I have a question

Old 01-29-03, 02:49 PM
Daniel_2332
Visiting Guest
Unhappy I have a question

I have a lot of problems with windows98, it has a lot of errors, I would like to remove windows from my computer and then install it again, I've tried to fix it by putting the windows98 cd, but it has prolems with the version. I would also like to know if by doing this, all the drivers would be deleated?? Or would I have problems installing the modem, cd-writter, etc...?? Can someone help me?? Thanks

Old 01-29-03, 03:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not a computer expert or anything, but one thing I do know is that Windows 98 is very unstable. We had it in this computer for about 2 years and we had to reformat about every 4 or 5 months.......We installed Windows XP around a year ago and have no problems, (knock on wood) , thus far...... Keep checking though because there will be others along that may be able to help you out with your particular problem, but they will request more info. from you as to the model, processor, o.s., etc. Good Luck.

Old 01-29-03, 06:42 PM
C
I have been running windows 98 since it came out and have been happy with it.

To reinstall windows 98, put the cd rom in the cd rom drive, click explore, click on the win 98 folder, find a program called setup.exe. Run the program and it will reinstall windows. All the drivers will be installed as they were initially, unless they are not part of the original installation, then they won't be changed. Some of your programs may not run, but you won't be able to tell until you try to run one and it complains that some *.dll or *.vxd file is incompatible or missing. In this case, just reinstall the problematic program and the installation will resolve the driver and file problem in the same manner as when originally installed. You will need to visit the windows update site to bring everything up to date. Windows should detect all your equipment and install the drivers or ask for the driver disks at the proper time as when originally installed.

For one, I fail to understand the fascination and fervor with which so many seem to reformat the hard drives. I reserve reformatting a hard drive for when the partitions were not set on the proper boundries by a third party program or another operating system is to be installed. On the other hand, reinstalling windows periodically is almost a good housekeeping activity.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-03, 08:19 PM
Windoze 98 is crash prone.
When I get thoroughly disgusted I'll go to XP Pro.
fred

Old 01-29-03, 08:51 PM
I have 98 on the notebook and 98se on the desktop. I have a lot of problems with the se. I have discovered a few things, however. I can't run IE6 on the desktop, but can on the notebook. For some reason 98se and IE6 dont' play nice together, and they are integrated. Could it be that you're actually running 98se and not just 98?

Just a thought.

After many reformats, I have learned that isn't always the route. A lot of trouble, and having to reinstall programs (even though they are still on the computer) to have the registry recognize them isn't fun.

If a .dll file or other type file is not found, then there are sites that have these files, or you can possibly do a search on your system and find them. Windows just doesn't know where to look after a reinstall. Most of the time you can search using google and simply type in the name of the missing file or .dll and it will lead you to the sites that have it for you to download.

Keep us posted.

Kay

Old 01-29-03, 10:40 PM
Smile What you asked how to do with Win 98.

Hi Daniel,

I have a link for you. This is what we do on our 4 PCs every year, for our Windows 98SE Operating systems. Clean fast & all that bloat you picked up along the way is gone after this.

If you don't have the driver Disks go to the sites & download on a diskette the new drivers.

Start only programs that need to run on windows start up menu, and shut the rest off. Don't keep on your Hard disk, what you can store on CD, if you are not using it.

If you follow a few common sense rules, Windows 98 will work just fine for you. Even your car needs rugular oil changes, so why not just reinstall Your OS every year & run a lean, mean computing machine. Once you see how easy it is you will wonder why you have not done it before.

http://www.pe.net/~eric545/pg22.html

Marturo

Old 01-30-03, 07:50 AM
T
First make sure you have a copy of all your files you want to keep (word, emails, pictures, etc). The best way to do this reinstall is if you have a second drive where to keep your files. The prefered way to reinstall is to format the drive where windows is located. If you don't want to /can't do that let us know and we'll give you the workaround solution.
Make sure you have drivers for your internet connection (modem or NIC drivers). Perhaps you still have the disk/CD that come with the computer, or you can dowload them from the manufacturer's website.
Next (after you made sure there is absolutely nothing on that hard drive that you may want), put the windows CD in the drive, and reboot. Next you should choose boot from CDROM, and start the computer with CDROM support. Next, go to the letter of the CDROM (Probably D, D: ), then type CD win98, then type format C: ). This should start the format process. After it's done, reboot the computer, choose start from CDROM, then start the install program. After it's all through install your drivers and programs, and you should be as good as new.

