Network Password

Old 12-06-02, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Network Password

Geez,
I thought I got rid of Network Passwords when I retired two years ago, - NOT. lol

IBM Aptiva, windoze 98.
I recently left AOHell and got a Cable Modem connection.
Now when I reboot my puter I get "Enter Network Password" before it finishes rebooting. Of course I can enter the PW, or Cancel, or X it, and Windoze then finishes loading.
Is there some way to eliminate this Windoze BOX???
thx,
fred

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-02, 10:06 AM
T
Certanly, simple open the networking properties (right click on the network neighborhood icon, selectr properties), Then make sure that under the primary network login you have windows logon. The next time you reboot you can enter anything as the name, but don't enter anything for the password. The password prompt should not come up again.

Old 12-06-02, 10:13 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That should work, but leaves your computer open to hackers on the internet. The best thing to do is use an auto logon utility. A lot of tweaking programs have these built-in. Basically they store you name and pass on your computer so that when the login window pops up it enters the info automatically, you don't even really see it. Try www.download.com for some of these progs.

Old 12-06-02, 11:17 AM
T
It doesn't really matter how you log onto Win98, there is no security. The password does nothing as anybody can simply log on and read any files on the machine. The Client password that you're seing now is only good for giving you access over network resources (i.e. computers, printer, files that are stored on the nework). It will do nothing for local resources. In terms of internet security, again, it makes no difference simply because they will have the same access as you do. I would follow my first advise and maybe install a firewall (like NetZero, or Norton) to enhance your internet security.

Old 12-06-02, 02:05 PM
Thanks trinitro,

The Windoze 'Net PW' box disappeared totally on the first reboot.

thx,
fred