Renamed Windows

Old 03-04-03, 08:27 AM
Rae
Unhappy Renamed Windows

I renamed my 'Windows' folder to A-Windows to make it appear first in my C-Drive. Oooppps! Now the CPU can not find it to open
any program. It automatically starts up in safe mode and goes to the C prompt in Dos. I can bring up the directory (C:\dir) list but not sure what to enter to reconfigure. Should I leave this to the professionals...or...could your instructions help me thru this? Thanks everyone! Rae

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-03, 10:10 AM
Hello Rae and welcome to the computer forums!

We can help you a little better if you'll let us know what version of Windows that you are using so we can go from there.

If you are working with Windows 95 or 98 you can work from the dos prompt and type

ren c:\A-Windows c:\Windows

if that gives you the response of 'bad command' or 'file not found' then try the command as
rename c:\A-Windows c:\Windows

Its been awhile since I've worked with the DOS commands so that may not be what it is today. Do post what your operating system is since someone else may know exactly what to do.

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 10:42 AM
Argh!

I just tested Kay's suggestion- it turns out the REN and RENAME commands will work on filenames only, not directories. (But still, a good thought, Kay!)

Then I brought up a summary of DOS commands I found on the web, and there was nothing in it about renaming a directory.

Somebody check me on this: since Rae is able to boot, could this be a matter of copying the contents of c:\a-windows into a new directory called c:\windows?

Old 03-04-03, 10:44 AM
Thanks CycleZen! Was shooting blind there since I've installed Linux on my computer and couldn't test the commands myself.

I'll research some and see what I can't find online.

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 10:56 AM
Will this work?

While at the DOS prompt, change to the newly named directory of A-Windows via the command

cd A-Windows

Then typing the command

Win

Would that go ahead and run the windows program from within her A-Windows folder, bringing up the shell for a chance to name the folder Windows again?

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Running windows from that directory won't work, all the system settings are set for the Windows directory, so device drivers and other files won't be found.

Sounds like you'll have to make the directory Windows (with "md" command - "md Windows" at the C: prompt.) Then Xcopy all files and directories from A-Windows to Windows ("xcopy c:\A-Wind~1 C:\Windows /e /h /k".) This may or may not work, because of DOS filename limits. If I remember correctly, DOS will truncate all filenames to be 8 characters (hence the Wind~1 command.) But, you may get lucky with Xcopy and it won't change filenames, like I say I don't remember. Be sure to use the e-h-k parameters also. If that doesn't work, reinstall Windows and see what happens. It should recognize a copy of Windows in your A-Windows directory and I believe it will even reinstall to that directory.

Be honest with you, I'm guessing, never had this problem before

Good luck!

Old 03-04-03, 11:55 AM
What do the e h and k parameters do? I feel bad today since I gave all my DOS books to the library. Silly me decided that I wouldn't need them anymore.

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 12:27 PM
Umm, let me see if I can remember now, /e = copies empty directories, /h = copies hidden and system files, /k = copies attributes.

All very important in the Windows folder, for obvious reasons.

Old 03-04-03, 01:33 PM
Rae
Thanks Everybody for your quick response. Sorry about my hurried earlier post. I am writing this from a work computer that does not have a printer hooked to it. So unless I can print this out and carry it home, it might be hard to follow your info. I run Windows 95. I called my computer store people, yesterday, and they said it shouldn't be a problem to correct for about $20.00. But just for fun, I'd love to correct it myself with your help if possible. It did warn me at a menu window that it may change the configuration. Thanks, Rae

Old 03-04-03, 01:46 PM
Rae,

Write it down so you'll have it. I have contacted a friend of mine about your problem and hopefully will have a response before you leave from work. If not, please try these things but don't get too frustrated! I'm one to talk LOL.

I'll post what they recommend, and please post back if it resolves the problem and what you did to fix it. That way we will all know how to deal with it.

...and good luck!