Old 01-30-03, 08:20 AM
J
before you go through all the trouble of loosing your files and reinstalling everything, what is your exact problem???

I can tune up almost any win. 98 computer to the point of where it runs good.

Run a defrag on your harddrive.

What causes most errors are too many programs auto loading on start up. Go to run, then type msconfig, then hit start up and remove everything that is non essential.

clean your temp folders, remove unwanted programs. Get adaware from download.com and remove all that spyware $hit. you get the idea. By the time you are done with this, your computer will run 99%

My friends parents just replaced their 700 mghz pent 3 because it crashed too many times on them. While it is outdated by todays standards, it is still more than what they need. They gave it to their son ( my buddy) ran my "10 minute" tune up, and it was good as new.

Old 01-30-03, 08:30 AM
I have never done a reformat on the notebook since in the swap between the original purchase by BIL, and the two weeks before he asked us to buy it from, it the restore disk was lost. ( A month before they found the floppy drive and cable) I have created a bootable floppy, and copied the win98 files to a cd.

I found out last night what was slowing me down so much even after cleanup and defrag: a download accelerator. Once I removed it, wasn't faster with it anyway, now I'm zooming right along online, even though I'm on dialup.

I did the resintall the other day simply because I didn't backup my registry before I start goofing around with some settings. I know what I did now, but got frustrated and couldn't find a previous registry on the system that would restore. Live and learn.

Kay

Old 01-30-03, 11:12 AM
Smile Have a Heart, give it a new start.

1st post:
I've tried to fix it by putting the windows 98 cd, but it has prolems with the version. I would also like to know if by doing this, all the drivers would be deleated?

I also can chase spooks, and error codes, reinstall 1 .sys file at a time. Make windows run good, but no where near as good as a Format & clean reinstall. I've been there to often, where it runs good, doesen't last very long, untill the next little problem comes along.

Why not just help them Format, do a clean reinstall & then make a few suggestions as to AdAware & the Startup programs that stay on & those get shut off. It is clear in the question that it all Greek to them now. What about Spyware, & windows super secret files, that need a program named Spyder to remove that bloat, in that PCs deep down insides.

We are not all at the same level here & we can help some people more, by helping them start fresh & point them to the ways that will keep their OS running cleaner & longer from there.

Daniel_2332 You make your mind up for yourself. I was once afraid & did not know how, to format & reinstall my OS. Yes you will have to go get windows updates again, & reinstall your drivers. It will run like new, if you do however.

But believe me I have learned one thing through countless hours of putting bandaids over every problem that poped up on my OS.

If you want to just turn it on & get to work as most of us do. You must format, gets rid of everything that's bugging you. Reinstall your OS & all software that you are using & not software you don't, just because you have the CD. Your PC will run well and you will be less stressed for it, if you do a clean reinstall.

One last comment & I'm gone. I got Printmaster12 for my Wife last week. After I installed it, I went to test it out. A Popup said that this file could not find this file a .dll file, so it can't start.

I said:
Uninstall & reinstall. Everything is working just fine now. See how that worked? It could have missed a file on the first install, & got it right when I reinstalled the program. Who knows & who cares it works great now.

Good luck to you on your choice. We all have to learn how to make these confounded machines keep working the best that we can.

