windows xp logon problem

Old 12-17-02, 06:47 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
windows xp logon problem

I upgraded my windows ME to XP and now i cannot log on When the setup wizard came up i didn't put in a computer name so i think the computer thinks that it is on a network so now when i try to logon it won't work. I cannot log on at all but my comp is partitioned so i can get in on the other partition. What do i have to do to get that setup wizard to come up so i can put in comp name and create accounts so i can logon? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-02, 09:22 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
did you really "upgrade" or was it a clean install? do you get a logon prompt? If so, try to use"administrator" and no password, if you didnt put one on. Partitioning is always a good idea! for more than one reason. Maybe someone else will have some ideas, as i went back to 2000 pro since xp seemed to really get slow after awhile for me.To high of maintenance.And i really got tired of calling microsoft everytime i made changes.

Old 12-17-02, 09:22 PM
You can always reinstall, but what do you mean you can't log on? XP Setup won't allow you to finish the install without an admin password. What did you use for that? Domain is not important, and unless you have XP Pro you don't even have that option.

Old 12-18-02, 04:45 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
It is a upgrade from Windows ME, and i tried loging on as administrator and no password but it won't let me log on. If i reinstall wouldn't i have to do a clean install? Also my hard drive is partitioned, i have windows xp and window me with i have upgraded to xp but that one won't work.

Old 12-19-02, 06:53 AM
You had to type in a password for administrator, otherwise you couldn't finish the install. I don't believe it will allow you to enter a blank password.

Old 12-20-02, 04:07 AM
No password required..

I have XP PRO and no admin password was required.

Please give more detail of the problem: Where in the bootup process does it stop, ie) how far do you get? What error message do you get?

I ask because there is more than one type of logon. I'm not sure if you are talking about the XP logon or a network logon that pops up AFTER you get past the XP logon. These are two different logons.

The fix depends on which it is.