Windows Media Play 9

Old 01-10-03, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows Media Play 9

I installed window's media player 9. It wasn't until the installation had started did I read that there was "no uninstall" for this program, and should make a restore point. Of course I didn't, and now I'm stuck with a junky copy of Media Player.
Anyone know how to uninstall it anyways?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-03, 09:00 PM
tae
for xp and me:...Use System Restore in Windows. Windows Media Player 9 Series will be removed and the previous version of the Player will be restored.

Any CD tracks copied to your computer will remain, and the previous version of Windows Media Player will be able to play this audio content.
For 98 se or 2000:...In Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs, and then click Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player 9 Series will be removed.
The restore in xp is always on unless disabled...you should be able to roll back to a point somewhat close to your install point.
I guess you could always try to install a different version,maybe it would uninstall, or just install a totally different media player and set it to be default.

Old 01-10-03, 09:15 PM
I tried 4-5 different restore points, and it couldn't/wouldn't remove media 9. I've tried installing an older version (7.4?) and it showed that the installation was completed, but get an internal error message..Seems there ought to be a way to manually removed the thing.. Geee for the good old days of DOS!!!

Old 01-10-03, 11:53 PM
tae
try this.....
you can delete it, only in safe mode w/ restore turned off, logged on as administrator, and replace it w/ v6 installed in compatibility mode for NT

Old 01-17-03, 07:18 PM
I found there was a fix availabel through MS. Fix #Q290700
This is supposed to fix the ability to create a restore point. Used it, and was able to install correctly Media Player 9 Works a whole lot better than before, and now no need to uninstall it.
Thanks!

Old 01-22-03, 07:31 PM
msargent
Are you using windowsME, I dont think that fix is for xp, but i could be wrong, i was thinking about downloading 9 myself? Tom

Old 01-22-03, 08:36 PM
Yes, I'm using Windoze ME. I haven't tried to uninstall Media 9 since the fix. The very first problem was actually installing it..My computer "burped" and messed it up.. I then tried to uninstall media 9, and that's when I ran into the problem of "No restore Point". At present, Media 9 plays well, looks ok... But sure am glad I didn't pay for it!!

Old 01-23-03, 10:12 AM
msargent
Ok, Thanks for the info, i understand it now.

Old 01-27-03, 11:25 AM
blkhawk1
Visiting Guest
i couldn't do an uninstall, went into services and everthing else and disabled it. went back to winamp.
Blackhawk