Marturo

Old 01-30-03, 04:34 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I want everyone to notice that in marturo's problem with Printmaster, he did NOT have to reformat and reinstall his OS. That is NOT the solution to every problem. As a matter of fact it's not the solution to 95% of problems. Again, back to the car, you don't throw away a 6 month old car just because the tires are bad, you get new tires. You change the oil frequently, you don't put bad gas in the gas tank, you take care of it. Same with a computer. Take care of it and it will run like a charm, even if you don't reformat and reinstall every other month. It's not as easy as everyone makes it sound. Sure, the reformat is easy, maybe even the reinstall. But then what? You have to re-download all your programs (that can take, literally, days if you don't have broadband access.) You have to recopy all your files. You have to download all the updates (this can really suck if you've installed any service packs.) Everyone likes the way a new computer runs, but, personally, I like the way my computer is. I like the programs I have installed. I like the settings I have. I don't want to have to start from scratch again. That's just absolutely ridiculous.

Old 01-30-03, 06:28 PM
tae
side note

I actually agree with SafeWatch,format and install is not a cure all....ok yes it is, but it is not necessary alot of the time, but:
*But then what? You have to re-download all your programs(that can take, literally, days if you don't have broadband access.)**
Any programs you like you should make backups of, either on a cd, or on a seperate partition, or something, just in case. Hey,gotta go to the store to get that oil and spark plugs and tires

***You have to recopy all your files. ***Hey, you gotta install them plugs and drain and install that oil and have them tires mounted and put on

***You have to download all the updates (this can really suck if you've installed any service packs.) ***Check into a process called slipstreaming. when i install my os(like win2k for ex.) service pack 3 is already integrated. only have to install a couple hotfixes

Can we maybe use a different analagy? to me, the "car" would be whole computer. the motor would be the cpu,the tranny is the hard drive,carbs are the memory...etc. and even with the best maintenance, sooner or later the motor,tranny,rear end,brakes will need rebuilding/replacing.
Or,could we all agree to disagree and say...if you want to format and install,here are the steps.If you would rather hunt the problem down, then lets try this instead? seems more helpful

Old 01-30-03, 06:52 PM
S
Yeah, I know, I hate the car analogy too, but what else can you compare it to?

Slipstreaming works great, but what about novices that know nothing about it?

Making backups of progs doesn't work either, unless you backup the setup files and reinstall that way. If you just have a backup of the program, you're not going to have the registry settings, DLL's, etc when you recopy it.

Like I've told several people through PM's, I'm just sick of seeing the "reformat/reinstall" as the solution to everyone's problems. Go back and look at the last few posts for the past few weeks, in almost every one of them, someone suggests reformat/reinstall as a solution.

Old 01-30-03, 08:32 PM
Smile Ready to hunt?

Let's have all your info you can give us & hunt them down! There is a reward for doing that, unlike a Format & Reinstall. As tae has told you already fixing a few problems, replacing a few files & you won't have to rebuild everything.

What say you give us all you can? What brand PC is win 98 on? Is your OS CD the real Win 98, or the PC Mfr win 98?

When did this all begin & how bad is it now?

What are some or the messages you have been getting?

What happens when you put the OS, CD in?

What do you mean about the the version?

How long since your OS has been installed on this PC?

Have you checked to see if you have any Hardware conflicts?

Are you willing to try and fix the problems one by one?

We are here right now ready to tell you what to do, to try and fix your PC. Shall we go Hunting Daniel ?

Old 01-31-03, 05:41 AM
A note on reinstalling and updating: please don't do as I do, please do as I say LOL. When updating, right before you click on the I Agree button for the installation of the update, disable your virus protection! It will cause problems. I've learned the hard way, still forget and then, hello...errors. Also when reinstalling, disable the virus protection and any other programs that you don't need while doing this. It too, can cause an incomplete install or 'buggy' one.

**Another note, shortly after reading these posts my computer wouldn't boot back up. I got an error that I had a wrong disk in my computer. No disk, just a hard drive . Thank you all for your information here, and in other posts. I used my handy dandy floppy (bootable) followed the help file instructions and am up and running again. A little different procedure for this notebook since I don't have both a floppy and cdrom at the same time.

