Using Java or ASP with a Database

Old 12-16-02, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Java or ASP with a Database

Ok, this is for all you programmer/webmaster types. I have a site I want to plug a database into. But I don't want to just display the database, I want to take the info from the database and plug it into separate aref referrals and addresses throughout the page. I'm pretty sure I have to use Java or ASP to accomplish something like this, but I have no idea how to use it (other than reading about a dozen tutorials yesterday for about 5 hours.) Let's see if I can come up with a good example:

Let's say I have 3 people: Mary John Mark
I have them listed in my DB that way.
I want to link to there page from my site.

So I want the Site to display "Mary" then I want her aref to be: "http://www.geocities.com/mary/"

Then I want to do the same thing with John and Mark.

Here's the thing, I add to this DB almost daily, so I want to be able to append to the DB without changing my website, just have it pull everything automatically and list it on my site. Eventually, I want to separate into A-D E-G H-L etc etc. But for now I just want to display it as easily as possible. Instead of changing every little reference on my site. I have about 1100 contacts to put in right now from my DB, and so far I only have 150 or so listed on the site, by separately listing each one (all html, not using any Java to list it or ASP.)

I've also tried SQL, and for some reason my server's not taking the request line right, but that's another story.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-02, 05:45 PM
I think that a PHP script or CGI script would do as well. Hit the SQL or MySQL again to serve your variable date.

Old 12-16-02, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I've been looking into those too. I know nothing about PHP or CGI either though, so I can't write my own. I'm having a hard time finding a good one too.

Old 12-17-02, 07:48 PM
Do some searching on the web. There are lots of freely available scripts on various sites, along with explanations of exactly what they do and how to implement them.