computer freezes when I put cd in cd drive

Old 03-12-03, 12:40 PM
Sabina
Visiting Guest
computer freezes when I put cd in cd drive

I have a Dell 733 with 128 RAM and 30 GH HD. OS is Windows 98 SE.
Every time I insert any cd my computer attempts to read it, the drive lights go on and then the system freezes. If the cd is in the computer before booting, the cd works which tells me that the CD drive is working. The problem seemed to start after I installed and uninstalled a CD creator software by Roxio (the program caused a freeze). Since then I tried a few things: I disabled the autoplay, reinstalled my windows 98 SE (without formating HD), removed and reinstalled the CD drive, checked the connections and still have the problem. The last option I can think of trying is to reformat the HD and start from scratch, but would this help? I would prefer not to do it because I would have to back up a lot of data. Is there anything else I could try? Please help.
Thank you kindly, Sabina

Old 03-12-03, 04:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't reformat.

Have you run scandisk and defrag? I would, if not already done.

Old 03-12-03, 04:46 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
I think reformatting would take care of it, though it is drastic.
It sounds like you have some driver or software from Roxio still in there.

When you removed the CD did you go into control panel and delete it in the systems? If not try that. Leave the CD drive in it wont matter. Restart windows and let it find it and if it asks for drivers give it some you know aren't part of the roxio. Also try putting another CD drive in to see if it freezes, if so then you know it is software.

Do the scan and defrag like mentioned above then maybe try
I would search the sysem files for Roxio stuff and get rid of them. MAKE BACKUPS of the files before, just in case. Also same with register.

To me it sounds like driver problems. Because it sounds like it only happens if the CD is inserted which is probably triggering some action. Also make sure no CD software is running that may be watching for CD insertion.

If nothing else I might try reinstalling Roxio and seeing if it freezes. Then uninstall again it may get some files it missed last time. If all failes then I might think about the formatting.

Just some ideas,
Michael

Old 03-12-03, 07:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a thought. If you installed Roxio, this may be a CD burner. If so, uninstall the original burner program to use Roxio. Having two on the computer can cause problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: