Win98 to Windows XP Pro

Old 02-18-03, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Win98 to Windows XP Pro

New question:
My Windoze98 grinded to a halt the other day - well it could have been my 10G hard drive? Anyway, I now have a new 60G hd and XP pro. My old drive is still operating, for the time being . Where can I find my Outlook Express 'contacts' to import them over to my new Outlook Express? Is there a separate folder or are there file extensions I can move?
thx,
fred

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-03, 11:37 AM
E
edj
Visiting Guest
The "contacts" for Outlook Express are usually contained in a "Windows Address Book" folder. The file will have the extension .wab.
You can search for all files on your hard drive with the format *.wab. (you may have more than one, and you want to amke sure you copy over the correct one to your new hard drive.)
This file may be located in a number of different loacations, depending on the version of Outlook Express and Windows you are using. On my computer (WIN98SE) it is located in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Edj

Old 02-18-03, 12:25 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure where they are in Win98, but that sounds right. As for just moving them, you don't want to do that. You'll want to Import from within OE. If you have different versions installed or something like that, you may have problems if you just copied the files over. If you Import, you'll know it's compatible and you'll know you got them all.

Old 02-18-03, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys,

I did find them late last night in (windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book). I actaully found the location from another post which Safewatch and Kay had posted on.
I was able to copy and paste and all went well - just had to OK (confirm) each one as I pasted. I guess I'll be making alot of trips between these two drives till I get all I want/need.
thx again,
fred