registry

Old 12-27-02, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question registry

Ok,

My Norton expired on me a few months back, I wasn't on the internet much at the time so I didn't think much of it. I just bought a new McAfee virus scan. I uninstalled the Norton and installed the McAfee. The McAfee ran at startup and detected the hybris virus. So, I have downloaded the tool to remove that. But, when it detected this it restored a old version of my registry and now when I try to reboot a message comes up like this:

"...the registry or system.ini can't find...Program Files/Symantec..."

Its looking for the Norton files. I verified that it wasn't in the system.ini. I tried to uninstall but it wouldn't go through because it couldn't find a certain Norton file. The original installation disk is long gone. I'm pretty sure its the regsitry causing the problem. But, I am not familiar with viewing the registry nor editing (if that is the answer to these messages).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This PC is on WIN98.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-02, 05:36 PM
make sure that norton is still not in your startup folder, run, msconfig, startup. If it is and it is checked, try unchecking it.

Download.com has free registry cleaners. You can try d/l one and install it, and clean up your registry for unused junk.

Old 12-29-02, 12:01 AM
tae
you can also go to start, run, then type in "regedit" and do a search for symantec, and delete all references, but remember, registry
editing isnt for the faint of heart. It can screw up your computer.