need more space

Old 02-19-03, 12:15 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
need more space

i'm using windows 2000 professional windows me my computer tells me i have only 42% free i need to know how i can clea it up to get more space it really runs slow people tell me it needs to be a least 85% free i have 30g hard drive 256mb ram 56k modem i defragment and keep temp internet files and cookies cleaned out what else can i try??.............thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-03, 12:47 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, let's do some math: (estimates)

If you have 30 Gb HD and you "only" have 42% free, that's about 12.6 Gb free (estimated). Personally, I'd be happy if I had 12Gb of my 30Gb HD free.

Now, if you free up 85% of your HD, that would be 25.5Gb free. That's only 4.5Gb used space. Not much.

My point - whoever's telling you to free up 85% of your HD has no clue what they're talking about.

Now, if you want some suggestions on speeding up your computer, and possibly freeing up some of that 17.5Gb you have in use, take a look:
<ul>
<li>Empty temporary folders. (ie: the Temporary Internet Folder, the Windows Temp Folder, etc.)
<li>Make sure you have emptied the Recycle Bin.
<li>Use Disk Cleanup to free some old files. (takes care of the above mentioned options too.)
<li>Stop running all those startup programs that eat up RAM (everybody does it.) Use MSCONFIG to do this.
<li>Run Ad-Aware or Spybot or both to get rid of spy programs and ad programs that eat up HD space.
<li><font color='red'>*Warning - be very careful with this one*</font> Change the Virtual Memory configuration in Control Panel/System/Advanced to double or more the amount of RAM you have for both Min and Max.
</ul>

Try that for now. I'm sure someone else will make some good suggestions too.

Now, as for the 85%, my guess is that they are talking about system resources, and not free HD space. You do the above steps and you won't have to worry about system resources.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-03, 02:09 PM
sniper3270
Visiting Guest
to safewatch

i went back into systems and looked agian this is what my computer tells me .....capacity 27.9gb ........used 3.06gb.......free 24.9gb........yea i thought that 85%was a bit much but i didn't know i'll try the suggestions........thanks ..........p.s. the people at hp tech support told me that it needed to be a least 85% ..............i went into virtual memory i have no min....max is 25257 do i need to set min. if i do what would it be.....

Last edited by sniper3270; 02-19-03 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-19-03, 07:45 PM
Brandon,
Correct me if I'm wrong. But generally speaking, when your talking about system resources - 42% free, 85% free, etc. - does not that refer to available RAM and not available hard drive space?
Programs running in the background (lower right corner of monitor) will chew up alot of RAM and slow a confuser to a crawl.

fred

Old 02-19-03, 07:53 PM
S
Yep, you're exactly right Fred. I should have explained that, but that was actually my point. You have 3 resources: System Resources, User Resources, and GUI Resources. I believe HP may have been referring to these resources. But then again, it is HP Tech Support, so they very well could have been referring to HD free space

Old 02-19-03, 08:18 PM
Hmmm, I've use whole whopping 1.5G of my 4G HDD. I think the only time I have ever come close to filling it was when I homeschooled and had all those computer programs on here.

I guess when I get into learning graphics design is when I will need a MUCH larger HDD?

Also, I let windoze set the virtual memory. I haven't fully understood how to change this, or what damage I can cause if I do. Can you elaborate on it?

I run Win98se
400 Mhz
Celeron Processor
and maxed out at 128M of ram

She's old, she's slow, and she's weak...but she's all I got.

Kay

Old 02-19-03, 09:03 PM
Thanks Brandon,
I lost (can't find) 'system resources used' with Win XP pro. I'm used to looking in Control panel, and system(win98). Must be somewhere else.

Hi Kay.
Time for a new Hard drive?? Last week I had Windoze 98 and a 10 Gig hard drive filled about 82%. Friday I bought a new hard drive. I was expecting to pay 99 bucks for a 40 Gig. But I splurged. Spent $119, and now I have a 60 Gig HD and Win XP.
And fortunately, my old 10G HD is riding piggyback on my new one, don't know exactly how - but all my old files are still intact!!
I did all this cuz Win98 sorta died on me(safe mode only). And it might have taken a week or so to defrag the old drive. So I started fresh!!
Hopefully, my next Personal Confuser will be "Instant On". In my dreams maybe!!!

fred

Old 02-19-03, 09:23 PM
S
Kay, in 98 it's Control Panel, System, Performance. Then click Virtual Memory Button. Since you only have 4Gb, I wouldn't set it more than 256kb for VM. Just click Manage my own, then set Min and Max to 256. Then restart. This keeps Windows from constantly changing the size of the swap file causing system slow-downs. You probably won't see a huge increase in speed, but trust me, it helps.

Fred, Win XP no longer uses Resource Meter, there are so many differences in the way 2k and XP use resources, Resource Meter is no longer available. I read at one time exactly what the differences were and such, but I fail to recall right now. Maybe someone else will know.

Old 02-19-03, 10:43 PM
tae
In XP Home if you do Ctrl+Alt+Del and then click on performance, you get CPU usage and memory info.

(There are some freeware/shareware resource meters available for download. just do a search.)

the depletion of a small chunk of memory known as the system resource pool can seriously crash Windows 98 or Me. Since the size of the system resource pool is hard coded into the operating system Kernel, it can never change, no matter how much RAM you have in your Windows 98 or Me system.

In contrast, the NT Kernel--and subsequently, the Windows XP Home Edition operating system--doesn't have any sort of limitation on the system resource pool. This equates to better performance and increased stability.

Windows and its applications use three resources--System, User, and the graphics display interface, or GDI--to keep track of data they need in order to run. (These resources are separate from the RAM and disk space your PC uses to hold applications and data.) In Windows 3.x and 95, each resource was limited to 64K of RAM and filled up quickly. Microsoft changed resource management in Windows 98, 98 SE, and Me so that the User and System resources could use as much available system RAM as needed. Unfortunately, the GDI resource pool stayed at 64K for undisclosed technical reasons. When this pool is used up, you'll begin to see garbled graphics and blacked-out icons.

Unfortunately, many programs and Windows' own Resource Meter didn't get a corresponding upgrade when Microsoft improved resource management. That means these apps can't accurately measure available resources, so even if you have plenty of system RAM available, you may still get "insufficient memory" errors.

To overcome such system memory problems and get smoother multitasking and program crash protection at the same time, consider upgrading to Windows XP or 2000. Memory and resource management are far more efficient under 2000 and XP, thanks to their single, 32-bit memory scheme. (Older versions of Windows had to maintain different 16-bit (DOS) and 32-bit memory support and the old resources pools.) In fact, memory management is so good that XP doesn't come with a Resource Meter or specific resource measurement tools.