virus question

Old 12-20-02, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
virus question

Hello I have a question can my computer get a virus from a web site?Or can I only get it from attachments on EMail.
Thanks a million Michael&Barbara

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 07:28 PM
Yes. It is possible for certain vulnerabilities in Windows to be triggered from malevalent web sites. Mousing over certain modified MP3 file titles can do it, too.

Go the places such as Symantec and McAfee and Cert to read about different viruses and how some of them work.

If you don't have current, first-rate virus protection on your windows computer, shame on you.

Old 12-20-02, 07:39 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
Not sure on the specifics, but since Microsoft has released several Internet Explorer patches and a warning about the (very old) Java Virtual Machine they install by default, I would say yes, it is possible.

As chifte said, get yourself a virus scanner and keep it up to date - it's not that expensive and one of these it could save you a whole lotta headache, not to mention potentially irreplacable data.

Also, keep Internet Explorer (or whatever else you may use for a Web browser) up to date - www.microsoft.com has patches for all their software (click 'downloads' on the left and navigate from there) - and keep your mail program up to date.

Each of the above steps will make you less vulnerable.

Edit: Come to that, you should update your Java Virtual Machine - http://java.sun.com/getjava/

Old 12-21-02, 04:13 AM
Thanks very much

Thanks very much I do have Norton installed and also AVG. last night I was surfing the web and I went to a site and all of a sudden the RED warning a virus infection detected came up.
I ran the Norton and sure as day it came up. I now see the importance of having this program and keeping it up to date. On my first computer I did not have one but this new one I have the Norton. Thanks for the info I will read up more on it.

Thanks again Michael