How do I write/burn a cd?

Old 12-09-02, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I write/burn a cd?

The kids at his mothers and he is the expert, I cant even find out where to begin. I can do 3.5 floppys on drive "A" but what drive do I use for cd's definently not "C" but is it "D,E,or F"? I cant even find a suitable topic in the assorted help programs. Hitting "save as" it says I dont have access!!!! Its my own work I am trying to save.
I have a Compaq 5003, Windows 98 M E.

THANKS IN ADVANCE (could be a job for "Big Mike")

p.s. We DO have a cd writer.
top input is for veiwing/using (games software etc), next one down is the burnner, next input down is the little 3.5 "A" drive

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-02, 05:24 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, unfortunately, BigMike has decided to leave us, at least for now. But, on to your problem, I'll see what I can do. First of all, let's start with the OS, there is no Win98 M E, there's Win98 SE and there's WinME, but either way it's about the same OS anyway. That aside, you need to figure out which drive is your CD-RW. I'm guessing you actually have all the drives you mentioned, so let's see:
A: - you know - Floppy drive
B: - Not used
C: - Usually Hard Drive with Windows on it
D: - could be - Go to My Computer, then right-click D:, look at Properties and see what the Drive Type is right toward the top (this is the way it is on WinXP, I think Win98 and WinME are similar, but not positive)
E: and F: - use the same process above

Now, you may have 2 CD-Rom drives, to determine which one is the CD-RW drive, you could right-click in properties and click Eject, this will open the selected CD drive, keep going til you find the right drive.

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-02, 05:59 PM
There is going to be a little more information to follow when we determine which drive is the burner, and which is the read-only.

Safewatch, that is the quickest way to determine which drive is which, the eject button. Another would be to load a disk into the burner, and then when the computer refreshes the folder, it will give the title of the cd inserted, under the correct drive letter. Only downfall to this second method is that when a cd is loaded, it will begin to autoplay (this may be disabled - autoplay - if your son is a serious cd burner).

We also need to know what type cd burning software that may be on your computer. Some are all purpose burners, some are just data burners (you can drag the info onto the icon to copy just as you would the drive 'a').

The two software programs that I use are Nero (burns both types) and BJ Clips (burns only data cds - aka re-writable cds).

Once you get the basics of what is what, then the cd burning will be as easy as burning to drive A or copying a folder somewhere else on the maindrive!

Post back with a little more information or more questions if you don't understand what we're asking. We will be glad to help you out!

Kay

Moderator:
Chats & Whines, Pets, Health & Fitness
Crafts & Hobbies, Leisure Time

Old 12-09-02, 06:50 PM
BSB
Go with Kay...look for the burn program, nero, easycd creator there are others, but I don't know them. I think they are much the same in operation though, open the program, start a new session, drag the files you want to burn in the the "burn window" (most programs will let you know when you have to much data for the disk to hold). Once all data is selected (program, files, mp3's etc...)find the burn command, should tell you to insert disk to burn and if you wish to continue. If you want to copy a disk you can usualy just select "copy disk"

Also most of the programs have a burn wizard you can use, follow the prompts and your set.

If all else fails. call the expert.

Old 12-09-02, 07:05 PM
tae
guessing

My guess: hp computer
virtual drive,
cdr,
cdrw.
as to the no access prob, look here:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-51

Old 12-09-02, 07:07 PM
cdr not the same as floppy??? i guess

SafeWatch, Thanks for getting back so quick. OPPS! brain freeze, I get home and work mixed up I HAVE THE "M E" AT HOME.
"D" looks like an internal drive called SYSTEM_SAV I now remember the sales person saying there was a back up system.
"E" is the cdrom.
"F" is the burner.
I was going to go in to a long detailed process of errors etc. but some how I stumbled upon a "cd creator program" and beginning to learn I'll most likely waist a lot of cd's but this is neat!!!

Hi kaybyrd; Good to hear from you.

I have a multiable type writter, photo, music, data. but it is NOT a rewriter.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 12-09-02, 08:14 PM
I made the mistake of buying the rewritable disks when I bought my burner. The purpose was to do backups to it since it could be used as a floppy drive. Those rewritables are expensive, have to be formatted, which takes 4ever!, and I have lost more data that way.

When you can purchase a writable cd for 30cents or less each, it is just as easy and more reliable to burn copies of my data instead of backing up.

I too have a kid that is the burner in the family. He moved to Vegas last summer so I had to learn how to use the program. After I got started, and after burning a few coasters I can say that I've gotten fair at it!

Now, off to post my own questions about something I bought, not sure how to use it LOL.

Kay

Moderator:
Chats & Whines, Pets, Health & Fitness
Crafts & Hobbies, Leisure Time