. I’m running ME on the desktop and XP on the laptop, and the ICS wizard would not work, running it from either computer. This had me stumped, since I’ve been building computers for about 10years. (My first was upgrading an XT to 6Mhz!) When I followed the instruction from the web site, everything worked fine on the first attempt. Basically, I had to uninstall most of the protocols and reinstall them in a certain order.

It would have been much easier for me to go with a wired network. I already have a wired router between my cable modem and my desktop for added firewall protection. I also have fairly easy access to my attic and crawlspace for running cable. Plus I have plenty of bulk Cat5 cable and connectors, since my line of work is networking industrial automated equipment. One of the main deciding factors is that I didn’t want to set up another desk or docking station for the laptop. I can check email from the patio on nice days, have Internet access in my workshop (about 50 feet from the house), or swap and print files from the living room in from of the TV.

Your suggestion of using a crossover cable between the two computers is the easiest and least expensive method to get started. Running Cat5 cable doesn’t have to be difficult if you are creative. In carpeted rooms, you can usually tuck it under the baseboard. I’ve also run it behind door molding when you need to get past a doorway. Just be careful with the molding and watch where you put the nails. When rooms are adjacent, drill holes behind the baseboard molding through the wall.

A crossover cable setup will require adding an additional 10/100 Ethernet card to the sever computer.

If you think this is hard, try networking industrial robots. A network CRASH takes on a whole new meaning.

Good luck with the networking. Let us know how it comes out.

Nashcat

Old 12-15-02, 09:56 AM
B
Talking

OK - that wasn't so bad. After fretting over the instructions that came with my Linksys router - I reread everything you guys said and finally dove in ((really the only way to do it). It was EXTREMELY EASY!!!!! The fact that I already had a cable internet connection may have helped this. I hooked up the hardware per the pix in the instructions- then ran the CD rom that came with it and the CD rom did everything. For the remote computer I opted for the Linksys USB connection so that I would not have to open the case and install cards etc - you know - the REAL SCARY stuff for us noivices. That worked great too (again - CDROM supplied did it all).

I now have internet connections on both computers.

HOWEVER - and I don't know if this is a real problem or not -
on the remote computer - in the tray at the bottome with the two computers icon - there is a message saying "wireless network connection; Wireless connection unavailable" - but the internet connection works just fine

There is no such icon on my computer that is connected directly to the linksys router. Both computers have internet connections. Also when I look for linksys software on the host computer - I can't seem to find any programs (thought there might have been some kind of manual installed).

Do I have an issue that needs to be addressed?

Thanks again to all for your support and great advice!!!

Old 12-15-02, 11:15 AM
S
See? Told ya it wasn't too bad. Even if you had to open the case, you could handle it, there's not as much in there as most people think. And really not much that you can move/change anyway. With computers these days, everything is color coded anyway.

The CD you got probably does have a manual on it, but it probably was NOT installed to the computer, just reference the disk if you want to view it. The stuff that was installed is probably just drivers, which are installed to the Windows folder. Of course, you NEED these drivers. The software for routers is built-in to them, you access a special web page to bring it up (see your manual.)

As for the "Wireless Unavailable" I'm not real sure, I have a theory, but I've never used wireless so I'll leave it up to someone who knows. Maybe Nashcat will have more info on that.

Enjoy your new computer and network

Old 12-15-02, 11:57 AM
B
Now the icon says "wireless connection Lynksys; Speed 11.0mbps;signal strength excellant" - no matter which message is there for that icon - i still seem to have a good internet connection - so I guess I won't worry about it.

Can I also share files now? How do I do that?

Old 12-15-02, 12:04 PM
S
I've had similar problems with PCI NIC's, I'm not sure exactly what connection tells it the cable is connected or not, but even when my cables are supposedly "disconnected" I still have internet on them, just a Windows quirck I guess.

What OS are you running? Win98? WinXP? Anything above 98 will have Internet Connection Share, and should have the Setup Home Office in My Network Places. That is the easiest way to setup a Home network. You will also have to share your drives on each computer (My Computer, right-click the drive, Sharing, enable and enter a name.) Then you should be able to see it on the other computer in My Network.