strange problem

Old 03-13-03, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
strange problem

i have a 5 year old pc at home. it is a pentium 2 500 mhz. 96mb of ram windows 98. over the last month we have experienced a problem about 5 or 6 times. after the computer sits idle for a few hours, when we go to use it all the text and icons are all garbled and you can't read anything. after shutting down and powering up the hardrive beeps 4 or 5 times and there is a blank screen. i can shut power off and turn it 0n and it will do the samething . if i go back and try it again a day later it will boot up fine. i use the computer almost every day and it has only happened a few times. any suggestions. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-03, 09:48 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Is this a brand name system? Or a built one? If built what type of motherboard. I would look at the makers website and find the beep codes.

Off hand it sounds like a heat problem, but that is a guess. Maybe a memory problem?

It could be a number of things.

Anything get done to the system, install software, hardware, or anything, before it started?

Old 03-13-03, 09:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nope , nothing has been done to it in a long time. it is not a brand name, it was built by PC Warehouse. i'll check on the motherboard literature. I was leaning towards a heat problem also.