Windows 98

Old 12-19-02, 06:09 AM
B
BuzzKutts-Revenge
Visiting Guest
Question Windows 98

I am trying to upate my OS from 95 to 98. I bought the full version
of 98(I heard it was better to do that) and when I tried to load it I get a error msg stating I needed to use the upgrade. I want to use what I have and not have to buy something else. How can I ?
Thanks
BuzzKutt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-02, 06:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't really remember, but it would have been less expensive to buy the upgrade. Can you try the install from whithin Win95? It may work that way, as opposed to booting the computer off the CD.
If that doesn't work, you'll have to either reformat the drive and start from scratch, or start the computer with CDROM support, rename the Win directory to something else, rename the win.com file in the Win directory to something else, copy or delete all of the files on the root of the C drive to another folder, then start the install. This should be enough into fooling the setup program that there is no other version of windows on the drive. You'll loose all your files and settings, but you will be able to recover all your files (and favorites, etc).
Realistically, make sure you have at least 128Mb of RAM and a 6G hard drive. I would copy all my important files and settings, then reformat and install fresh. The best way to go about it.

Old 12-19-02, 10:50 AM
J
jmcgee
Visiting Guest
You probably would have been better off buying the upgrade. If you're going to use the full version you'll probably need to format your drive and start it from scratch.

Win 98 only requires, I think 32Mb of RAM and about 500 Mb of hard drive space so if you don't have the 6Gb HD and 128 Mb not to worry, unless you're a big gamer!

Old 12-19-02, 10:59 AM
T
You really don't want to run Win 98 with 64Mb of RAM...
It's true that Windows doesn't take that much room, but the other applications do....

Old 12-19-02, 06:59 PM
tae
you should be able to add a partition and load to that,having a dual boot.

Old 12-19-02, 08:40 PM
L
logjam
Visiting Guest
I think you're going to have to delete your Win95 stuff and install Win98 from scratch.

Couple of things to consider...

Do you have any data files you want to keep? If so, you should start rounding them up into a single directory - normally I'd say 'My Programs' is fine, but a reinstall will probably blow that away, so create a c:\Data or whatever you want to call it.

Keeping all your data files in a single directory structure is a practice anyway, imho.

How big is your Hard Drive and is it currently formatted FAT16 or FAT32?

To check the format, fire up Windows Explorer, right-click on your C: drive, select properties and check what it says by 'File System:'.

The reason I ask is that FAT16 has a size limit of 2.1Gb per partition - while you're mucking around anyway, it may benefit you to reformat the drive as FAT32, especially if it's physically larger than 2.1Gb i.e. you have capacity you cannot currently access.

Old 12-20-02, 04:14 AM
B
I agree on the memory issue...

Memory is so cheap now. 64mb is too small. Look at the lower right corner. See all those icons? Each one takes some of the RAM. With only 64mb, you'll be doing a LOT of swapping, if it runs at all.

And yes, if you are installing the FULL version, do a reformat and install. You will need to do this anyway in a couple of years with W98, 12 - 18 months if you use it several hours a day.

While we're at it, how old is your surge protector? I found out the hard way that surge protectors do wear out.

Old 12-20-02, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 36 Posts
Also, what's generally not known is that the "upgrade" version has all the files necessary for a full install. The only catch is that when you want to do the full install it will ask you to insert your Win95 disk to verify that you previously purchased (or possess) an earlier version which entitles you to the upgrade.

Old 12-20-02, 07:00 AM
T
The main difference between the upgrade and full install Win98 disk is that the upgrate won't boot, you'll need to run the install from Windows.
ME and above don't have that limitation.

Old 12-20-02, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 36 Posts
Right. To do a full install from a Win98 upgrade disk you have to boot with a Win98 floppy and then execute the setup once you select "with cdrom support" and get to the command prompt.

Old 12-20-02, 02:42 PM
F
fesjr
Visiting Guest
To install Win98 over Win95, restart in msdos mode and rename win.com to win.old ( at the prompt type "rename win.com win.old"). Then change to your cd drive ( type "d:" at prompt, or whatever your cd drive letter is). Type "setup" at prompt, then just follow the onscreen install prompts. This also works to install WinME full over a previous Windows install. This will not work over any NT install, (4.0, 2000, XP). This way all data should still be there when the install finished. To be safe backup any inportant data.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-02, 06:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your best bet when installing a newer OS is to do a total reformat and reinstall, otherwise you're going to have a lot of crap leftover that you don't need. Win98 takes less than 300 meg, even if you select every option.

I personally prefer, when installing a 98 system, to use a REAL DOS boot disk, not a windows boot disk, copy all the files off the CD in the win98 directory to a directory on the hard drive (such as c:\install\win98 ), and install it from there. Installation goes MUCH faster, and you aren't hounded for the CD everytime to add or change hardware.

Old 12-26-02, 10:12 AM
B
BuzzKutts-Revenge
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for all your help. I did the full format and install from scratch. It worked great. But I have another problem now. I bought the disk from a friend of mine and he doesn't have the product code #. I know your saying yeah right, but thats what happened. What are my options.

Old 12-26-02, 10:18 AM
J
jmcgee
Visiting Guest
The product code is on the book so I'm assuming you nor your friend have the book that came with Win98. Is that right?

Old 12-26-02, 10:32 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, if you lose your license #, you could always buy a new copy (or license.) Or you could do a lot of searching online for a license #, not the legal way to do it, but it works, for a little while anyway. Just depends on how you feel about pirated software, I guess.

Old 12-26-02, 03:31 PM
B
BuzzKutts-Revenge
Visiting Guest
Question

I don't mind pirated software as long as it's not from me. And no no-one has the book or Cd cover. How much and how can I but another.