missing e drive

Old 02-02-03, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry missing e drive

guys,my son has a compac presario(sorry all i know).his cd-rom was working,but he bought a cd rom burner.his old cd rom has 1 plug in the back,so we took it out and hooked up his burner.we rebooted and it never showed no new hardware found(like mine showed when i replaced mine).mmmm the light blinks and you can here it running but when you go to play,it shows e drive missing.mmm??? so i took it out and replaced the one that he had and now it shows no e drive.we;ve done looked in my computer and have thought about using his recovery disc but that is also a c.d. can someone help me find it.it never showed uninstalled and i've also looked in the recycle bin so now i'm lost,i need help cause now it's dad's fault.!! :-(

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-03, 11:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you're missing the IDE cable (the flat ribbon cable that attaches the CD to the computer Mother Board.) If you only connected 1 cable and you see lights, then you connected the power cable. My guess is when you pulled the old CD out, you pulled the IDE cable out of the back of it (by accident, of course, no big deal.)

Couple of things you need to make note of when reconnecting it:
1. The Red or dotted side of the cable is Pin 1, you must connect this to Pin 1 on the CD (if you don't know, look at the CD itself and see if it tells you, if not, look at the manual - usually it's the pin closest to the power plug, but not always - check just to make sure.)

2. Make sure you have the jumper on the CD set the same as the jumper on the old CD - this may be a different position, but as long as you have the Master/Slave/etc. the same as the old drive, you will be ok (in other words, if the old drive is the Master drive, the new CD also needs to be the Master drive.)

If you do both of those things correctly, then you should see the drive listed in My Computer.

I think to go to CMOS on a Compaq you have to press F1, but I may be mistaken about that. CMOS will tell you if the hardware is being detected by the computer, but not Windows. However, I don't think you'll need CMOS anyway.

Let us know how it goes or if you have anymore questions.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-03, 07:31 AM
no ide cable??

his drive slides out in a slot.i do not remember seeing no ide cable at all.all i pulled off was the power supply.and all he had was a cd rom and a floppy drive so he wouldn't have no use for it anyways would he?? you tell me you know more about these things then i do.anymore suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Old 02-03-03, 08:42 AM
Exactly which model of Presario are we talking about? All CD's have to have some sort of cable for IDE connection, this is what sends the data back and forth to the computer. It may be that it's all the way in the back or fell down in the case when you pulled the old one out. Of course, I am assuming we're talking about a desktop, if it's a laptop, that's a whole different story.

Old 02-03-03, 04:57 PM
If the original CD-R worked, then it *MUST* have had an IDE connection.

When you pulled out the old drive, you *MUST* have accidentally pulled out this cable. Look behind the CD slot. The cable *MUST* be there somewhere. Plug it into the new drive. Finished.

(Do all this with the power OFF of course).

Old 02-03-03, 10:13 PM
Talking uh oh

well,well,well.after finally knocking out ribbits and ribbits,i finally got the side cover off the tower.oh it's so nice to have an open view,then not to nice to discover what i found.!!! duh... ide cable.dooooooooooooooo. can we talk dummies here??? oh well thanks again and this site has never felled me yet.at least i have nascar to look forward to this weekend and i don't feel so much like a dummy. thanks again.!!!!

Old 02-03-03, 11:13 PM
Do I understand you right? you actually removed RIVETS to get the case open?

Tell me you are joking.........Please.........(Sob)

Old 02-04-03, 09:02 AM
Yeah, not to make you feel like more of a dummy, but you probably only have to remove 2, maybe 4 screws to get the cover off. Next time look on the back towards the side (or both sides maybe) and see if there are a couple of screws holding the sides on, take em out and the side (or maybe all three sides together - sides and top) will slide off towards the back.

Of course, the important thing is that you got it