PS2 Mod Chip

Old 03-16-03, 09:27 PM
AVGJOE35
Visiting Guest
Cool PS2 Mod Chip

Does anyone have experience with these mod chips for PS2 ? Was considering purchasing one but wanted to know if they actually worked 1st..

If so is there a trusty place to get one w/instuctions on burning the games?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-03, 06:20 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
They work. They allow you to play backup copies of your games.

Old 03-17-03, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could you explain the chip to me? Does it go into your computer and you can burn ps games with a regular burner? Or, do you install it in your ps2? Also, does it only work with ps2 games or also with psone? I am so tired of having to replace games where the kids either step on them (breaks) or scratches on them to the point where they won't play anymore. Would be great to have a 'backup' copy of them.

Kay

Ps. We only have a PSone since the kids are so rough on the disks. Until they get better with them, I won't pop that much money for a PS2 (even tho I'd would LOVE to have one LOL).

K.

Old 03-17-03, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kay, the PS mod chip goes inside the game console. If you're not familiar with soldering small parts and working on components, your best bet is to have someone install it for you.

There are also special disk that will let you power up the PS, then switch to whatever disk you want to play.

Now, let me explain what I mean by that. PS games use special disks that have a bad sector on them (I forget which one now, it's been a while) so that when the console powers up, it checks for that bad sector on the disk. If it doesn't find it, it goes to the CD player option. With the mod chip installed, it skips that check. With the "special" disk inserted, it has the bad sector, so it thinks it's a game. The disk then let's you put in your game. I've used those disks before though, the mod chip is much better.

I haven't searched for them in a while, but try a google search, I'm sure you'll find someone. As far as a "reputable" company who deals in mod chips??? Good luck. We are talking about a mod chip to play illegal games (even though you are allowed to make 1 backup copy of each game.) Oh, one more thing, last time I checked it was about $10-15 for a mod chip (DIY), and about $25-$30 to ship off the PS and have one installed. But that's been over a year now.

Old 03-17-03, 09:08 AM
I'd like to have something like that, but even though I'm not a prude, I would worry about my kids bootlegging games. I've already had to remove the burning software from my computer since they were (honestly) making copies of cd's and selling them to other kids at school.

I guess that I've been wrong in my burner, too. I will buy one cd that the kids like, and burn several copies (one for each of them, usually with only the songs they like). If I'm only allowed one copy then I'm two over that with each cd.

I just love my burner for backups though. So simple, so accurate!

Kay

Old 03-17-03, 09:38 AM
AVGJOE35
Visiting Guest
From what I understand the mod chip for PS2 is just a plug in and you can use cdrw discs.
What's this about a special disc??

Old 03-17-03, 06:11 PM
modchip.com is your source for chips. They have versions for each playstatoin.

Old 03-17-03, 07:28 PM
AVGJOE35
Visiting Guest
Thanks JoeD. I'll check that out.

Have you or anyone bought one from them? I just what to be sure I don't get dooped.

Old 03-18-03, 06:18 AM
There was a guy at work who used to install them. I'm not 100% sure but I think he got them for modchip.com

Old 03-26-03, 09:31 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
It has nothing to do with CDRW discs, it has to do with original PS2 discs, as there is a certain PS2 only readable portion
that the PS2 looks for, which cannot be copied when a disc is duplicated.

What the chip does is trick the PS2 into thinking a copied disc
has that uncopyable data.

Old 03-26-03, 09:45 AM
i have experience w/ both model for psone. i got the plug in model for mine, cause i didnt feel good about opening up the box to do the mod. it plugged into the back of the psone. it worked fine and i think it cost $35, but that was a while ago. it was from modchips.com. my buddy at work got the solder in type and he had no problems at well. he did need to get help with burning disks tho.(i still live in the dark ages and have no burner ). the site where he (we) got the info was playstationfun.com. i dont know if the site is still active, but thats the scoop, and both worked well. now that i have the ps2, ive given over my psone to the kids. i wonder if it misses all the games i used to play(NASCAR, syphon filter, kings field, NHL), cause now its relegated to sesame street, dragon tales, and scooby doo!!