Daniel: they can help you get your system straightened out the 'easiest' way in that although a reformat seems the easiest, it isn't. Trying to get your software reinstalled and the computer reconfigured, not to mention all the files you end up losing even though you thought you backed up everything important (and forgot a thing or 3) isn't the easiest route afterall. Learning what causes these problems and how to fix them now can save you so much time and headaches in the future you will be glad that you took the time to learn how today.

my 2 cents worth

Kay

Old 02-02-03, 05:45 PM
Reformat???? Bah, Humbug !!

Why bother reformatting, then reinstalling OS and ALL programs?

If you have a burner - most modern pcs do - why not just get your pc to a stable, optimum state, where you are happy that everything works, then GHOST an image to one or more CDs? Dead easy, fast, reliable and cheap enough to repeat after any major change. I use a set of 2 CD-RW disks that I reburn after any but the smallest change.

If you ever get to a situation where it hangs frequently, unexplained errors - and lets face it, if you run ANY version of Windows, you WILL, just bung the old CD in, boot with a floppy with Ghost, then restore the whole lot. Everything, Registry, programs, right back as it was when you did the image. The real beauty of ghost is that it actually reformats ON THE FLY! So any partitioning/formatting/bad sector errors are fixed too.

And no, I'm don't work for Nortons !

Old 02-02-03, 06:39 PM
S
That's a good idea ejones. Think I might start doing that. Basically it's the same as a back-up, only it's an image and not just a copy of files. You use Norton Ghost to back-up too? Then Ghost to reinstall or recopy or whatever?

If you can get it all on 1 disk, you could schedule it to burn automatically. But it would be hard to get 20g on 1 disk, even with compression. BTW, how much are you putting on 2 disk? Do you use any compression? Can you with image files?

Old 02-02-03, 07:23 PM
"If you can get it all on 1 disk, you could schedule it to burn automatically. But it would be hard to get 20g on 1 disk, even with compression. BTW, how much are you putting on 2 disk? Do you use any compression? Can you with image files?"

My C: drive has approx. 1.4Gb uncompressed. Ghost compresses this to around 800Mb, hence 2 CDs. And yes, you can select compression on or off when ghosting.

I also use one CD-RW for approx. weekly backups. As I always have a reliable ghost image of everything, I just do a simple, copy-paste of all my data folders - usually less than 5Mb. Don't even bother overwriting the CD-RW - just paste all the data to a folder with the current date, then append it to the CD. I calculate it will take nearly 3 years before I need to cleanup the CD!

Come to think of it, how many commercial backup systems out there offer 3 years of backups, all on-line?

Old 02-02-03, 11:37 PM
S
You know, most CD-RW backup programs just use a simple ZIP file to store the data with compression, most don't even go that far, they just copy all the files to CD. You could probably make a lot of money just writing a Ghost-type program and call it Image Backup or something like that.

Well, it would seem as though I only have 10Gb of data that needs backup. So I figure, with compression, about 1Gb per disk, give or take. So about 10 disks. Hmm, that could take all night.

Old 02-02-03, 11:48 PM
10Gb of data that CHANGES REGULARLY?? Really? Because if it doesn't change, you only have to back it up once.

In my previous post I was being a little simplistic. you need to list your files for backup by change date order. Then only backup the ones that have changed since your last backup. It's called incremental backup.

Old 02-02-03, 11:52 PM
S
Yeah, but the idea is to make an image that you can completely restore from, that would be about 10Gb for me. Sure, I can do incrementals after that, but initially you want to backup everything, right?

Old 02-03-03, 04:00 PM
By the way, the latest ghost version allows restores via a Windows Explorer-like interface. You can pick the files/folders to restore, so your not stuck with restoring the whole shebang just for one file.

Aw come on, Nortons.......Gimme a job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: