Dark spots on monitor

Old 01-23-03, 12:58 PM
Jerry1040
Visiting Guest
Dark spots on monitor

Dark spots on monitor screen right and left side from outside edge to almost center of screen. “Gateway VX1120 Mitsubishi Diamondtron”.

The Gateway Store Service Dept. checked the motherboard and video card “RIVA 32MB TNT-2 M64 AGP Video Card R1” and say they are okay. Have had 5 replacements and all have the same spots, however on 2 of the replacements they were much lighter but the screen was washed out on them.

I am about to ask Gateway for a different brand, but would like to know what causes the dark spots.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Jerry

Old 01-23-03, 02:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you try a different location for the monitor? It's unlikely that 5 monitors were bad.

Old 01-23-03, 02:24 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's what I was thinking. Maybe some magnetic interference? Speakers maybe? Try moving the monitor and the computer temporarily. Try connecting th monitor to another computer. Try moving the card to another computer temporarily. See if you can eliminate some components here and figure out exactly where the problem is.

Old 01-23-03, 09:00 PM
Jerry1040
Visiting Guest
I have taken the monitor to a friend’s home and hooked it up to his PC and there was no change. I have also disconnected the speakers and there is no magnetic field around the monitor and the wall plug in is at the floor level.

Thanks
Jerry

Old 01-24-03, 06:46 AM
T
If you connect the same monitor to a different computer in a different location and still have the spots then the monitor is bad.

Old 01-24-03, 10:07 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
If the monitor was beside a strong magnet moving it may not solve the problem. Once the screen is magntized you need to degauss it. There is adegzusser built in but it is not very strong and may not clean up a serious magnetizaton problem.

Old 02-04-03, 06:28 AM
danh7913
Visiting Guest
I had someone hold thier phone up to a monitor and it got a really dark spot from the magnets in the phone. It took a few weeks possibly months?, but the spot is gone now. Might just have to let the monitor work it out on it's own.

Old 02-04-03, 08:10 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, so this poses an interesting question: Why the he!! would you hold a phone up to your monitor??? I know you didn't, a customer or something, but why would anyone do that??? Was it making funny noises? Did it have a friend on the other line? Maybe some monitor from college or something? They used to work on projects together and just wanted to catch-up??? I can't think of any good reason to do that???

Ahh, I bet I know, this was one of Phonetek's practical jokes...

Old 02-04-03, 08:47 AM
S
They were trying to chat on the internet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: