Computer Add/Remove

Old 12-14-02, 04:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Computer Add/Remove

Out of the blue both my printer and my scanner refused to respond. I am trying to remove the software and reinstall first. Have checked all the connections. Secure but no communication between the two. Am on parallel ports and they have worked beautifully for a couple of years. My question is: When I remove software from my program for hardware is that considered removing and adding HARDWARE or SOFTWARE? Also, any other ideas as to what's happening here? Think I might have accidently removed something important? Thank so much for your advice.

Old 12-14-02, 10:15 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tell us what OS you're running. Also, what kind of scanner, printer, etc.?

Old 12-14-02, 01:25 PM
OS

My Operating System is Windows ME. It has been installed well over a year and doing just fine? I have my printer running now but it doens't connect with the Scanner for some reason. As I said in the previous post, I want to try to delete the scanner software and re-load. I have to check this off in deleting, so, I had asked-- When deleting and they ask if it's for harware or software----Which is removing the program of a hardware (scanner) considered? HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE? Hope I've made myself clear to you. Had a diffiucult time myself!

Thank you for your efforts, Jeany

Old 12-14-02, 01:55 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I think I understand what you're getting at. When you are removing the scanner, it ask if you want to remove hardware or software. You want to remove hardware, yes it's the software of the hardware that you are really removing, but you are wanting to remove the hardware in this case. Software would be like Internet Explorer, or the programs on your computer that have no hardware relations (like a mouse, printer, scanner, camera, etc.) The software for your hardware is called drivers, they make the hardware work with the OS. I hope this makes some sense. I haven't used ME in a while, so I don't really remember the procedure.

Old 12-15-02, 08:22 PM
I had exactly the same problem, except mine was with Win 98 SE. Try getting into device mangler and remove the parallel port. Shutdown the pc, and turn power off. Then power up. Windows will detect and reinstall the parallel port driver. Problem solved.

Old 12-16-02, 05:47 AM
Smile Thank you

I would like to thank each of you who sent me advice. I incorporated all the data and came up with the correct solutions to getting, first the printer operating independantly and then getting the scanner back on track---now they are communicating! I did remove and replace the scanner software several times ( making certain I checked off the proper recommendations.)
I did not remove the ports. I did remove a plug in the rear of the scanner and reconnect ( even though it was not loose). I did this after updating drivers. Hope this all makes sense becuase it worked! Thanks again.
Jeany

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: