IBM thinkpad A21m[/B] PASSWORD BREACH

Old 12-15-02, 01:54 PM
R
rehtaeh
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb IBM thinkpad A21m[/B] PASSWORD BREACH

Check it out; a few months ago I was by myself shopping at the local swap meet. I ended up coming across an IBM Thinkpad A21m. This laptop has a pentium III, dvd-cdr, floppy disk, video, ethernet, 512 mb of memory, etc, and the guy was only asking $125!!!1 Hell yes, I bought it!
Here's my problem, I got the software, etc., went to boot up andl lo and behold, there is a seemingly unbreakable SUPERVISOR password, which will not even let me into the administrator, nor the bios setup!
has anyone ever tried either one of the following method?
>erasing the EEPROM (ON THE MOTHERBOARD)-I just got my hands on an UV eraser.
>using nitrogen to freeze the EEPROM, therefore restting it to its state before it was programmmed?

I am going to wither try one or both of these methods if I can't come up with a very cheap used motherboard, Or even the chip, itself.[B]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-02, 06:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You probably have your hands on a stolen laptop..... the price was too low for anything legal.....

Old 12-16-02, 01:04 PM
R
rehtaeh
Visiting Guest
AIRHEADED PURCHASE

SO SAY YOU'RE RIGHT AND i BOUGHT A LESS THAN LEGITAMATE COMPUTER, i AM STILL OUT THE CASH- AND WHY NOT GET THE THING WORKING? i HAVE ALREADY CONTACTED MY LOCAL SHERRIFF STATION TO SEE WHETHER OR NOT IT IS ON THE HOT SHEET- AND i HAVE WAITED OUT THE 30 DAY GRACE PERIOD, AND NOW IT IS LEGALLLY MINE! hOWEVER, i STILL NEED SOME FEEDBACKON THE MATTER, IT'S MY ONLY MEANS OF CONNECTING MY SELF TO THE WEB!

Old 12-16-02, 01:47 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not real familiar with laptops, is there not a CMOS reset jumper on it? I know there is on Desktops, but I guess since laptops are often misplaced they wouldn't do that to keep them secure, but like I say, I'm not real familiar with them. Other than that, I would say just replacing the ROM BIOS would be your best bet.

Old 12-16-02, 02:59 PM
T
Laptops don't have a reset button, and removing the battery will usually do nothing. But there is always a trick in reseting the CMOS without having to replace it. I'm not that familiar with IBMs, your best bet may be to call them or go onto their support website, maybe they have something there.

Old 12-16-02, 04:49 PM
C
The supervisor password it set in the BIOS. You cannot get there without it. My guess is that pulling the CMOS battery and letting the memory fade will be your best way.

Old 12-16-02, 09:46 PM
Avenues:
Call IBM support. They can assist in cracking and/or providing a backdoor password [model, bios version, etc.].
If A: or CD bootable(?) use a full DOS boot disk, then try cracking it yourself. Free crackers: !Bios - http://www.11a.nu/pages.htm RemPass - http://natan.zejn.si/rempass.html
Paid help [including EEPROM chips] http://www.pwcrack.com/
If a disk password is tied to the bios password - IBM support or EEPROM chip. Cracking may not work.

If "administrator" relates to Windows... it's possible to bypass "Windows registry security" with a modified version of Regedit, [assuming Win98: create new copy named openreg, load within debug, change the byte at offset 'ds:a1b0' to 50, save to disk, rename to openreg.exe], plus Win.com on the boot disk. dOS software to read n' write to NTFS is available from systeminternals.

ie: Win98
copy source_path:\regedit.exe destination_path:\openreg
debug destination_path:\openreg
e ds:a1b0 50
w

q
ren destination_path:\openreg openreg.exe

Regedit calls Win.com, so both must reside on the bootdisk. Modify the PATH environment variable to the directory location(s) on A: where the files are stored or place both files in the root directory ("folder").