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 03:08 PM
"I just tested Kay's suggestion- it turns out the REN and RENAME commands will work on filenames only, not directories. (But still, a good thought, Kay!)"

I don't know what you are typing, but you are doing something wrong. Kay is correct. Rename DOES work for directories. Just make sure your default directory is C:\ - then "rename a-windows windows" will do the trick. I suspect your default directory is wrong?

Old 03-04-03, 03:16 PM
Yep, ejones is right, it does work for renaming directories. Even though /? only mentions filenames.

However, ejones is wrong about one thing, you won't be able to rename the directory using "ren a-windows windows", DOS does not recognize more than 8 character file/directory names. You'll have to use "ren a-wind~1 windows", and again, you may still have truncated filenames. In which case, you'll have to reinstall Windows.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-03, 05:22 PM
What version of DOS is used in Windows guys? I (as stated above) only have linux on my system so I'm not sure what version runs on them.

Anway, there has to be a way to do this since the shop was going to charge them a quick $20 for the rename or whatever fix they had in mind.

Kay

Old 03-04-03, 05:33 PM
Jesterbob
Visiting Guest
Try this

The move command

Moves files and renames files and directories.

To move one or more files: MOVE [/Y | /-Y] [drive:][path]filename1[,...] destination To rename a directory: MOVE [/Y | /-Y] [drive:][path]dirname1 dirname2 [drive:][path] filename1 Specifies the location and name of the file or files you want to move. Destination Specifies the new location of the file. Destination can consist of a drive letter and colon, a directory name, or a combination.

If you are moving only one file, you can also include a filename if you want to rename the file when you move it. [drive:][path]dirname1 Specifies the directory you want to rename. dirname2 Specifies the new name of the directory. /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm creation of a directory or overwriting of the destination. /-Y Causes prompting to confirm creation of a directory or overwriting of the destination. The switch /Y may be present in the COPYCMD environment variable. This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.

EXAMPLES

move c:\a-windows\*.* c:\windows - This would move the files of c:\a-windows to the windows directory in root.

The move command is built into the command.com which means this command is an internal command and is available in

MS-DOS 6.0 and above
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT
Windows 2000

Old 03-04-03, 05:50 PM
Renaming with ren or rename to change the file folder name from a-windows to windows by using a-wind~1 will rename the file folder. It will not rename the files in the folder, so there should not be a problem with truncated file names.

For the move command the same shortened file name convention applies. DOS recognizes 8.3 file naming stucture.

Old 03-04-03, 05:55 PM
That's a good point, Chris. I hadn't thought of that. So the Rename command would have to be used, otherwise filenames will be changed.

Old 03-04-03, 05:59 PM
Solutions:
1. Rename the diretory with the MOVE command

ie: MOVE "C:\A-Windows" C:\WINDOWS
location of MOVE.exe - c:\windows\command

You would enter:
C:\"A-Windows"\command\move C:\"A-Windows" C:\WINDOWS

Manic?
2. Edit MSDOS.SYS to point to the new [drive] and/or directory, edit the PATH environment variable - via
C:\autoexec.bat - to point to the new directory, then edit every path in the Registry that used Windows as a base.
Otherwise your programs won't run.

Old 03-04-03, 06:07 PM
I knew that there had to be a way to do this since it wouldn't cost that much to have someone else do it for them.

Kay

Old 03-05-03, 12:54 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
Win95's DOS is reported on my machine as version 7. Virtually the same as 6.2.

DOS resides in the Command subdirectory of Windows. If a DOS executable isn't working, it's probably because the full path needs to be typed in the command line.

c:\a-wind~1\command\move (etcetera)

Then again, rename is part of MSDOS.SYS, is it not?

Old 03-05-03, 06:11 AM
{{2000}} thought you had riden off into the sunset and left us to our own devices. Glad to see you here!

So the rename command isn't good to use since it would rename the subdirectories and files? If you move the folders/files does it just stick the A-Windows inside a folder named Windows or essentially rename the A-Windows folder back to Windows? Does that have to do with moving connecting things to Windows registry?

I'm confused! Sorry, seems to be a normal state of mind for me lately. I have Linux brain today.

Kay

Old 03-05-03, 10:16 AM
Actually, Kay, as Chris pointed-out. The move command should NOT be used. Move will rename all files and directories to an 8.3 structure. Rename is the proper way to do it. Rename would just rename the one directory and everything should be back in order.

Old 03-05-03, 04:29 PM
Thanks Brandon,

Like I said, I got a little confused there. Wonder how it went for Rae? Haven't heard back. Maybe it worked out okay.

Kay

Old 03-05-03, 05:16 PM
Hmm, not hearing back, usually in this forum that's not a good thing

Old 03-05-03, 05:25 PM
Well, I have to admit that sometimes I forget to post back with the end result.

Not a good thing, I know, but off to new projects when I finish one. Am hoping its the same with Rae.

Kay

Old 03-05-03, 06:10 PM
Rae
Hi Everybody, I'm trying to follow the above instruction but is hard to piece everyone's solution together pick the right one.

Will this make the fix? If not, can " the moderator" indicate exactly what I should enter.

"ren a-wind~1 windows"

I will not try this until I hear back from the moderator as the IT store fix is cheap and sure. If I don't get it right, it may turn into a bigger money fix by the computer store. Thanks, Rae

Old 03-05-03, 06:13 PM
Safewatch, looks like the ball is in your court LOL.

Kay

Old 03-05-03, 07:17 PM
I understand completely, Rae. I'm having a hard time myself keeping up with it

I think the conclusion we have all come to here is to use the rename command. I've tried it personally on my computer (NOT using the Windows folder, but a test folder) and it does work fine. Having said that, I'm using WinXP and not Win95, so DOS is totally different for me. So, what I highly recommend is this:
<ul>
<li>Using a startup disk, go to your C: prompt
<li>Create a directory called "test" using "md test" - make sure you are at the "C:\" prompt NOT something like "C:\temp" or any other subdirectory
<li>Using the ren command, change the name of test to test1 or something like that - "ren test test1"
<li>Now, type "dir /p" to show your files and directories (the /p pauses after each full page) - look for test1 (or whatever you renamed your directory) - if it's there, it worked, if not, see if test is there
<li>If that worked, you're ready to rename your windows directory
<li>Type "ren a-wind~1 windows"
<li>Now, run your "dir /p" command again and look for the Windows directory - if it's there, SUCCESS - if not, well, let us know and we'll try something else.
</ul>

Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

PS: I know you don't have a printer, so the easiest thing to do would probably be to write down the instructions. Of course, you don't need them word for word, just write down the commands I gave you. That should be enough to get you back up and running.

Old 03-05-03, 10:56 PM
Move does not truncate longfilenames. See for yourself: enter individually or as a batch.

md "c:\god awe full 2000"
echo right or wrong>"c:\god awe full 2000\another longfilename"
MOVE "C:\god awe full 2000" c:\shortone
dir c:\shortone
type c:\shortone\"another longfilename"
deltree /y c:\shortone

Move creates a new entry then it deletes the source.

Why neither RENAME or MOVE would work as stated:
Assuming a Win9x kernel: In RAEs case, after IO.SYS read MSDOS.SYS, alternately WINBOOt.INI, and then accessed SYSTEM.1ST, {drive:]\WINDOWS was created. The subfolders (directories) DESKTOP, ALL USERS, ALL USERS\DESKTOP, and TEMP, were created within WINDOWS. All... easily verified.

REN or RENAME will not work, because of the duplicate name "[drive:]\WINDOWS". Stating that RENAME is the correct command, doesn't make it so. The only truth was RENAME updates a single entry instead of creating a new entry before deleting the source.

No less than three copies of command.com exist in 9x kernels. Each, is strategically placed, and each, has load assumptions attached to it [directly or indirectly, or combinations of both... depending on the case].

MOVE would not work as I perviously stated, because the destination "[drive:]\WINDOWS" (subfolders) existed. Thus the source could not be opened. For directories MOVE assumes a non existent destination, and source and destination cannot be opened at the same time. No, the source is not deleted until the destination is created or copied to.

After RAE verifies the existence of [drive:]\WINDOWS; verifies that WINDOWS and the subfolders are empty, and then removes them with DELTREE or RD (directories in turn), either RENAME or MOVE may be used to restore the system.

Forging RENAME as "the solution" will leave RAE wondering what he or she is doing wrong. The same applies to MOVE as it was prevously stated.

Old 03-05-03, 11:14 PM
Why neither RENAME or MOVE would work as stated:
Assuming a Win9x kernel: In RAEs case, after IO.SYS read MSDOS.SYS, alternately WINBOOt.INI, and then accessed SYSTEM.1ST, {drive:]\WINDOWS was created. The subfolders (directories) DESKTOP, ALL USERS, ALL USERS\DESKTOP, and TEMP, were created within WINDOWS. All... easily verified.

REN or RENAME will not work, because of the duplicate name "[drive:]\WINDOWS".
Ok, so you're saying that the Windows folder will be created on restart of the computer. Correct?

So instead of going on a rant about why this and that doesn't work, why not just say: "you'll have to rename your windows folder before you do this." Wouldn't that be much easier???

So, as 2000 failed to mention in his/her post, you need to rename your windows folder before you "md windows".

BTW, upon trying to "md windows" this would have been discovered and the only problem is that it wouldn't have worked. No harm would be done.

Thank you 2000 for your input. Maybe in your next post (or response, as I'm sure it will be) you could be a little more selective in your wording. And, remember, this is a DIY forum, not an IT forum, keep your responses in, more or less, laymans terms. Thank you.

Old 03-05-03, 11:28 PM
tae
What if the hard drive were taken out, placed in another computer as a slave or secondary, and then renamed from there?

Old 03-05-03, 11:33 PM
I see what you're saying 2000. The windows file was automatically recreating at bootup, but it is empty. Since renaming would make 2 windows directories, and move can't be done in that case anyway (the two windows files) the windows (empty) has to be dele'd to be able to do either.

Kay

Ps. Do you do linux? LOL

K

Old 03-06-03, 02:14 AM
Why not put the installation CD in the drive and reinstall windows. It would be over by now. Then you could clean up the mess in Windows.

Old 03-06-03, 06:31 AM
Safewatch, I failed to mention both xcopy and debug solutions also.

Kay, I ran red hat for a while, but I enjoy orphan OSes more (shawn is one). Soon I'll be installing lindows. Just for fun.
May I recommend "Mastering Linux", by Arman Danesh, ISBN:0-7821-2341-4.

Old 03-06-03, 06:41 AM
Thanks 2000. Am using Mandrake9 at the moment. Did install RedHat, but it requires too much of my intervention (believe it was 6.0). Will check into the book, and thank you!

Kay

Old 03-06-03, 09:05 AM
Rae
Hello SafeWatch and everyone, Back at the work computer this morning(with no printer...HOW PRIMATIVE!!!). I will try your solution tonite. Also, last evening, I inserted my Sony Recovery CD(I run Windows 95 on a Sony Vaio Computer) in the CD-Rom drive and a "primative" 3-D graphics screen came up with menus to start a recovery. It indicated that it would restore the C drive back to original. I did not persue anything as I thought I might lose programs downloaded thru the years, etc. Thought better to wait for your solution. But at least I have the recovey disc solution.

Also, C:\dir/w This brings up the directory list wide across the screen so I can see all my files and directories. In the list, it shows a directory for WINDOW~1 and a directory for
A-WIND~1 so there are two listings.

