Xp Shutdown

Old 02-04-03, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Xp Shutdown

i have winxp, and recently my cpu has turned itself off for no reason several times. my sister in law a wabmaster at local university says it is the xp doing it. i was thinking power supply. i have hooked up my old computer in its place running win98 just fine. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be several things. With XP you can bypass the BSOD, so that the computer just shuts down, or restarts, when you have fatal errors. Usually the dump memory to file is enabled, but can also be disabled. Another cause could be heat related. Try running <a href="http://www.hmonitor.com/">HMonitor</a> to see if your computer is overheating.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-03, 05:06 PM
tae
How often does this happen? Every 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or just random? Does it do this even while you are doing something on the computer?

Old 02-08-03, 03:36 PM
xp shutdown

very random, always when online, the only time i notice it anyway, is there some info out there about this problem with xp?

Old 02-08-03, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not necessarily a problem with XP, it could be a problem with something else on the computer. You may want to start by reinstalling XP, but I don't think it's necessary.

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery click Settings, make sure the "Write an event..." box is checked. You will be able to check upon restart to see what has happened.