printer/linux

Old 03-09-03, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
printer/linux

I am still at a no-go with the printer in linux. I thought that I had followed all the instructions carefully from both the printer mfr and from mandrake, linux and even redhat sites. Seems the printer isn't very compatible LOL.

I am running Mandrake 9.0, celeron processor, 256M ram. The printer is the dreaded Lexmark 33.

It printed at one point and then never again. Not sure exactly what I need to be doing. The system seems to think that I'm on a network since I have the lan card for the cable modem, but when i try to configure it as a standalone with cable modem only the programs don't run correctly (offline).

The setup on the printer is currently a sub 4hub port, powered. Hooked to it is sda/smart card reader (port 3 of hub), printer (port 1 of hub) and mouse (port 2). Even when I had only the printer in the sole usb plug in for the computer, i still could not get it to work.

I know that there is a way to make it work, others have. I must be missing something here. Too new to Linux I guess. Am still waiting on a book recommended to me, so the answer may lie there. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, and those that have tried, I appreciate that too.

I don't want to purchase yet another printer since I just got this one about 4 months ago, but at the frustration rate I'm achieving in such a short time I may just consider it a loss and pop for one that is more linux friendly.

Thanks!

Kay

Ps. Did I leave out any other information that is needed? If so, please let me know and I'll try to get it asap.

K.

Old 03-09-03, 07:04 PM
C
It seems to be confusing, but Linux considers any computer and its components to be a network.

Let me see what I can find.

By the way, how did the kids do with Linux the weekend you were gone?

Old 03-09-03, 07:10 PM
C
Have you looked at the forums at www.mandrakeclub.com ?

Old 03-09-03, 07:13 PM
They did great other than the oldest was upset that he couldn't use the burner LOL. I haven't even begun to try that one yet. I'm still working on the updates (like Evolution for mail and updated it as well as the Galeon browser). The printer still has me baffled.

Meagan (12) got upset because she found these 'kewl' surfer images and wanted one as the desktop background. She couldn't get it to work. I explained that it doesn't work the same way as windows, and showed her how to save then load it as a background. She's really smart with the computer, too.

Ian (10)didn't worry with the computer because he was too busy playing "tony hawks" all weekend and Elizabeth (15) is crazy about all the games that are included on Linux. All kinds of board games, card games, and even racing games.

I loved it since I came home to a system that was still in working condition! LOL. I did load AIM onto the system (AOL actually has aim for linux!) with your screen name in case they needed your help. Thanks for being there for them if they had needed your help.

Kay

Old 03-09-03, 07:18 PM
probably did look at the site. I get confused when at one point they talk about Linux, then x86, etc. I'm working on the pages regarding using usb ports on the mandrakelinux site right now. It goes more into detail about the mouse and zipdrive examples than the printer. I've read about printcap, but can't seem to locate the files or directories where they mention them to be. A little confusing. Still trying to learn my way around the 'trees'.

I'll go there next.

Kay

Old 03-11-03, 11:55 AM
arrgghhh

okay, its getting to me now LOL. I am not even going to begin to tell you what I've done to my computer LOL.

right now it isn't in the state it was last night, to say the least...

However...here is something interesting that happened before I 'killed" it. I had rebooted at one point, don't remember why, and was chatting on aim with hubby dearest, too. told him i would disappear but would log back on and we could continue to chat. okay, never happened. booted back up, mouse was gone and i have no idea of how to manuever through anything on Linux without a mouse. Anyhoo...i disconnected the cable modem from the desktop to hook it to the laptop so i could chat again with hubby, and tada....

the printer shot out the test page. that means it has something to do with the ethernet connection? oh well, more drama in the life of kay and linux LOL.

all excited, so i reboot hoping to get the mouse back so i can try the printing deal again, but a no go. since then i've tried fdisk-ing the hard drive to reinstall windows, that's funny. anyway, will try to reinstall linux and go again.

Kay

Old 03-11-03, 01:36 PM
C
If the X-server dies like that, press control-alt-backspace to kill the X-server. This will take you to the command line, similar to a DOS screen. Type startx <enter> to restart the X-server.

To cleanly shutdown when the x-server dies, contol-alt-backspace to kill the server. At the command line type su, the respond the request for the root password, then 'shutdown -r now'. This will shutdown and restart the computer cleanly.

Or control-alt-delete from the command line. Not a clean shutdown, but it will clean up the files when it restarts.

Old 03-13-03, 08:50 PM
I think I may have solved the linux/printer problem LOL. Chris, I'm back at square one today. I don't have linux at all on my computer. Got frustrated and this is what I did (long story, but will hopefully have a great ending):

I tried removing linux after awhile. Couldn't figure it out. After much research on how to get my drive formattable again, I did so but to no avail. Couldn't get windows to read the boot sector. Duh, I forgot to make a boot sector. Anyway, I went to the store today and bought another hard drive. This way I could run windows on one, and linux on the other since during all this time I really needed a printer-able system. Okay, so I get home with the new hard drive and I'm thinking (scary thought) that if I can't get windows to load on my newly reformatted hard drive, how am I going to get it to load on my new hard drive. It would install just fine, but at boot up got the beloved page of "99"s. Duh again, no boot sector. I fdisk-ed once again, but this time added the /mbr and voila', now am using windows once again. Okay, now that I've practiced with the 4g hdd, I will happily install my new 80g hdd tomorrow, and reinstall linux on the 4g. (questions on how to do that to follow LOL).

Problem: couldn't get the printer to work here either. Said it was busy. Hmmmm. OMG. In trying to reset the printer, in which I have found no reference on how to do, I hit the paper feed button and the on/off button at the same time. Bamm, that's when the test pages (45 before I cut the printer off - and I've been working on this printer deal for over a week) start spitting out. After cutting the printer off, unplugging it, letting it rest for awhile (I thought maybe it would reset itself), nope, still busy. However, deleting the printer from windows and reinstalling it did the trick. No more test pages YEAH! Either that, or it was through anyway LOL.

Okay, so what does this mean? I don't know. Apparently it was set up correctly and trying to print all along. The printer got bogged down (after the first sheet?) and wouldn't print anymore. I am wondering if when it doesn't print, or to make it print I have to hit those two buttons? However, it did manage one other sheet when I disconnected the cat5 from the cable modem and hooked the modem up to the laptop computer.

Okay, now the big question: I tried to access my bios yesterday before reformat (linux still full on machine) but it asked for a password. I've never put a password in the bios. I heard that was dangerous if ever you lost the password or it corrupted. Okay, I tried it again after formatting my harddrive thinking maybe linux had the bios, but still a no-go. I haven't tried it with windows installed. My question is, hypothetically, if I were to just use the 80g harddrive and install both windows and linux, how in the heck am I going to enable the dual boot if I can't get into the bios?

Also, if I just install the second drive for windows only (having trouble with source code for graphical stuff on linux ie: web photo album that only comes as source code) how do I determine which drive to boot when? This is getting confusing-er LOL.

Kay

Ps. I am writing this down now (journalizing it) but I still find no rhyme or reason to this stuff.

K.

Old 03-13-03, 09:35 PM
C
To have a dual boot machine on one drive. It does not require any mucking about in the BIOS. Fdisk the drive, create a windows partition and set it active. Leave the rest that goes for Linux unformatted.

Install Windows on the active partition. Windows will ask if you want to use the entire drive, and will show how large a space it means. This should match the space you set aside for Windows. Install Windows.

Next install Linux. It will detect the two partitions, and will ask in the installation if you want to use the entire disk - no. Use some other partitioning arrangement. Follow this course. It will ask about space and show the amount available. This should match what was set aside. Go with a standard installation, and install everything except the servers, unless you need them. Get all the window managers, graphical environments. At the end of the installation, Linux will install a boot loader, probably LILO or GRUB. This will rewrite the master boot record and set a default boot selection for you. Choose what OS you want it to boot into. When it boots, you will have a menu from which to choose. If you do nothing, it will boot into the default after 10 seconds or so. You can select the amount of time.

Take a look at this tutorial on booting more than one OS.
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/i3boot.html

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-03, 10:48 PM
hehe, printed that one out for future reference! maybe I could install redhat, mandrake and win98? redhat looks hard to configure. got it the other day just to look at it, but am too much of a novice to figure it out.

more documentation out there on redhat, though. it appears to be more popular?

Thanks!

kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: