wireless laptop

Old 01-01-03, 12:57 PM
iamfineone
Visiting Guest
wireless laptop

Home has no cable due to location, but would like to use laptop anywhere using wireless. Only have dial-up internet access. Is 56k wireless available?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-03, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do you mean by wireless? Wireless internet access? Wireless networking? Tell us more about what you are trying to do here.

Old 01-01-03, 01:25 PM
iamfineone
Visiting Guest
Wireless laptop

I wish to roam the house with laptop and not have to plug into a phone jack. I believe with a NIC card on the laptop, but can I connect to the internet using dial-up, and still use the wireless ability.

Old 01-01-03, 02:05 PM
Sure, you can, but it's not that simple. You still have to have a modem to dial out. Which means you will have to have another computer connected through the modem. Then you will have to have 2 wireless NICs, one on each computer. Then you will have to setup the desktop, or stationary/proxy, computer to automatically dial-up when the other computer ask for a connection.

If you ask me, you're much better off with a long cord.

As far as I know, there's not a "wireless 56k modem" available yet. I'm sure it's not far off though. Check www.linksys.com or www.dlink.com, you never know, they may have something like that available.

I believe you could do something like that with an internet gateway also, that has a dial-up modem on it. But if you're going to go to all that trouble, get DSL/Cable, some sort of broadband, to at least make it worth while. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and money on outdated technology.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-03, 03:09 PM
Its been awhile since I've been on the forum but one of the last threads I was in was about this very subject. One of the people on the forum had found just what your looking for and at a pretty good price.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...wireless+modem

or do a forum searh with wireless modem and the post is under user rleescott

Old 01-01-03, 03:23 PM
I figured someone had thought of something like that, and sure enough, there it is. Unfortunately, it runs upwards of $350 just to setup 1 computer, and that's for 56k connectivity (which means you are probably lucky to get 48k or so.) One advantage to that solution, though, you can connect up to 10 other computers to it
Of course, if you do, it will cost another $125+, not to mention, you will cut your connection in half on both computers (I assume you know how that works, 56k/2 = 28k - add another computer 56k/3 = ~18k - so for every computer you add, less bandwidth.)

I still say go broadband. If you're just checking e-mail, you can live with plugging-in a long cord and slow connections. If you're an "always-on" kinda person (like most Mods here) you need broadband anyway. Just my opinion

Good luck!