photo folder

Old 03-15-03, 06:57 AM
cuzzx
Visiting Guest
photo folder

in the past if i bring up a picture folder and hit thumbnail you can see all the pictures, something has happened and now when i hit thumbnail nothing happens, can not view thumbnails.
i have to click on each box to view the picture in one of my photo shops.

anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-03, 08:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you haven't already, please read the Sticky post <a href="http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115822">Rules For Posting</a>. We need much more info to be of any help.

Old 03-20-03, 04:28 PM
cuzzx
Visiting Guest
can't view thumbnails

ok;
computer/hewlett packard pavilion xl753
running windows me

have folders on front page that i made to hold pictures.
one year ago i could open any or all folders and hit thumbnail and view each picture in that folder.

about 6 months ago something happened, any folder made after that day(6months ago) that had pictures placed , copyed, saved as into it one could not be viewed with the thumbnail.
you have to click on the thumbnail to pull it up in MGI photosuite to see what that thumbnail is.

ok, if i open one of my older folders and hit thumbnail i can view each thumbnail in that folder, but if i save , copy, insert,etc a image /jpg that one thumbnail will not become viewable.

any help?

Old 03-29-03, 10:31 PM
Cuzzx,

Which version of FrontPage are you using? Here is some MS info regarding the thumbnails in all products. Maybe there is something that can help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...fxSearch_Query

Kay

Old 03-30-03, 06:55 AM
cuzzx
Visiting Guest
files

what is Front Page ?

I have no idea as to what Front Page is.

I was thinking that my problem had something to do with the defaults or set-up or something like that.

Old 03-30-03, 07:37 AM
If you are talking about viewing the thumbnails in Windows Explorer, ME will only display certain types of bitmaps (.jpg, .bmp and maybe some others.

Have you changed the type of pictures you are placing in the folders?

Old 03-30-03, 08:03 AM
cuzzx
Visiting Guest
files

all was ok until i got a new sony camera for christmas .
before i had a sony camera that used the floppy and i could take pix , insert the floppy, and hit thumbnail to view the pictures.

now with the new camera, sony with memory stick.
take picture, usb cable camera to computer, save or copy pix to folder. after doing this i can't view the thumbnail in that folder.
i have to open the thumbnail to see the picture, it opens into
MGI Photo Suite which is the save as before.

i have no idea if the new sony camera and its loading ways changed what happened or if something just happened about that time.

but my older folders seam to still work ok.

if i place one of the new pictures into an older folder that one thumbnail will no be viewable, but the others are.

any ideas?

Old 03-30-03, 08:19 AM
cuzzx wrote:
have folders on front page that i made to hold pictures
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant the web publishing/editor program called FrontPage.

I'm sorry my mistake.

Kay

Old 03-30-03, 09:37 AM
Sounds like the new camera might be outputting higher resolution pics that might not be compatible with the thumbnail viewer settings.

and i could take pix , insert the floppy, and hit thumbnail to view the pictures.
When you say "...hit thumbnail...," , what program is running at that time?

I am assuming there is a Sony or like program that came with your first camera that handled the transfer, viewing and organizing of your pictures. You might try searching that application's website for an upgrade that would be compatible with your new camera.

Old 03-30-03, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, here's the deal with pictures taken in digital cameras:

From <a href="http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/">http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/</a>:
The files coming out of a pretty much all Digital cameras are in the Exif flavour of Jpeg files. Exif files are for the most part Jpeg files, but start with a different header block, and contain additional data sections with camera settings, as well as a preview thumbnail picture as part of the Exif header. Most editing / viewing software just skips past the Exif header and ignores it outright, so you normally don't notice its even there.
Basically, what you have is a header that is added to the JPG images by the camera. This tells what settings were used for each pic and includes a thumbnail for viewing on the LCD. My guess is that your camera is putting this header in and your software/OS does not recognize it as so and does not skip it. So your software/OS thinks it's not an actual pic.

I would think ME would recognize this header and skip it, but I haven't used ME in so long, I really couldn't tell you.

It's also possible that your camera is using an incompatible header.

Good luck!