system resources?

Old 04-06-03, 06:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
system resources?

i have a gateway essetial 550 with 128 mb ram. its seems that my ram getting eatin up pretty easly, i have to reboot quite often to be able to surf the web ( phone line ). after i reboot my system resources are anywhere 77% to 85% free but as i notice the slow down im running about 57% to 63%. is this common or are there things i can do to help this out?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-03, 06:22 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like it's your DUN (Dial-Up Networking) that's the problem, not your computer. This is typical with dial-up. There was a fix at one time, but I haven't seen it in years (haven't used dial-up in years.) Check the MS.com site for the fix, or someone else here may know where to get it. You might also try running the Windows Update.

Of course, I have no idea what OS you're running or what kind of hardware you have, so I can't be of much help. Sorry.

Old 04-06-03, 06:41 PM
M
i have win98se.i think the kids play the sims game and that is the problem i think i eats up alot of resources but i dont have a clue

Old 04-06-03, 06:55 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
56% resources is not that low. You could try a memory manager like Memo Kit or the Norton Utilities. I think System Mechanic has a memory manager built-in also. But, more than anything, setting your Virtual Memory to 256Mb fixed (min and max) would probably help more than anything.

Of course, do all the norms like running scandisk, defrag, ad-aware, etc. And also run MSCONFIG to see what programs are being run at startup.