XP Conflicts???

Old 03-29-03, 07:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
XP Conflicts???

I'm trying to get my boss's Dell 2600 Inspiron working. Celeron 1.8 Gig, 20 gig HD, 256 pc133 ram, XP Home, Office, Nero Express,etc..

It started responding very, very slowly and he claims it started after he started using "Incredimail".

Add/Remove programs would not remove it, so I went to the registry and deleted all incredimail related keys. Then deleted all incredimail files off hard drive.

It seemed to help a little, but it still runs very slow, boots terribly slow, and I get the handy Microsoft error message wanting me to send a report to them when I try to start most NON-Microsoft programs.

Have Norton Systemworks 2002 installed, no viruses found, but it will not let me use any of the norton utilities apps..get the Microsoft error report message.

Have used MS defrag, error checking, deleted all temp files, cookies, etc. The Add/Remove programs app will not let me uninstall nero, etc.

Still runs very slowly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-29-03, 07:08 AM
B
Forgot,

All critical Windows updates have been installed

Old 03-29-03, 07:10 AM
B
Forgot again, getting old..

hard drive is accessed almost continuously when trying to do anything

Old 03-29-03, 08:00 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First of all, Incredimail sucks. We had someone just recently post about having problems with it. I think it may have some Ad-ware or Spy-ware in it or something. Run Ad-aware and some of the other programs suggested on the boards to remove all ad-wares. Of course, scandisk/defrag in Safe Mode. Check MSCONFIG to see what's being started. Change your Virtual Memory to about 512Mb Min and Max - make it fixed so that Windows doesn't keep changing it and moving it, that causes a lot of HD activity and really slows the computer. You may also want to run a registry cleaner and possibly a DLL archiver, but be careful with the DLL archiver - don't just take out all DLL's it finds (btw, I say archiver and not remover for a reason - you can restore them if you have to.) Of course, run an AV scan too. HD activity can sometimes be caused by virii on the computer. Can't hurt to check, run a complete scan, all file types.

The main thing is to get all the start-up programs terminated. If you do that and you still have too much activity, there's something else going on, like possibly a virus.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-03, 09:34 AM
B
thanx..will try those..think I may have also found a driver conflict

Old 03-29-03, 07:32 PM
B
Well, Brandon, I've been working on it most of the day and probably have it solved. Deleted bad drivers, scandisked, defragged, etc., etc.

The biggest villian was a Dell program that is support related. It somehow got conflicted and slowed EVERYTHING down.

I am now doing a full viruscan after a reinstall of Norton, and I suspect it will be ok.

I got Spybot involved and found quite a few problems, along with RegCleaner.

There was a lot of trash in the registry !!!

Thanks for your help.........

a memo is going out Monday for everyone at work to get rid of Incredimail

Old 03-31-03, 08:10 PM
T
Every time something like this pops up the first thing I do is run Msconfig and disable everything that doesn't absolutely need to run. SafeMode is nice too, but I have more control running the regular boot and playing with MSconig.

Old 04-02-03, 08:12 PM
Drivr
Visiting Guest
It might have been easier to roll back XP to a date before the suspect program was installed. One of the great things about XP is the ability to retore itself to a ealier configuration after a bad install.

Old 04-02-03, 09:26 PM
B
I tried that, but Mr. Gates did not have any restore dates for me at that point. He does now!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: