E-mail attachments

Old 02-12-03, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
E-mail attachments

Whenever somebody sends me an e-mail image or picture i usually can't get it.I'll click on it and a open attachment warning pops up, then i click open it ,and my Windows media player comes on and says" cannot playback the file the format is not supported" what do i need to do to see these images? I have Windows ME and outlook express

Last edited by romod; 02-12-03 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 03:52 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Sounds like your media player is set to use some file types it shouldn't.

I don't know how much you know about the computer so Im am suggesting the simplest way to try to get it to work, maybe

Click Start,
Click Run,
type C:\
Click OK.

I am not sure what the menu for this is in ME.
Look on the menu at the top for Folder Options,
When you find it go in to it.

Then go in to File Types
Find the extentions for JPG and GIF.
Delete these.

Now go back to your email and try to open them.
You should get a message asking what to open them in.
Choose your Internet Explorer.

I am assuming that the files you are attempting to open are normal picture files (jpg and gif), if they are wma files then opening them in media player is right and you may need to download the newest version of that.

Old 02-12-03, 08:05 PM
I tried deleting them but it didn't work.I still get the same stuff when i open the warning attachment, media player pops on and after a short pause tells me "format cannot be supported" for some reason i'm not getting this prompt to click on explorer.

Old 02-12-03, 08:54 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
What type of files are opening? If they are wma or avi files, or any supported video file, they should be using media player.
If that is the case you should update media player.

Otherwise, it would have to be set in the file types to open that file type using media player.
Be sure your deleting all jpg and gif entries.

If this doesnt work, then try these,
either install a graphic program that will take control of that file type or download TweakUI and in the Repair are run the Repair Associations.

But like I said, if it still opens in media player then that file type must still be associated with it in "File Types".

Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 02-12-03, 09:15 PM
It seems like i used to be able to get these files in my e-mail.Maybe i do need need to update my media player. How do you do that and is it free?

Old 02-12-03, 09:30 PM
If you are trying to open a picture file, then you can first save the file on your desktop or in the my documents folder and then go to the saved file and hold the shift key while you right click the file. It should give you the option to open with. click that, and choose the program you want it to actually open the picture (I use IE to view my pictures). Also, make sure the check box for always use this program to open this file type is checked so from now on it will associate the program with that type file. You will need to do this for each picture file extension.

As far as the other files (music and video type) you may need to go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en and download the newest version of Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps. Please post back and let us know how it goes.

Kay

Old 02-12-03, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the replys! Well that didn't work either but by doing all of that i did find out that it is a "EML" file if that helps.I guess my next step is to download the newest version and if that doesn't work i'll contact my tech support and hopefully i will let all you know what the problem was.

Old 02-12-03, 10:44 PM
tae
Outlook should restrict access, but, you can change it.....

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 287887
OL2002: Outlook Does Not Restrict Access to EML Attachments
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Outlook 2002

This article was previously published under Q287887
SYMPTOMSWhen you open an attachment with an .eml file extension, VBScripts may execute if you run the attachment in Outlook 2002.
CAUSE: This problem can occur because the Active Scripting option is enabled in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
RESOLUTION: To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods to prevent .eml attachments from executing scripts:
Modify the list of file attachments to include .eml files according to the following Knowledge Base article:http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290497
290497 OL2002: Cannot Access Attachments

Disable the Active Scripting option for the Restricted sites zone.
STATUS: Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
MORE INFORMATION: Files that have an .eml extension are run by Microsoft Outlook Express, which shares security settings with Internet Explorer. For additional information about how to disable Active Scripting, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;192846
192846 OLEXP: How to Disable Active Scripting in Outlook Express

Last Reviewed: 3/8/2002
Keywords: kbbug KB287887

Old 02-13-03, 05:23 AM
Am glad that you found the extension name. It seems that any tidbit of information given can be what helps find the cause and then the 'cure'.

Let us know what you find out.

Kay