Help - My Laptop is dying!!!

Old 04-09-03, 08:08 AM
Sean Dolier
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help - My Laptop is dying!!!

Hi Guys.
I have a Samsung Sens Pro 500 Laptop. 150mhz Pentium, 32mb RAM, 2.1Gig HD.
I was having trouble and there was a lot of un-needed junk going back to AD 97 slowing me down so I formatted the hard drive thinking that I would be able to boot from Windows 98 CD and have a fresh installation of Windows. However it will not boot from any CD even though boot from CD is a BIOS option. I have no floppy drive for my laptop. I have a serial and parallel port, no USB. I also have an external Iomega parallel zip drive. I tried making a bootable Zip disk but it can only see one drive so I am stuck on C:\
Any ideas?
Thank you...

Old 04-09-03, 08:27 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You obviously still have internet access on another computer, I assume. So, if you also have access to a CD burner, you could burn another CD as bootable, then boot from that CD to DOS and run setup from the other CD. Obviously, unless your install CD is a RW, then you won't be able to do anything with it.

Good luck!

BTW, if you need the boot image for CD's, try a Google search. They are all over the internet, just try to get one from a somewhat reliable source. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

Booting from Zip won't work, as you have to load the Zip drivers before the drive is recognized. You could always get an external floppy for the computer, they are fairly cheap, but unnecessary I believe.

Old 04-09-03, 08:28 AM
How did you format the hard drive? Were you able to use the Win98 disk to do that?

Kay

Old 04-09-03, 08:33 AM
I use bootdisk.com

Old 04-09-03, 09:05 AM
T
Not all Windows disks are bootable. You should have no problem adding a CDROM driver (off the Win98CD) to the ZIP boot disk. You can also try a diferent Win disk.

Old 04-09-03, 02:05 PM
Sean Dolier
Visiting Guest
Hi guys - Yup, I have my "main" PC so I have net access and I have a CD-RW, tried creating a boot CD to no avail. I just formatted from DOS prompt Kay.
On way to bootdisk.com to see what I can dig up...
I am running out of ideas fast so keep em coming....

Old 04-09-03, 02:20 PM
Thanks, just learning from all this. Have no advice, sorry.

Kay

Ps. Took me awhile to understand why after reformatting my hard drive with fdisk (trying to get a TOTALLY clean disk) that I forgot one minor detail: writing the MBR LOL.

K.

Old 04-09-03, 02:39 PM
Sean Dolier
Visiting Guest
Ok Kay...
One more thing...
My Laptop has a PCMCIA slot so I suppose I could go down the road of networking...
I am not au fait with networking so any ideas on that...?
Or connecting via serial port to my other pc?
C'mon guys the marines have pulled down Saddams statue now lets get back to important matters....
My laptop ha ha ha...

Old 04-09-03, 04:22 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you try trinitro's idea of adding the CD drivers to the Zip disk? Upon re-reading your first post, I noticed that your problem booting from Zip was that you had no CD drive. Simply adding the CD's .sys driver file (make the proper reference to it in config.sys) and adding mscdex.exe and load it from autoexec.bat should give you CD support after booting from Zip.

I didn't think you could boot a Zip disk, but I don't use them anymore either.

Old 04-10-03, 06:07 AM
Sean Dolier
Visiting Guest
Thank you thus far people.
I am now thinking of direct cable connection. Serial to serial got me nowhere using Windows direct cable connection.
If I use a parallel to parallel, can I link my stuck on DOS laptop connected to Win98 host. Also do I need other software or will Windows direct cable connection suffice?
Ta...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: