cable modem stuff

Old 02-28-03, 06:42 PM
harleyike
Visiting Guest
cable modem stuff

I just got a cable modem installed on my older (win98se) computer. The installer explained how to use a wireless router to get the internet over to my newer (win xp) computer. The questions i have are:

1. what does 11mpbs mean? what should i look for as far as info on the box that can help me chose the right one.

2. Is a wireless usb adapter better than a pci wireless adapter?

3. Should all the components be from the same company?

4. What are the common roadblocks may i run into trying to get two computers to be able to use the high speed modem?

Thanks for all the help.
Ike

Old 02-28-03, 08:18 PM
BSB
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi.

1. 11Mpbs = 11 mega bits per second. 10/100 Mbs is the standard at the moment. I take it that is isp cable speed or the wireless set up you are looking at? The new stuff is the giga bit per second, but a home user will have no need for that for some time to go.

2. In my experience and from what I have heard pci is faster and better then usb. Not sure about usb 2.0 have not compared the white papers on both.

3. Yes. you may run into compatabilty issues if you mix linksys with belkin, or any other brand mixing.

4. Configuration and setup. Miss a step or skip it and you could spend hours trying to figure out what is messed up. unlike some instructions, router instructions are pretty easy to follow and understand. Machine speeds will effect your internet speeds. My 1Ghz athlon and 1.6 p4 are pretty much the same, but my 500 Mhz amd k-2 is only 1/2 as fast downloading and uploading.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-03, 09:06 PM
C
11 mega bit per second is the rated speed of current wireless equipment. On its best day, your download speed won't be near that fast.

Wireless is more convenient, but creates some security concerns that don't exist over cat5 cable. For the time being you may be better off with PCI rather than USB. Win98 may come up a bit short in that department. Just an opinion. I use PCI cat5 here.

All components from the same company. I would say yes just to make compatability issues less likely.

With the router and two wireless cards, one for each computer, you should be in business. Setting all this up is straightforward. The instructions with the router will help. Follow the help files in Windows to set up the individual computers. Of course, you can come back here.

The roadblocks will consist mainly of having the settings correct. It is relatively straightforward and it will either work or not.

Old 03-01-03, 06:58 AM
harleyike
Visiting Guest
good help

Thanks guys,
It does seem that it will be straight forward and easy to set up. I have one more question:
What about a firewall? Will it be easy for someone to get inside the computers with a wireless modem system?

Thanks again,
Ike

Old 03-01-03, 07:40 AM
harleyike
Visiting Guest
more cable modem stuff

If it is a good idea to use all the same company stuff for wireless, which company is the best as far as ease of use, price, security and all the other good to know info? I need to buy all the stuff to connect two PC's wireless, from the modem which will be 12 feet away for one PC, and 60 feet away from the other. I need a PCI card for one and i can use a USB adapter for the other one.

Ready to take the plunge upon good reccomendations.

Thanks
Ike

Old 03-01-03, 08:21 AM
T
I've always had good luck with Lynksys products. They are also pretty inexpensive.

Old 03-01-03, 02:19 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have to agree with trinitro on the Linksys, however they are not always inexpensive. Check around, don't just buy the first one you see, you can find them on sale a lot of times. Check www.techbargains.com for a sale or rebate (they listed a Linksys wireless Router the other day for $80 or so, I think it was at Best Buy.) If you can't find a low-price Linksys, try D-Link (very comparable and usually less-expensive) NetGear (I don't have personal experience with these products) 3Com will be higher.

If you're going to use USB for one PC, you may as well use USB for both, unless PCI is just a lot less-expensive. You will only get speeds as high as your slowest component anyway. Modems don't run anywhere near 11Mbps anyway (and won't anytime soon), so you don't have to worry about decreased internet speed just because USB is only 11Mbps instead of 100Mbps (unless you are networking also, but again, only as fast as slowest connection.)

Personally, if it were me, I would use wired anyway, just for the price factor. Wireless NIC's $50+ (I'm guessing - don't use them, wouldn't know.) Wired NIC's ~$20 or less (if you find them onsale.) USB wired NIC's ~$30 (if you find them on sale, maybe less.)

The nice thing about USB, you can always just unplug it and plug in another computer if you want to.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-03, 02:29 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To answer your question about the firewall. Most routers come with a built-in firewall, but extra protection is always nice, try Sygate Personal Firewall or Zone-Alarm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: