fatal error msg

Old 01-25-03, 08:20 AM
the butchers wife
Visiting Guest
fatal error msg

Hello, I'm running windows xp and I also have msn messenger 5.0 installed. I've just started getting this Fatal Error message
"CRC failure on decryption" Does anyone know what CRC stands for? I just recently upgraded msn messenger to 5.0 I also have norton antivirus 2002. Would the upgrade to 5.0 have anything to do with it? I don't have to be on the internet for this error message to come up. Thanks for you help. Chris

Old 01-25-03, 06:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
* Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) - CRCs are similar in concept to checksums, but they use polynomial division to determine the value of the CRC, which is usually 16 or 32 bits in length. The good thing about CRC is that it is very accurate. If a single bit is incorrect, the CRC value will not match up. Both checksum and CRC are good for preventing random errors in transmission but provide little protection from an intentional attack on your data. Symmetric- and public-key encryption techniques are much more secure.

That is what CRC means. It appears that is an error in the checksums between compared data, yielding this error. Essentially, this process calculates the numeric value of information and produces a checksum to use to compare to the actual checksum calculated for the information when it is received. If there is a disagreement in the checksums, then the data differs from the original, in some way, and may be corrupted or compromised.

I don't use xp and don't have any information on your particular problem. Perhaps the foregoing will give you more to use in puzzling through your dilemma.

Old 01-25-03, 06:25 PM
tae
It's a data error (cyclic redundancy check)

When exactly do you get this error? on startup, or just anytime, or when opening a page?

Old 01-26-03, 09:28 AM
the butchers wife
Visiting Guest
Hello. I get this msg even when I'm not on the internet just when I turn on my computer and i'm looking at my desktop, it also happens when i'm on the net. That's why I'm having troubles figuring out where it's coming from. So in laymans terms.... lol what does all this mean. I'm gonna run a full virus scan on my norton and see if it detects anything> thanks for you input

Old 01-28-03, 09:43 PM
tae
did this message start only right after you upgraded mesenger or did it take awhile? did you add any other software? if it was after messenger upgrade, i would uninstall messenger and see if it goes away. you might also try disabling some programs that load at startup and see what happens, or even starting in safe mode and see if it comes up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: