XP wont work

Old 12-16-02, 11:40 PM
M
Mombo
Visiting Guest
XP wont work

Installed XP Home on drive. Peracom Ethernet adaptor drivers no good for xp and no upgrade found for support. Says not "digitally signed" by Microsoft, but install anyway. I can connect, but computer reboots itself frequently while surfing the net. Not sure why no support fo xp with this USB adaptor. I use external cable modem and 750 Athlon PC with 20 gig drive and pc-133 (128) sdram. I hate xp home and pro, neither will work, and Ide like to know why, You would thinksuch a new OS would support most thats out there. Windows ME ROCKS in this pc, more so than 98SE. untill I figure out how to make this adaptor drivers work, I cannot use Home or Pro edition. any advise?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-02, 06:37 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not simply go and install a $15 NIC with a XP driver? You can try installing the Win2000 drivers, they should work with XP. Also, after it reboots, go to event viewer and figure out why it crashes. Most likely a bad driver issue, which is not really XP's fault. I find XP to be a lot more stable then ME, and even 2000.

Old 12-17-02, 09:21 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definitely agree with trinitro on stability. 100X's better than 95/98/SE/ME any of those memory hogs and multimedia crap. True, XP has it's problems, but most of the hardware now days is supported by XP, or has drivers for XP. If not, it's not MS fault (believe it or not) it's the manufacturer's fault. Go to the source, complain to Peracom. Try the 2k drivers. If that doesn't work, put in a new NIC (Linksys, D-link, they all run about $15-20 now, and they work.) You can try www.driverguide.com, but if you find a driver, it will be from someone who wrote it on the fly. If you can't find a driver from Peracom, then anything you do find may have just as many problems, or more.

NOTE: Make sure you completely remove any drivers/software you have installed for that NIC before you reinstall drivers, otherwise, you may have the same problems again.