Safewatch, I do appreciate you chasing and staying with the immediate facts and solutions. There were sure alot of curve-ball answers thrown in. I will let you know when everything is back to normal. You guys are awesome!!! Thanks, Rae

Old 03-07-03, 09:02 AM
Rae
Hi Everyone, I went for all the marbles late evening. I successfully changed a "test" directory to "test1". Entering
md test(it appeared in my directory with time and date created). Then, renamed it with ren test test1(this change also appeared with a time and date stamp) It worked.

Ready to go with Windows. I entered ren a-wind~1 windows
at the C:\ prompt.

It came back as "duplicate file name or file in use". I didn't know where to go from there??

I got back to the C prompt. Shut the computer down. Then placed the recovery disc in my CD-Rom. The 3-D graphics screen came up and asked if I wanted a partial recovery or full recovery.
I went for the full recovery. It indicated that it would take about 35 minutes. However, the only change it made was an "A:\ prompt" at the top of the graphics screen. ??? Never a "finish" menu.

I think its time to take it in to the doctor. Thanks, everybody for all your help! Rae

Old 03-07-03, 10:17 AM
The reason the rename command would not work is because on reboot, Windows recreated another windows file, but this one is emtpy.

What 2000 explained in his post in KISS terms is that you first need to verify that the Windows folder is actually empty. This is done by (at c prompt)

cd windows
then type dir /p (the /p command makes it only show a page at a time, otherwise if the directory is full so many files will zoom past you that it is amazing LOL). If the windows directory file and sub directory files within the windows directory are truly just empty files, then you can proceed to this command:

(at current prompt) cd c:
this should bring you back to the c prompt. then type in:
deltree c:\windows

you will be asked at this point if you truly want to delete the directory windows and all subdirectories. answer y (for yes). without rebooting!!!! type this command:

ren a-wind~1 windows

This should rename your a-windows back to windows.

Kay

Ps. Thanks 2000 for a complete explanation as to why both the ren and move commands would not work on their own. There were other steps that needed to be taken to make it work.

K.

Old 03-22-03, 10:15 PM
Rae
Talking "The Outcome"

Hi Everyone! A quick note to everyone about the 'outcome' of my renaming windows episode. I will laugh and giggle over this one for a long time. I still don't know why I did it, other than, I had manipulated and massaged thru the years, every possible configuration, setting, file, existing and downloaded program, etc. on my computer at that point. Some how I seemed to keep it up and running thru the years. I took it in the computer shop and told the kid what I had done, begging him not to punish me... He said it should be no problem to rename it back and would have it ready the next day. He said his service rate was $39.00 for this 'lite' service charge. Woo-hoo! That amount was just fine, considering my stupidity. Well, he worked on it for 6 days and could not bring 'my' Windows 95 back up. He would either have to charge me for a new OS 95 or I could upgrade. Also, he would not be able save any of my data. Although sad that I had not saved my address book, I stayed concerned calm and kept cheering him on the whole time. I said "Do your best and that
l be good enough". I choose to move up to 98 SE. The 98 SE upgrade was $100 and he only charged the $39 for labor. Woo-hoo!!! I've had my little trooper back home now for about a week and a half and its doing just fine. He pulled it off!! Woo-hoo!! again! What I'm glad about is before I 'have to' move up to the cumbersome, territorial Win X-P, I have been able to massage on Windows 3.1(in college), Win 95, and now 98SE. We have Window NT (desk) and Windows 2000 on our laptops at work. I have got/get to see how all these OS work and act. My sister has Win ME at home and I get to use that when I visit. This computer will eventually go into the guest bedroom for e-mail and such. If it peters out before, it has been a wonderful little piece of technology. I will bury it in the backyard with honors, no curb-side trash can for my Sony. My computer kid was just a delight. I will surprise him soon with a big batch of baked goodies. I got really, really luck on this one, people. Thanks to all the good folks who take precious time to answer us back. You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!! Godspeed, Rae

Old 03-23-03, 07:30 AM
Rae,

Am glad to hear that every thing turned out great. Thanks for letting us know!

Kay